IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled
9/9/11, 4:34 PM   #121
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
backitin

Sometimes there is no answer, just suggestions. Tell me why Speedway motorcycle racing is about dead in this country but pulls more fans in Euroupe then Nascar does here. For whatever reason in the US people dont get it and you know what ? People dont care about midgets much anymore either. I dont get it or have any answers xcept knowing it's a fact. Two of the puriest forms of motorsports and hardly nobody in this new fangled country gives a crap about them. Just not enough bells and whistles for the modern fan I guess.

9/9/11, 5:11 PM   #122
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I can think of no greater success story than the ASCS sprint program. Motors that last and good purses. I can't say its been boring. I watched Hockett go from 20th to third with one against the 410s on arguably the worlds fastest half mile dirt track. Eldora.

Did ASCS ever start their midget series?

9/9/11, 5:52 PM   #123
PARKS

Add the Pepsi Nationals to the list of cancelled and not going to be rescheduled this year.

9/9/11, 6:06 PM   #124
team3521

Don,

Sorry, I didn't mean you were giving up on this! I meant this post because it looked like it was turning into a TQ vs a mini sprint argument and I know you like to stay on topic!

"I won't be giving up anytime, thanks."

So what are we going to do with our $30,000 engines if we go to a "spec" engine? I'd just like to see the rules adjusted so that the Ford and Buick and Chevy headed motors, etc. could still compete.

As a spectator, I don't know about you guys, but I love the sound of those "unlimited" 166 ci engines. Idling, running past you wide open down the straight away, firing it off a corner, etc and I can't imagine that being changed in midgets. I love them the way they are! The rules don't need to be completely overhauled in my opinion, they need to be revised! If the sanctioning bodies changed to a spec motor, mine is worthless. I don't want to sell my very expensive midget engine to some dude for a few thousand dollars and he's going to stick it in a boat or some stupid project. I want to race it again! Just put me on a level playing field with less cost and I'm there! Racing! not watching others spend their money.

9/9/11, 6:24 PM   #125
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3521 View Post
Don,

Sorry, I didn't mean you were giving up on this! I meant this post because it looked like it was turning into a TQ vs a mini sprint argument and I know you like to stay on topic!

"I won't be giving up anytime, thanks."

So what are we going to do with our $30,000 engines if we go to a "spec" engine? I'd just like to see the rules adjusted so that the Ford and Buick and Chevy headed motors, etc. could still compete.

As a spectator, I don't know about you guys, but I love the sound of those "unlimited" 166 ci engines. Idling, running past you wide open down the straight away, firing it off a corner, etc and I can't imagine that being changed in midgets. I love them the way they are! The rules don't need to be completely overhauled in my opinion, they need to be revised! If the sanctioning bodies changed to a spec motor, mine is worthless. I don't want to sell my very expensive midget engine to some dude for a few thousand dollars and he's going to stick it in a boat or some stupid project. I want to race it again! Just put me on a level playing field with less cost and I'm there! Racing! not watching others spend their money.
I'm not sure if I hijacked the original post or not, but I wasn't about to stand by, and not be counted, when someone is saying TQ's are dead, when they aren't, but if that's the feeling, I appoligize for the hijack, if in fact that's what happened. I have just as much passion for Midgets, so I didn't feel I was the hijacker. Nuff said. Bob!

9/9/11, 7:21 PM   #126
DonMoore10

Team 3521,

Regarding those current engines. First of all, you need to let go of being married to the sound of your engine. If midget racing is to be revived, everyone will have to make some sacrifices. Now what to do with the current engines if a spec engine is mandated:

1. There are plenty of buyers in Australia and New Zealand. They're buying up all kinds of parts, race cars and engines all the time. I get calls from those guys on a regular basis.

2. I don't claim to be an engine guru, but with restrictor plates and weights, current engines can be handicapped if you still want to run them aside the spec engine. I will leave that up to the experts to deal with that.

3. These engines are used in other applications. There is a market for them elsewhere other than racing.

4. And lastly: Have you done some simple math when you compare costs of running the exotic engine to a spec engine? You will need to rebuild your exotic engine a lot sooner than a spec engine. If it costs $9200 to rebuild the spec engine and about $1000 total shipping costs to California, that's 10,200 for that golden power plant. And plan on rebuilding it anywhere from 8-20 races I'm guessing. So, would you rather have a new engine for around $10,000-11,000 that will last for about 3 years without a rebuild and can be freshened with OTC parts or spend 10,200 every few races? If you want to keep spending the same amount of money to rebuild that exotic engine, you could buy a spec engine every year and it would be a wash. This is a no brainer, guys.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 9/9/11 at 7:23 PM.

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
9/9/11, 8:31 PM   #127
R.Drang

Another thing i was thinking of too, if a club is going to be a dirt and asphalt series, there needs to be something for an owner running the same car on both surfaces

9/9/11, 8:41 PM   #128
lucky 4

Don if you spent more time working on your car than on here your car would probbley be fasttttttttt

9/9/11, 8:50 PM   #129
bullring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky 4 View Post
Don if you spent more time working on your car than on here your car would probbley be fasttttttttt
Time will never replace money!

9/9/11, 9:03 PM   #130
LocalYokel

I realize that the issue being discussed here is far more complex than just the motors. However, if someone were so inclined, they could easily purchase a used Gaerte or comparable motor for $11000 and go racing. The motor might be down a few horsepower from a new engine, but it would have a great advantage over the Revolution engine being discussed. A used engine would probably have to be rebuilt after the season and would make the enpenses greater than the Revolution engine however.
When all is said and done buying a used inline midget motor would give you the capability to compete for the win instead of a top 5.
I think the Revolution motor program is a great idea, but let's face it, nobody races for fifth. They race to win.
As I said to start though, this problem of car counts, and the slow death of midget racing in general, has too many varibles to discuss. Motors are just one small problem among a laundry list of other problems.
Tires are a big issue. Another issue is venues to race at. Why buy a midget to race once a week at a track that might be several hundred miles away, when you can buy a sprinter and race competetively 3 nights a week at tracks you know are going to run and that are an hour or so from home no matter where you live pretty much...
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

One more quick thing to add...
Who can afford any type of racing these days? Expendable income is a thing of the past. 99% of our population would have a very hard time affording to run a TQ, mini sprint, or even a bomber! Myself included!
I think the current economy is midget racings biggest obstruction...
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by LocalYokel; 9/9/11 at 8:55 PM.

1 member likes this post: team3521
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled