IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Clauson Departs TSR!!!!!....WOW..
12/16/14, 11:49 PM   #21
MEAT

Who could blame TSR for shutting down a money pit? The team cannot support itself like the Outlaw teams do. Wing racing is where the money is at, even on a weekly level. Don't be surprised to see even more Indiana local and USAC teams bolt the wing on and head to Illinois and Ohio.

Good luck to Bryan at Indy, and hope to see him run some more wing races in 2015.
Last edited by MEAT; 12/16/14 at 11:52 PM.

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, fish, jts56
12/16/14, 11:56 PM   #22
BrandX

Seems pretty simple to me. One of USAC's last big money supporters doesn't see the value in supporting it anymore.

Could it be TSR just doesn't want to deal with USAC anymore?
What has happened to the midget series since TSR pulled out?
What has happened is POWRI has taken over

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, MEAT
12/17/14, 12:17 AM   #23
SteelCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
Any chance this has a little to do w/ the J.Byrd Indy deal he has starting this year?
I've had a conversation with a member of the Byrd family over dinner several months back and they're huge supporters of whatever he wants to do. Especially midgets.

They had some sponsorship on the #71 Indy Race Parts WoO car, the #63 Rusty Kuntz midget, and the #7 non wing car he ran.
Last edited by SteelCore; 12/17/14 at 4:20 PM.

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, JarrettFarms73
12/17/14, 12:21 AM   #24
openwheelfan1

Per IBRacin.com, TSR is shutting down the non-wing program in its entirety. I know there are going to be some who'll say "it's just one team" but a loss is still a loss. Say what you will, but the fact is that Tony owning the team got non-wing racing mentioned in media outlets that ordinarily would never do so. Sure, USAC sprint and Silver Crown. Racing will survive this, but it is another setback.

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
12/17/14, 1:44 AM   #25
Re: Clauson Departs TSR!!!!!....WOW..
JstAbvVMC

In the inner circles of the pit area this departure has been known for a while now. It's no secret that some teams are not pleased with USAC. Unfortunately, a BIG player in USAC is puling out all together and that alone has to tell everyone something isn't right. USAC is losing one of its major teams and quit possibly one of it's most recognizable drivers. I'm not going to speculate why it happened, but it does not make USAC look very good right now. Just Saying. I hope someone downtown is paying attention, but I doubt it..

4 members like this post: AustinSprinter, MEAT, mowerman, rachasin
12/17/14, 7:35 AM   #26
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Per IBRacin.com, TSR is shutting down the non-wing program in its entirety. I know there are going to be some who'll say "it's just one team" but a loss is still a loss. Say what you will, but the fact is that Tony owning the team got non-wing racing mentioned in media outlets that ordinarily would never do so. Sure, USAC sprint and Silver Crown. Racing will survive this, but it is another setback.
Reading the IBracn site does make it sound like the entire USAC program is being shut down. One of the big debates/mysteries was how much money does Tony and Kasey get for their personal service contracts with the sponsors. Did Chevy ever actually have a line item on a budget that said "USAC sponsorship" or did they have a personal service contract with Tony and he funneled that money to the USAC team?

While it has been mentioned above by others, the way I read it is that the silver crown operation is done as well.

I think that this is just part of the 800 pound gorrilla that is surrounding Tony Stewart right now. If you/your business manager was worried about a civil suit by the Ward family, or at least defending a Civil suit by the Ward family, you would want to be as careful with your money as possible.

Finally, on the Winged side, for many years Steve ran his own program out of his own shop and was independent of the TSR main shop. However, it has been reported that this year that since he is not running the full WOO tour that the car will be ran out of the main TSR shop.
Last edited by Jonr; 12/17/14 at 8:26 AM. Reason: 800 gorrilla

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, henson5099
12/17/14, 9:29 AM   #27
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Don't look for this to be the only team and/or driver "doing other things" next year (be that running no USAC or part-time). I don't know what the solution is for USAC in general, but not addressing issues (whatever they are) isn't going to help the future. Obviously there are issues going on right now.

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, coachmeece, MEAT
12/17/14, 11:43 AM   #28
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Didn't surprise me that Clauson departed TSR. Agree that I thought he would be in the #11 in 2015 but the Buffalo Wild Wings #82 is a good car and I can see Clauson wheeling that one in the upcoming year. Should be interesting to see if Tony's USAC team continues this year. Sure hope so. Would love to see Stockon or Leary behind the wheel. We will see!

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, mc/rider
12/17/14, 1:33 PM   #29
Kart#51

The 82 BWW car has a hired gun in Dusty Zomer and committed to the NSL. As always subject to change given the team. If Clausen were to drive for them it would be a second car as that was the case for most of last year.

Steve will be running a program based from TSR. The cars will be J/J and Kistler under the hood. It appears to me that the equipment is most likely Tony's stuff and just relettered with 11 from 14. I beleive Steve will not own cars going foward and not sure about the future of Kraig's team.

There was an ad a few weeks ago about Steve selling eveything from hauler to tires and said call the shop.
http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forum....2#thread454366

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, fish, i love dirt track racing
12/17/14, 1:40 PM   #30
quicktime3

Has anyone said there is a problem with USAC's Sprint Cars? From what I hear, more teams are joining the fray, not less. If there are issues, what are they?

It sounds like TSR lost a sponsor at the WoO level and needed to pull Chevy up to support Schatz. Clauson was looking to do something different anyway. This all seemed pretty obvious.

And I'd bet Clauson still finds a way to run a lot of USAC races, along with whatever else his little heart desires that day. More power to him.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Clauson Departs TSR!!!!!....WOW..