IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dohc cylinder heads
12/4/09, 11:58 PM   #1
Dohc cylinder heads
DonRacer

DOHC CYLINDER HEADS

Any one out there besides Me, think they should be legal for all sprint cars?

Thanks,
Don Flanders

12/5/09, 1:32 PM   #2
Re: Dohc cylinder heads
TQ29m

Don, there are several ways to look at this question. First off, I don't have a dog in this fight, but to my limited knowledge, what engines would you propose using, as DOHC is not an across the board available motor, especially in a V8 version, at least that most racers could/would have access to. Second, if you're thinking of Sprint cars, I doubt anyone would be in favor of it, and if it were allowed, even on a trial basis, I don't think you'd get a big following. Maybe in 10 years, but now, not a good idee. JMO! Bob

12/5/09, 5:34 PM   #3
racephoto1

I would have to politely disagree. There are so many different avenues to go down with DOHC motors. Foriegn and domestic. Alot of people forget how much success the Ford/Foyt motors were. It is like everything else though, MONEY.

12/5/09, 6:27 PM   #4
TQ29m

My thought was this, how many motors are already in the pipeline, I'm talking motors that are in use right now, "flatdead's" if that's what you want to call them, to allow "just any" DOHC" would be like tying the Fox to a stake,and turning the dogs loose, the dogs being the current engines. A lot of us can remember when the "new OHV" engines came on the scene, Roy Prosser was the first one I can remember, and it may have been a Plymouth, or Studebaker, but it was fast, now if you say DOHC, look for an Indy Honda to appear, or some of the other "available for a price" motors. I don't think it is time to go there, the DOHC Fords were nice to listen to, but even the guys that could afford them, couldn't afford the maint on them. True, the newer engines are a lot more reliable than the early ones, and someday it will come about, but lets not "push" it yet, as it is, what cars and teams we have now, are pressed for $$, and it might even be cheaper, in the long run, but the cost to make the change, would it be worth it? I'd like to see a field of flathead's and Rangers again, but that ain't likely! And don't forget the 270 GMC's. Bob

12/5/09, 10:13 PM   #5
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRacer View Post
DOHC CYLINDER HEADS

Thanks,
Don Flanders
All sprint cars? Including Racesaver Sprint Series that bases much of it's success on a $1200 complete Brodix aluminum head (pr) on 305 engines? How about the ASCS which has a head rule that seems to work for them, seeing that they had entries over 100 at their Short Track Nationals? Or even the WoO who due to high engine costs only have about 15 cars that do the entire schedule?

What in the world would be the advantage of going to a head that almost surely would be more expensive, probably MUCH more expensive that what they already have?

If it cost more and doesn't make racing better or safer, then we don't need it.

12/6/09, 11:48 AM   #6
old timer

I think your DOHC will be legal at Paragon however if you have a 4cammer I would think selling it will make more money than winning all the races.

12/6/09, 12:25 PM   #7
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRacer View Post
DOHC CYLINDER HEADS

Thanks,
Don Flanders
Just one more comment/question. Where, and for what engine are these heads available? As for as I know, unlike the Ardun conversion in the 1940's, which was an overhead conversion, not actually moving the valve train, and cams, to the head, you just don't buy a kit, and put them on the most popular engine, currently in use in Sprint cars, there would be a lot of expense involved, including a lot of machine work to the engine block, to make this conversion. Don't think so! Bob

12/6/09, 2:40 PM   #8
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
My thought was this, how many motors are already in the pipeline, I'm talking motors that are in use right now, "flatdead's" if that's what you want to call them, to allow "just any" DOHC" would be like tying the Fox to a stake,and turning the dogs loose, the dogs being the current engines. A lot of us can remember when the "new OHV" engines came on the scene, Roy Prosser was the first one I can remember, and it may have been a Plymouth, or Studebaker, but it was fast, now if you say DOHC, look for an Indy Honda to appear, or some of the other "available for a price" motors. I don't think it is time to go there, the DOHC Fords were nice to listen to, but even the guys that could afford them, couldn't afford the maint on them. True, the newer engines are a lot more reliable than the early ones, and someday it will come about, but lets not "push" it yet, as it is, what cars and teams we have now, are pressed for $$, and it might even be cheaper, in the long run, but the cost to make the change, would it be worth it? I'd like to see a field of flathead's and Rangers again, but that ain't likely! And don't forget the 270 GMC's. Bob
"I'm talking motors that are in use right now, "flatdead's" if that's what you want to call them, to allow "just any" DOHC" would be like tying the Fox to a stake,and turning the dogs loose, the dogs being the current engines."

I think the real question here is, can a non-wing sprint car that uses the DT3 spec tire handle more HP then is currently available with the 410 OHV engine?

If the answer is no, then all of the existing "Dogs" would still be in the hunt.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dohc cylinder heads