IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Eldora #letsracetwo results: 7/17/2019
7/18/19, 3:42 PM   #11
captrat

The old track was definitely banked more severely. Was there for the first time in 1967, if you only were there beginning in 1980 you have not seen all Eldora's surface had to offer. Yes, sometimes there was dust, particularly on day races, but frankly like we see now. It used to be a place where I would take new potential fans for the competition and blinding speed. Would never do that today. Anything you can write your initials in the dust on an empty seat there is an issue. Yes, I was there last night. So why is it this way? Many factors including the track configuration and prep, huge soft tires, the surface material, and a desire to make it a track for many various types of racing. I still go, but each time it gets a little harder. I know the following comparison is not completely valid, but here goes. I took NASCAR friends to Eldora and Haubstadt. Result: return to Eldora, naw been there done that-Haubstadt "when is the next race?"

4 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Eatin Dirt, flagboy55, ronmil
7/18/19, 5:12 PM   #12
Re: Usac: Eldora #letsracetwo results: 7/17/2019
chathamracefan

I think basically the "old" Eldora was cupped around the top so the highest banking was at the top and was incredibly fast (dangerous also). They still haul the mail around that joint. I was there for the Mopar Million & the Mopar Thuder the following year. Now it is a more even banking from top to bottom so the flat part at the bottom is not that much slower than the top. Track is real wide in the corners so that distance saved is quite a bit.

Crazy thing is the late model track record was set just a few years ago in a day race on Saturday during World 100 weekend after the Friday night show was rained out. It was an around the bottom lap. Most of the big late model features are won by the guy that can run the bottom effectively. Or at least runs it enough so that he has enough car left to bang the cushion later in the race when needed.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Eldora #letsracetwo results: 7/17/2019