IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Senna??
8/1/12, 4:30 PM   #1
Senna??
cecil98

Don't know when it was produced but, I just saw the documentary film on Ayrton Senna for the first time on ESPN2 the other night. I thought it was an incredibly interesting and, a fantastically produced piece! Anyone else here see it??

4 members like this post: 767, Kansasdirtfan, mod4s, tim brown
8/1/12, 4:55 PM   #2
Re: Senna??

Yes I thought it was pretty decent. During this time period there was not much coverage of Formula 1 in this area, so I really did not have any intrest in the racing at that time. I have known for the last few years how political F1 is but did not know how far it went. Its amazing how much technology were on the cars during that time. Also unfortunate that it took the loss of Senna to bring technology to the saftey side. Solid film, very much worth watching.

8/1/12, 6:40 PM   #3
Kansasdirtfan

I saw it and enjoyed it. I've been a fan of F1 for some time, and really enjoyed seeing the cars (and drivers) from that era. I was most struck by Senna's demeanor prior to the race, as he was sitting in the car on the grid. It almost seemed as if he had a premonition of the outcome. The actual crash that claimed his life wasn't really as devastating as I recalled. But then, Earnhardt's fatal crash didn't look that devastating either. As 767 said in his post, it's unfortunate that it takes a death to improve safety technology. But really, isn't that the way it nearly always works? Not trying to be flippant, but the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to safety measures as well. In reality, it's more a case of just not anticipating all the possible scenarios, in spite of all the engineering that goes into racing cars.

8/1/12, 7:05 PM   #4
hoosier race fan

I found it pretty interesting. I didn't think it was quite as good as the 30 for 30 documentary on Tim Richmond, but it had a lot of really good behind the scenes stuff about F1 in that era. Hard to believe with all that technology and bright minds behind those cars that so little attention was paid to the safety of the drivers. But drivers seemed to be secondary to the cars and manufacturers. A very sad ending to the life of a fantastic racer.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/1/12, 7:52 PM   #5
Jim Halpert

I've seen Senna, read his autobiography, and been an F1(mainly Ferrari) fan for years upon years. The cars then were at the peak of technology ...the '93 Williams is widely regarded as the most technologically advanced car ever. That being said, the safety of that time was atrocious. The weekend at Imola is burned into witnesses memories and was one of the darkest racing weekends of all time. Safety since then in f1 has been better than probably any other form of racing ...with Senna being the most recent death in the World Championship. But I'm on a tangent ...the film was excellent and eye opening. I was and am not a Senna fan...but I respect the hell out of his ability.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/1/12, 8:10 PM   #6
racer5c

they cut quite a bit out from when I saw it at the theater some of the in car stuff they cut out was incredible

8/1/12, 8:23 PM   #7
fishnman

I thought it was very informative. I too had the feeling watching him on race day that he knew, especially when it was stated that morning where he had read scripture. The look on his face before the start seemed to say he was at peace, like as stated before he knew what the outcome would be.

8/1/12, 8:34 PM   #8
Jonr

Watched in on NetFlix a couple of months ago. It was a great movie. I also could not believe how poor the safety was on those cars.

I am pretty sure that there was another thread about the movie a couple of months ago.

8/1/12, 8:38 PM   #9
CRA91

I couldn't believe the segement when they were showing the crash footage of Mark Donnelly's? accident,they spent quite awhile showing him lying on the race track still strapped in what was left of the seat.

8/1/12, 9:11 PM   #10
Sawdust101

Senna was a great driver and I got to watch him race while I lived in England. It was neat seeing the different clips from the races and remember them with the announcing from Murry Walker and James Hunt on BBC 1. Here are two photos I got while I was living there.
Attached Images
Senna Brands Hatch.JPG (250.3 KB, 109 views)
Senna silverstone 2.JPG (220.6 KB, 102 views)

1 member likes this post: Kansasdirtfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Senna??