IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini sprint racing with midgets
9/18/14, 1:42 PM   #1
Mini sprint racing with midgets
Hustler

Race Count This Year: 18

I am going to be racing a 1000cc mini sprint next year and wanted to know if anyone has raced one non-winged with the midgets? Will the rules allow it? I know I will be seriously underpowered but if I go to a small enough track that dries out I figure it will be fun. I don't enjoy racing winged and there isn't many non-winged mini sprint shows so that's why I was curious.

1 member likes this post: steveb
9/18/14, 1:56 PM   #2
cmiracingvids

Montpelier Motor Speedway. One of the regular MMSA drivers finished 11th out of 21 cars in the feature.

Also, Bakersfield raceway park in Linton, IN racing non wing 1000cc every Friday night.

1 member likes this post: cwfan08
9/18/14, 2:14 PM   #3
Re: Mini sprint racing with midgets
Midget18

A couple years ago, a 1000cc mini sprint won multiple heat races at Montpelier and almost won a feature race. Right track conditions mini sprints can be competitive.

3 members like this post: cwfan08, DAD, PatrickMead#13
9/18/14, 2:20 PM   #4
Jim Gardner

Ran my chain car at Gas City in July and was in the top five late until the driver stepped on himself. It won't run with a full blown national midget on a heavy track but typically by feature time it'll hold it's own. Also MMSA runs plenty on non-wing shows that are very competitive.

3 members like this post: cmiracingvids, cwfan08, DAD
9/18/14, 2:43 PM   #5
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Depending on where you are, and depending on the association running, Mini Sprints can and do compete with Midgets; currently, Montpelier runs a rules package that attempts to level the playing field between full national-motor (Esslinger, Mopar, Fontana, etc.), "sportsman" (Ecotech, Focus, VW, stock Chevy II, etc.) and 1000cc and up Motorcycle-powered cars. Last week there was a healthy mix of full midgets, a Focus, 4 Kenyon cars and 5 or 6 chain-drivers. The national Midgets generally prevail but not without a fight.
IMRA in Illinois runs Sportsman-type and up to 1200cc chain drive cars, and there seems to be a very good mix of what type wins on any given night.
Johnny Murdock's new BAM group will be starting up in the Illinois-Missouri region with a similar rules package to IMRA next year.
Wayne Davis runs a similar package in Florida.
Hopefully, if Gas City comes back, we'll get another chance to show our stuff there as well.
All of the Mini Sprint guys I've talked to at Montpelier have said racing with us has been the most fun they've had all year.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: cwfan08, Wayne Davis
9/18/14, 2:51 PM   #6
hoscalecody

I know on July 26th a chain drive car finished 8 but i think only 15 cars were in the A at Montpelier. One thing for sure is i loved running a mini sprint with the midgets at Montpelier last week until i put my self in the wall but plan on going back Saturday if possible. Like everyone said they won't compete the "Bigger Money Motors" but they do compete with the more cheaper ones i guess you could say.

1 member likes this post: cwfan08
9/18/14, 3:24 PM   #7
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

There were 20 in the Main, Cody; 5 from each of the 3 heats and 5 out of the B. Pat Mead transferred straight from his heat a finished 17th and Doug Jones took 11th after finishing 2nd to John Heydenreich in the B, ahead of 3 other national midgets. It can be done.
Update; Just realized you weren't talking about last week; you're right. On the 26th Corey Bedwell came home 8th, Tyler Kendall was 10th and I finished 14th out of 14 starters. Then on August 30th Doug got 8th, Pat was 16th and I was 17th out of 21. So we're in the mix every week.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 9/18/14 at 7:30 PM.

9/18/14, 5:20 PM   #8
Tom23

We raced with the AllStar Midgets out of KC, won a heat once and ran second in a Main. We raced the sportsman midgets all year with success including many wins. Will you beat the really good midgets on a fast track? Doubtful, but you will have a hell of a lot of fun and with hard work and a good driver be very competitive especially if it slicks off. I highly recommend doing it.

9/18/14, 5:23 PM   #9
clb

Yes a 1000cc lightning sprint will run with midgets. To win I believe everything would have to be just perfect though at montpelier. I think a top 5 is in the cards here soon with one.

9/18/14, 5:37 PM   #10
Hustler

Race Count This Year: 18

Well that makes me feel better. I didn't know if it was possible and most of the Lightning Sprint races on the west coast are winged and the racing seems boring. I guess I will check with BCRA and see what I would have to change to meet their requirements. I wonder if anyone has ever raced a 1200 in the chili bowl? I know focus guys have.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini sprint racing with midgets