Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala
2/3/20, 8:10 PM   #11
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Do the racing families let you drive?
He’s lucky they let him ride INSIDE the car.

2/3/20, 8:51 PM   #12
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

Jen.... that's something you should take the opportunity to experience on a great racing road trip. Never a dull moment as long as the mountains are BLUE!!!! Thanks 🤣

2/3/20, 9:12 PM   #13
Re: Ocala
musiccharlie

Best advice to drive straight through Atlanta on 75 and in the middle of the night. Just returned from Florida and tried the west side Atlanta by-pass on 285. Big mistake... road construction everywhere and down to 1 lane in lots of spots, with traffic backed up for 5 miles. Where there was no road work going on, big cracks and holes in concrete pavement. Another major delay could be driving south through Chattanooga on 75. Took me over 2 hours to get through on a Thursday afternoon. On the return trip, drove through about 6 AM on a Sunday morning to miss traffic.

4 members like this post: dirt330, duel, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
2/3/20, 11:04 PM   #14
chop

I drive a few times a year to Florida from Michigan. I have found it does not really matter what way you go, what time you leave. When it is 8am in the morning, noon, 5pm and you happen to be near a big city. you are sitting in a 2 hour delay. You time it to miss, Indy, you hit Nashville or Lexington wrong. Time it to miss that you hit Louisville or Chattanooga wrong. Time that right and you hit Atlanta wrong. Hit all of that right and you hit Tampa wrong. Just have a safe trip. It has been rainy and colder down there. Enjoy the racing.

2/4/20, 2:16 AM   #15
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

After years of going from Springfield IL to Tampa and then Ocala the last few years, I have given up on Atlanta completely. I-24 to Nashville where I hit I-65 on the west side of town and take it south all the way to Montgomery. In the southern part of Montgomery I exit onto South Boulevard which is several routes, including US 31, 80 & 82. Take that a few miles east to US 82/US 231 south. (NOT US 331). The only bottleneck on that whole route is Dothan AL, but it only takes 20 or so minutes. US 231 goes all the way to I-10, then I-75 to Ocala. US 231 from Montgomery is 4 lane and most of it has a 65 mph speed limit. Normal traffic speed is usually (much) higher. You trade going through Nashville, the mountains, Chattanooga and the Atlanta mess for what is mostly relatively open interstate and rural driving. Mapping services say this way may take about an hour more, but I am not sure when you take into consideration some of the bad traffic you see the other way. And it is way more relaxing.

2/4/20, 2:10 PM   #16
3R

Was told about this route 30 years ago when we used to take our modified to Floridia and are old truck had a problem with the mountains on I75. It's a few miles further but about the same time and a lot less traffic.

2/4/20, 4:22 PM   #17
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccharlie View Post
.....Just returned from Florida and tried the west side Atlanta by-pass on 285. Big mistake... road construction everywhere and down to 1 lane in lots of spots, with traffic backed up for 5 miles.....
Great advice. THAT would be a mess. We always take the west bypass when we go, too. Hopefully it will be cleared up by next month when we do our sorti?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/4/20, 11:35 PM   #18
openwheelfan1

Just FYI....I came through Atlanta this afternoon straight through on I75 about 3:45 PM. Not great, not terrible. Slowed down for about 8 miles to about 20 mph where I20 intersects I75 and then we were in stop and go traffic for about 5 miles on the S side where I285 ties back in.

If you are traveling down, be aware there were SEVERAL speed traps in Georgia on I75 both N and S of Atlanta.

2/5/20, 12:16 AM   #19
flagboy55

Starting to think you all are just “rubbing it in “ to those of us who can’t go!
Actually I wish you all safe travels and cooperative weather. And to my buddy Mike who’s doing it a bit different this year, I hope you and the Sue have plenty of sunshine. We’ll be keeping an eye on you guys thanks to Floracing. Does anyone know if the great Robert Ballou is back?

2/5/20, 12:32 AM   #20
duel

Going to USAC sprints at Ocala and 2 days of pavement for the Dave Steele race in Pinellas. Maybe a little rub in but haven't been in 9 years to sprints in Florida. Retired for a while

3 members like this post: dirt330, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala