IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl format
1/15/24, 11:46 AM   #21
Re: Chili Bowl format
Jonr

I would not change a thing. I know a lot of people want to move the lower mains to Friday. If they did this, many fans would stay away. Knoxville had issues getting people to Friday for many years until they went with the current format.

3 members like this post: Blitzman, BrentTFunk, Radicle
1/15/24, 12:20 PM   #22
Hubie48

Yes, I noticed the wheel breakage as well. There are no doubt some really flimsy car running out there. I know racers who go and they all lighten everything up. The one guy hit the cage pretty good bending the tubes about his head. I am sure he is thanking his lucky stars!

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
1/15/24, 1:30 PM   #23
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post
I watched all of it and enjoyed it. It is a tournament and it is very difficult for sure.

Logan Seavey and Buddy Kofoid are special talents for sure. I was crushed for TMez but when I look at it from the perspective of roles reversed I think the outcome is the same. I have never been to the Chili Bowl and thinking as a fan this might be a TV event!

Congrats Logan, what a great week. My opinion is Seavey's talent would span any discipline of Autoracing with some experience. Meaning, F1, Indycar, NASCAR Cup, whatever you wanted Logan could figure out how.
You should go some time...its an "event", much better live than on TV

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
1/15/24, 1:31 PM   #24
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
The rubber down track was unacceptable for this event. I know people complain about the other way when it’s hammer down for the first half, but I’ll take that any day over rubber. You can’t put lipstick on that pig. I’m not trying to be negative about it, it’s a great event, and I’m sure they didn’t want it either, so mistakes were made. We couldn’t believe how early they got done last night, and every night except for Monday. But I would much rather have them work the track another half hour and actually have a race for the win. Call me negative if you want but there’s nothing exciting about one lane rubber tracks. And the tire manufacturer is is also culpable to a degree as well
Thats how I feel too
Not sure about blaming tire manufacturers tho... please explain?

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
1/16/24, 9:36 AM   #25

Rubber or not the track needs more character. You have character you have guys making mistakes. It forces guys to run in other areas. Not a fan of the long delays on Saturday. Totally different flow from the rest of the week.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
1/16/24, 1:13 PM   #26
Hubie48

Yes it is, but remember the Saturday is the TV extravaganza.

I started watching at 10 am Indy time and didn't turn the set off until well after the A main finished
It was a very enjoyable day. I built a 1/25 Monogram Cobra at my kitchen table!

4 members like this post: duel, flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing, jdull99
1/16/24, 2:04 PM   #27
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Thats how I feel too
Not sure about blaming tire manufacturers tho... please explain?
I heard smthn about a different compound? Is that possible that a majority of the field were running them?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/16/24, 7:06 PM   #28
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I heard smthn about a different compound? Is that possible that a majority of the field were running them?
Everybody is running the Hoosier SP3 right rear. The softer SP2 and even softer RD12 are out of production and were not legal this year. The SP3 probably has a stiffer sidewall construction than the RD12. Functionally it has to be stiffer, because the SP3 is designed to be an 82" tire on a 12" rim and the RD12 was designed to be an 84" tire on a 12" rim. Plus, some of us are required to run SP3s on 10" rims, so I know there were both 10" and 12" combinations in the building. The sidewall stiffness was a subject of conversation, as was the impact of the harder compound in terms of wearing out the track. The tire spec change was lauded as a major factor in the track holding up on prelim nights, but then Clinton Boyles threw me for a loop when he said the harder tire was responsible for the track taking rubber in Saturday's A because the harder tire would slip where the softer tire wouldn't.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, jdull99
1/16/24, 7:18 PM   #29
TQ29m

I guess I can believe that, sounds plausible, although I've been out of touch for a while

1/16/24, 8:11 PM   #30
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
...but then Clinton Boyles threw me for a loop when he said the harder tire was responsible for the track taking rubber in Saturday's A because the harder tire would slip where the softer tire wouldn't.
That confused me, too, Dad. I always thought the harder tire would give up less rubber than the softer. That is why they had the harder tire - to make them last longer.

But I am not going to argue with Clinton. I can kind of see the logic in what he said when you take in track conditions ALONG with the hardness of the tires. His insight during the week was second to none in any other form of motorsports. Especially when analyzing crash damage on the cars from the announcers' booth.

I just wondered why he threw the flurry of "s" bombs at the one point later in the evening.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl format