IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different????
10/10/07, 6:56 AM   #11
Re: Something different????
Sprint Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherzog513 View Post
"GIMMICK"
Racing is not about "GIMICKS" it is about racing!

You show up practice, qualify, race, fastest man/women wins, fans go home happy!

THIS IS SPRINT CAR RACING IT AIN'T GO KARTS OR MINI SPRINTS!

We not need tricks to sell this sport, just good hard clean racing, whether it is for 1200.00 or 12,000.00 to win!

:headbang: :headbang:

10/10/07, 8:57 AM   #12
ossuks

Anytime you stick your hand in a bag to determine your starting spot you have just sold out your sport. Racing is about who can go the fastest, not what pill you can draw. Anyone that pays any attention to qualifying times understands just how close these race teams are, so, when a quality racer draws a quality starting spot you can bet he has a huge advantage!!!

Todays competition is way way to close to use a pill draw system, look at the results from Lawrenceburg, a guy with 30 wins did not make the feature because he drew a bad pill on a one lane track. If "Bobby The BOY Wonder" and Jon had traded pills at the draw Bobby would have missed the feature and Jon would have won. I am in no way taking anything away from Bobby as he is one of my favorites. But, facts are facts.

This bull about the pill draw helping the little guy is pure crap!!!! The little guys best way to make a feature is to qualify, start on the front of the heat , and hope like hell to hold onto a top 4 spot. if a mid-packer draws a bad pill he might as well load his broke ass up and head home early!

10/10/07, 11:21 AM   #13
bherzog513

IF YOU DONT THINK PROMOTERS USE "GIMMICKS" THAN SPRINT CAR TIRES ARE SQUARE?

I love qualifying BUT NOBODY DOES IT.

The point of the post was, something diffrent.

If you dont qaulify and you pill draw last, and all of the good cars pill draw up front, are you guys saying going home, or riding in the back is a better solution than having the average of two line ups, and two chances for a good finish.

10/10/07, 11:31 AM   #14
bherzog513

How can you pay anything if nobodys watching? Most people show up for the heats.(not I)

10/10/07, 1:25 PM   #15
nonwing79

I know that I will probably get slammed, but, I like the group qualifying at Kokomo. It still gives you a chance to get a time and lines up the heats according to the times. You don't run many more laps than you would with hot laps and qualifying the traditional way. The track seems to hold up better since multiple cars are running and digging the track. I was skeptical at first but have come to like the format and kinda missed it during sprint week. Sometimes the one car format in 90

10/10/07, 2:39 PM   #16
clayton92fan

I agree with the last post. Kokomo's group qualifying is better than 1 at a time. You get to see "mini heats" with 4 cars, get to check out the different lines and with the transponders the times flash on the scoreboard as they are run. So if someone is "on a flyer" you can follow that car for a few laps and see what line that car is using to get around better than everyone else. Just an opinion..:greenflag:

10/10/07, 4:11 PM   #17
Sprint Fan

clayton92fan
nonwing79

I can agree witht that for the most part.

I am just a fan of 1 or 2 cars on the track at a time, (and I shouldn't give this away), because you can learn a LOT listening to the engines and the amount grip the cars have even when you can't see the track. Many a night we listened and learned to make a change in the qualifying line before we went out.

And besides, there is NOTHING ON EARTH that sounds sweeter than a 750HP sprint car motor sucking in those massive amounts of air when it is hooked up right and diging for grip, and being out there all by itself is the only way you can hear that sweet sound! :applaud:

NO SLAM, JMO:thumb:

10/10/07, 5:50 PM   #18
Danny Burton

I can see both sides, but am surprised that no one has addressed how a track can change over the course of 40 plus cars qualifying.

And how is it determined in which order a car qualifies? A blind draw.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

10/10/07, 6:03 PM   #19
Sprint Fan

Danny, in my experience most tracks did draw for qualifying order and a lot of guys tried to cheat on the pill draw, so some tracks started fliping a coin to see if the qualifying would be inverted from the draw. That kept every as honest as you can keep racers. LOL

Quote:
no one has addressed how a track can change over the course of 40 plus cars qualifying
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but see if I'm close.
I have seen some tracks improve as qualifying progressed and of course I have seen some,
if you went out early you got the best part of the track as it was going away fast.

But to me this is some of the most fun to watch as a driver or spectator, who's found the best line, who adjusted their car right, who missed mark it completely.

I just enjoy the sights, stratagey and sounds of qualifying!
I miss it lots wherever they don't do it!

10/10/07, 6:11 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
I can see both sides, but am surprised that no one has addressed how a track can change over the course of 40 plus cars qualifying.

And how is it determined in which order a car qualifies? A blind draw.
Bingo! I have no idea how many shows I've been too that qualifying really late or early just never gave the guy a fair shake in STRUTTING HIS STUFF. Id say fine if they'd invert more in the feature, Maybe ten-twelve but then you'd have guys sandbagging.

Chuck

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different????