IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wingless 2012 INDYCAR?
12/11/09, 3:09 PM   #1
Wingless 2012 INDYCAR?
DonRacer

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-the-2012-car/

Roger Penske said on Wind Tunnel a few months ago
that he would like to see it.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
12/11/09, 3:37 PM   #2
Re: Wingless 2012 INDYCAR?
Pat O'Connor Fan

12/11/09, 7:26 PM   #3
sc96

I wonder if they might go back to front engine cars.

12/11/09, 7:32 PM   #4
wbr

Thats probably why Danica is going to nascar.

12/11/09, 10:12 PM   #5
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
I wonder if they might go back to front engine cars.
I don't think the new 2012 INDY CAR series wants Front Engine, but,If the Gold Crown Series Brain Trust embraced the, "Innovation for Fun Principal", and allowed the any engine that fits under the hood rule, I think you would see a competitive "You Better Lift in the Corners" race at the IMS.
lol,

Don
Last edited by DonRacer; 12/11/09 at 10:14 PM.

12/12/09, 12:38 PM   #6
mtek56

[url]http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/concept_cars/honda_indy_racing_car.html

This seems to me to be the start of innovation back at the speedway. It also appears that the present management has finally waken up and started a formula to move forward to put the 500 back at the top of all the worlds' races. I hope as this moves forward, more and more global manufacturers will attempt to be involved with Indianapolis. Surely this will be a good thing for the 500. Historically and traditionally this race was and should be about innovation.
Last edited by mtek56; 12/12/09 at 12:43 PM.

12/12/09, 2:13 PM   #7
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtek56 View Post
[url]http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/concept_cars/honda_indy_racing_car.html

This seems to me to be the start of innovation back at the speedway. It also appears that the present management has finally waken up and started a formula to move forward to put the 500 back at the top of all the worlds' races. I hope as this moves forward, more and more global manufacturers will attempt to be involved with Indianapolis. Surely this will be a good thing for the 500. Historically and traditionally this race was and should be about innovation.
I couldn't disagree with you more. The Honda concept car is interesting to look at, but so were the concept cars of those students that were posted a couple of years ago.

You are correct that innovation has traditionally been an important part of the Indy 500. However, that innovation was evolved slowly over decades in small garages by mechanics with small budgets. But over time the engineers with large budgets have revoluntionized racing. And by doing so, they have also priced themselves out of the market. True engineers are still employeed by race teams at the top levels, but no new cars have been designed for Indy in nearly a decade.

More global manufacturers? Not no, but HELL NO! And no to domestic manufacturers either. They are the most responsible for the problems that Indy car currently has. And their contribution? Driving up the price of the biggest race in the world to the point that they can barely field 33 spec cars.

12/13/09, 12:10 PM   #8
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky161 View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more. The Honda concept car is interesting to look at, but so were the concept cars of those students that were posted a couple of years ago.

You are correct that innovation has traditionally been an important part of the Indy 500. However, that innovation was evolved slowly over decades in small garages by mechanics with small budgets. But over time the engineers with large budgets have revoluntionized racing. And by doing so, they have also priced themselves out of the market. True engineers are still employeed by race teams at the top levels, but no new cars have been designed for Indy in nearly a decade.

More global manufacturers? Not no, but HELL NO! And no to domestic manufacturers either. They are the most responsible for the problems that Indy car currently has. And their contribution? Driving up the price of the biggest race in the world to the point that they can barely field 33 spec cars.
"Engineers work to develop economical and safe solutions to practical problems, by applying mathematics and scientific knowledge while considering technical constraints."

Don't blame the engineers, they delivered exactly what the powers that be wanted.

Now, according to Millers article the powers that be want something new.

1. Excite the younger generation
2. Drastically reduce the cost
3. Maintain the safety integrity, and speeds of the past decade.
4. Reduce waste
5. Bring back innovation to the Indianapolis 500

What's wrong with that?

12/13/09, 3:25 PM   #9
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRacer View Post
"Engineers work to develop economical and safe solutions to practical problems, by applying mathematics and scientific knowledge while considering technical constraints."

Don't blame the engineers, they delivered exactly what the powers that be wanted.

Now, according to Millers article the powers that be want something new.

1. Excite the younger generation
2. Drastically reduce the cost
3. Maintain the safety integrity, and speeds of the past decade.
4. Reduce waste
5. Bring back innovation to the Indianapolis 500

What's wrong with that?
I wouldn't disagree with your statement about engineers. However, what they came up with in doing that is no longer economical.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with those general goals except there is nothing of substance to indicate what they are doing to reach those goals.

1. That's a good goal. But this car might not do that and if it doesn't what then?

2. That car as pictured almost surely can do nothing to drastically reduce cost. Nothing in the text of the article supports the idea that it would do so. The cost of the cars is no longer the main problem in Indycars. I'm not saying they aren't too high because they are too high. But even if the cars were free the cost to campaign an Indycar far exceeds the available revenue.

3. They already have cars that will do that.

4. See #3 above. How will making the current car obsolete reduce waste? What is being wasted now with the current car?

5. As I already said, innovation will do nothing but drive the cost even higher than they are today.

All of that is simply wishful thinking. If Honda who has lots of money is so excited about this car, how much money have they spent on it?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wingless 2012 INDYCAR?