IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alexander Rossi Lack of Respect
8/26/19, 8:32 AM   #1
Alexander Rossi Lack of Respect
The Old Coyote

I was appalled at the lack of respect shown by Alexander Rossi during the playing of our National Anthem at the Indy Car race this past Saturday at Madison.

I have lost all respect for this man and will no longer shop at NAPA.

1 member likes this post: bighd0522
8/26/19, 10:01 AM   #2
dirt330

what did he do? Did not see the start of race.

8/26/19, 10:32 AM   #3
Re: Alexander Rossi Lack of Respect
The Old Coyote

He was eating something and drinking a soda looking around while everyone else as standing at attention. All the crew members and other drivers, even non-American showed respect. Disgusting!

8/26/19, 10:51 AM   #4
motorhead748

I did not see it but if what you say is true I will visit my local napa and tell them why I no longer do business there.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
8/26/19, 12:20 PM   #5
jdull99

Sometimes things happen as you are preparing for a race & I would not compare this to kneeling or anything. I know (!) MANY sacrificed their lives so we can stand at attention for the anthem (& I fully respect those that not only lost their lives, but served in any way, etc - all better men & women than I!). Let's hope Rossi stood at attention EVERY other anthem that has been played before the 100s of races he has competed in; & that he is engulfed in everything to do with what it takes to win races at that level, and this was not a political statement or such. Obviously nutrition is important before competing ; & if something came off to get him off his schedule (they proly have it very tight and figured out), he shoulda found a place to hide. I really hate to imagine one incident alienating the Indy car crowd from any major sponsor...they only have so many...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: hairracer44, mc/rider
8/26/19, 1:02 PM   #6
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I was at the race but was not aware of the incident until I played back my recording of the race.
I have never witnessed him do anything like this before. I would rather think that he was so self absorbed that he wasn’t really paying close enough attention to his surroundings.
Instead of a boycott, why not contact NAPA and his race team and explain what happened? I think that would give him a wake up call. We need sponsors and boycotts will drive them away.
That was the weirdest thing I have seen occur during the playing of the national anthem and I think Mr. Rossi should publicly explain his actions and apologize to all at the next race or sooner.

2 members like this post: dirt330, wright59
8/26/19, 1:26 PM   #7
Non wing lover

And didn't take his hat off either

8/26/19, 2:10 PM   #8
JarrettFarms73

i’ve not seen it but is there a chance it was a miscue from the TV trailer posting the wrong shot/ sequence? or was everyone around him viewable in the same camera shot at attention? Again i’ve not seen it but having met him, this really surprises me.

headed to his twitter now to b see if there’s an apology/ explanation.

1 member likes this post: ronmil
8/26/19, 3:34 PM   #9
jdull99

They had to frantically change their gear box right before the race...perhaps everything was in chaos with the championship on the line...i know, he prolly didn't turn a wrench, but let's assume everything was somewhat out of sorts & that was it...i doubt every fan in the parking lot or bathroom, etc stopped what they were doing either...it happens...i'm sure the next race he will be at attention and pay the respects he has every other time...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: ronmil, wright59
8/26/19, 7:32 PM   #10
Stevensville Mike

I taped it and initially zipped through the pre-race stuff and went right to the start of the race. It was getting late.

Today, I put the VHS tape back in the VCR and had a look for myself.

Definitely eating. Definitely had his hat on. Had been turned away and bent over to put his food down (possibly when the camera got him). Not so much right up there with taking a knee, but definitely a low class move.

Of course, who am I to comment on this? I still think he veered right and hit Sato's LR at Pocono and started that whole mess. IndyCar subsequently "proved" me wrong and penalized Sato......

.....somehow.

They probably still think Oswald killed Kennedy by himself.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alexander Rossi Lack of Respect