IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Allstar Issues
8/26/19, 11:48 PM   #1
Allstar Issues
flagboy55

So not too long ago Kyle Larson was disqualified at Joliet during a red flag for a crewman leaving some kind of designated area. The way I understand it he never touched the car but apparently the rules are you can’t go past a boundary that I presume is designated by the club. This past weekend in Pennsylvania 4 or 5 cars were disqualified for the same infraction, 3 or 4 were Posse and 1 regular. I was at Joliet when Kyle was DQ’d. From the grandstand it was a bizarre and disappointing turn of events, on a marathon night at the track. You can only imagine how the PA fans felt about they’re guys getting the axe. I’m hoping some of our wingers on here have more info on the saga. First, what exactly is the rule, 2nd what is the intention of it, and 3 is it properly explained in the drivers meeting. I did see it has caused enough discontent that Tony himself has said it won’t happen again. A little too late for some, but at least he’s addressing the situation. Hopefully some of you know more

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, Ken Bonnema, nathans1012
8/27/19, 12:35 AM   #2
Re: Allstar Issues
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
So not too long ago Kyle Larson was disqualified at Joliet during a red flag for a crewman leaving some kind of designated area. The way I understand it he never touched the car but apparently the rules are you can’t go past a boundary that I presume is designated by the club. This past weekend in Pennsylvania 4 or 5 cars were disqualified for the same infraction, 3 or 4 were Posse and 1 regular. I was at Joliet when Kyle was DQ’d. From the grandstand it was a bizarre and disappointing turn of events, on a marathon night at the track. You can only imagine how the PA fans felt about they’re guys getting the axe. I’m hoping some of our wingers on here have more info on the saga. First, what exactly is the rule, 2nd what is the intention of it, and 3 is it properly explained in the drivers meeting. I did see it has caused enough discontent that Tony himself has said it won’t happen again. A little too late for some, but at least he’s addressing the situation. Hopefully some of you know more
I seen on Twitter that Danny Dietrich was extremely pissed off about the situation. Also there where about 3 or 4 police in the pits at BAPS where the accidents occurred.
Below in the picture is Dannys Twitter post about it along with Lance Dewease

5 drivers got DQ'd
Ryan Smith
Skyler Gee
Anthony Macri
Danny Dietrich
Lance Dewease
Last edited by nathans1012; 11/17/23 at 2:26 PM.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, flagboy55, Ken Bonnema
8/27/19, 1:06 AM   #3
flagboy55

I understand that we all have rules and what not. And having presided over more drivers meetings than I care to count, very much certain that it becomes routine for those in attendance. My biggest problem is, that unless someone can give me a great reason for the rule, the penalty is far too harsh for the crime

3 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, nathans1012, oppweld
8/27/19, 7:32 AM   #4
Re: Allstar Issues
kb78

I was not there but I believe the rule had to do with safety and the space they were allotted in the pits. By reading Dietrich's tweet I gather that he heard the rule and understood it but that he didn't know the penalty was so harsh. So my take is that they knew the rule and they broke it; case closed.
That being said, I too think that the penalty does not fit the crime but at least you can say that the All-Stars do not appear to favor anyone when it comes to penalties. In the last few weeks they have DQ'd these PA heavy hitters, Kyle Larson and they have fined their owner for getting out of his car on the track.
In the end I think the rule will get changed but for the mean time I can say that they made a rule and they stuck by it, our government could take lessons.

4 members like this post: EBookerFan, flagboy55, nathans1012, progressive22
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Allstar Issues