IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Driver's Call for Help from Other Drivers
2/21/17, 10:58 PM   #11
Re: A Driver's Call for Help from Other Drivers
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman92 View Post
Us non-kids appreciate you coming over to the stands so we can say hi and wish you good luck as we don't usually get over to the pits. Keep doing what you're doing and for sure count on the Morgans to buy some tshirts.
Met J J at LPS last summer . Super nice guy . Hopefully more drivers follow . Good luck this year . See you in April .

2/22/17, 12:11 AM   #12
fanatic

This is great to hear I have a great story about a driver helping me out once. Wyatt who drove the orange 81 pavement sprint last year bought me a ticket to the races one night. I forgot my wallet and was standing by the fence on the outside waiting on a friend to show up and help me out. He walked over and asked why I was just standing there looking through the fence I must have looked like a sad little kid. I told him I forgot my wallet. He told me stay right there and went jogging away with his speedway hot dog he just bought in hand. He met me back at the fence and told me meet him at the gate. Before I could tell him my friend was on the way he handed the ticket window money then handed me a ticket. I barely got to thank him because he said he had to get ready for his heat race and ran away real quick. His car broke that night I surely wanted to see him do better than DNF. I commented on a post to here once hoping to say hi and thanks if anyone knows him tell him thanks alot that really left an impression on me.

2/22/17, 7:12 AM   #13
Sprintcarfanatic

I was about 8 & 1 night at Limaland Rick Ungar was on the spectator side & I asked him what it was like to drive a sprint car & he said "cool man, cool".

Jr Smalley was talking to a guy in the pits & I waited until he was done & called his name, as soon as he turned around I snapped the pic & he said that ought to be a good 1.

Had a lady take a pic of me & Dick Gaines after Dick won 1 night on the original frontstretch of Limaland. When she got them developed she sent me the pic.

One thing I like to do is ask the younger folks that come to Limaland is, you see the UNOH hauler's & they say yes & I tell them that's about where the oversized outhouse set & they almost always say "Really". If the line was too long the fella's went on back to the treeline.

2 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, tirespinner
2/22/17, 7:23 AM   #14
cmakin

I have been helping JJ is a small way for a couple of years. I have to tell you that besides his ability on the track, away from the track, it is hard to find a better young man. I am certainly proud to be associated, and I certainly applaud his efforts to draw young fans to my favorite sport.

2/22/17, 12:57 PM   #15
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Spencer View Post
I agree with you that more drivers should do this and I believe more drivers should stay after the races, so the fans can get an up close look at these beautiful machines we wheel around the track, but unfortunately times have changed and probably for the worse!?

My father always purchases extra, youth shirts and we give these away to every young person we can at the track or even away from the track, whether it's in the pits or the grandstands and I thank my dad to this day for doing that because they are the future! I have always and always will go in the grandstands during intermission as long as time permits and nothing comes up. Hope more drivers do to this year, like you said.

Josh Spencer
Josh is giving me way too much credit as buying and giving tee shirts away started with Rick Ferkel and Fred Linder being the only two drivers at Eldora that had any 6-8 10-12 for kids not only did they have shirts to fit Josh and his friends they gave Josh a tee shirt free of charge. Josh told me that day that when the time came and he got to race he would give shirts to the little fans fast forward, from the time Josh got his first shirts he bought 60/10-12 (30Black & 30 White) 60/6-8 (30 Black 30 White) and gave them to any kid that came to the trailer / races / car wash etc. and he pays for them out of his pocket so Sarah and I may help but this is mostly Josh idea. It is nice to know other people do this at tracks we don't frequent so for all the J.J. Steve & Carla Phillips and whoever may make the next generation of race fan want to come back each and every weekend thank you all. Be safe and we hope to see you all at the races in 2017

2/22/17, 4:52 PM   #16
JDFAST

I see less and less kids at the races, doesn't bode well for the sport we all love. Anything we can do to attract and keep young fans interest up is great for the sport. TKS JJ

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/23/17, 2:50 PM   #17
smith19

ferkel had one of the first driver shirts anywhere in this area. lucky enough to still have mine...

2 members like this post: tirespinner, Wizard 05
2/23/17, 4:16 PM   #18
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

I have mine as well,,just doesn't fit the same for some reason anymore...Also have one never worn in the bag last one with the 6-7 different shots..Did some aero work for Rick back in the 80's best time of my life...Nobody better than The Ohio Traveler..

2/25/17, 1:30 AM   #19
Scooter23

Way to go, JJ. I have said this for years when working with the UMRA TQ Midget series; you guys HAVE to build a following, and the best way to do it is to give those kids someone - not just a particular car - to root for.
I wish you the best this season and appreciate what you and guys and gals like you are doing for our sport.

Scooter Williamson

1 member likes this post: the1jet17
2/27/17, 9:53 PM   #20
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

I sure do have one of the best friends a guy could ask for. Great work jj and keep it up!

1 member likes this post: wildman92
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Driver's Call for Help from Other Drivers