IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some Solutions for the Betterment of Midget Racing
7/17/09, 3:03 PM   #41
Re: Some Solutions for the Betterment of Midget Racing
MRAY3

Don,

Where did I make any specific mention of your race team or discuss how you conduct your race team business? How you conduct your race team business is of no concern to me. Thankfully, the manner in which you conduct anything has no affect on me. However, since you logged onto a race oriented public forum and submitted your opinions about how midget racing should be conducted in this country, whether you like it or not, people are going to respond. Perhaps I could have chosen to word my response a little more carefully. I’ll try it one more time. “If a car owner feels so strongly that his or her car has finished behind a car that does not meet the specifications set forth in the rule book, he or she can submit a protest.” Would that be “on topic” enough for you? As far as giving unsolicited advice, or micro managing anything, who solicited advice from you regarding how midget racing should be conducted in this country? Are you trying to micro manage midget racing? You see, I happen to respect the right of all citizens of this country to express their opinion, whether I happen to agree with their opinions or not.

Mark Ray

2 members like this post: Rex W., Seadog
7/17/09, 3:07 PM   #42
DonMoore10

The big tracks are motor eaters for sure. The other issue is the Esslinger engine horsepower that one must compete against on the bigger tracks. A very well known engine builder recently told me that they have nothing that can compete with an Esslinger. Thank the big box org for giving them the extra cubic inches a few years ago for making most other engines has beens. Yes there are other engines on a given night that can compete, but the word on the street is that if you want to run up front, you need an Esslinger.

7/17/09, 4:10 PM   #43
rocket5612

I didn't see your "race team" if you want to call it that, even mentioned in the post. Nobody specific was mentioned. By the way, in order to have a "race team" don't you actually have to show up at a track and race. Simply owning a car and sitting at home does not make you a racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Any specific mention of my race team is off topic. This thread is not about how I conduct my race team business nor is it about giving me unsolicited advice. This is a general discussion about ideas to further the sport of midget racing. Filing protests and referring to my car finishing behind another is not on topic. the previous post by Revolution Racing is a good example of someone who is on topic. Again, if you want to give me personal advice, e.g. filing protests or want to micro manage my race team, please call me directly at 440-355-4407 rather than addressing me personally on the internet.

Don Moore

7/19/09, 12:36 AM   #44
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar64 View Post
This was taken from the Indy Star today:http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...otential+races

"Also, next week is USAC's engine manufacturer meeting that will focus on a new platform for the midget division. There are currently five manufacturers, and engine life and a green initiative are at issue.

Engines that produce upwards of 380 horsepower have been exploding at an alarming rate."They're like bombs ready to go off," USAC president Kevin Miller said.

Honda officials are expected to join those from Ford, General Motors, Toyota and Mopar at the Wednesday meeting at USAC's office on 16th Street."
The book written by Jack Fox and published in 1977 , " The Mighty Midget " lists approximately 125 midget engine manufacturers known since 1933. A time was seen that there could be as many different engines in a starting field as there were cars. The competition between the multiple and varied builders was credited with keeping much of the product affordable. "And now we're down to 5 ?"

Maybe Honda could come on board as the sole supplier with a spec sealed engine and with the demise of Indy Car ( beware the bean-counters ) the "500" could become a Midget race !:2:

< Tony George ( as seen leaving a family meeting )

7/19/09, 2:01 AM   #45
JEFFSTOY

i dont care what it takes, but why cant a prestiges event like the HUT 100 have a full field when there are 295 midgets for a race in the middle of winter? HUT 100 IS IN JEAPORDY OF BEING CANCELLED BECAUSE OF CAR COUNT. something needs to be done.

7/19/09, 12:01 PM   #46
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
The book written by Jack Fox and published in 1977 , " The Mighty Midget " lists approximately 125 midget engine manufacturers known since 1933. A time was seen that there could be as many different engines in a starting field as there were cars. The competition between the multiple and varied builders was credited with keeping much of the product affordable. "And now we're down to 5 ?"

Maybe Honda could come on board as the sole supplier with a spec sealed engine and with the demise of Indy Car ( beware the bean-counters ) the "500" could become a Midget race !:2:

< Tony George ( as seen leaving a family meeting )
Take out the manufacturer's support and make it mandatory that race teams build their own motors or have an engine builder do the work. Isn't Esslinger backed by that F-word vehicle company? Remove Chevy, Mopar, Toyota, and F-word from backing teams and make engines be team built or outside engine builder.

This is what happened to the Indycar series and look what has happened to it? It's dead.

7/19/09, 3:23 PM   #47
wolmidget

Forget about the engines, put everyone on the IRS tire and the high dollar engines will be irrelvant.The cars will be slowed down and the price of racing will be lowered.

7/19/09, 4:16 PM   #48
DonRacer

7. Develop a plan to neutralize engines so that expensive power plants are not an issue.

Number 4 would take care of number 7 if the testing were done by those actually interested in the betterment of the sport.
Do it for the Sprints as well as the midgets.

4. Do some scientific on track testing with various tires, compounds, wheel sizes etc etc using third party drivers and cars. Forget about this opinion and that opinion. The scientific data will tell the story.

7/19/09, 6:49 PM   #49
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket5612 View Post
I didn't see your "race team" if you want to call it that, even mentioned in the post. Nobody specific was mentioned. By the way, in order to have a "race team" don't you actually have to show up at a track and race. Simply owning a car and sitting at home does not make you a racer.
That was the best post of this entire thread.

7/19/09, 8:50 PM   #50
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
That was the best post of this entire thread.
And neither one of you have a clue in China what the topic is about.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some Solutions for the Betterment of Midget Racing