IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PR at race tracks
5/2/13, 9:05 PM   #11
Re: PR at race tracks
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

i think if you get in for free just because you have a camera around your neck,,that you should have to stay till its over i see most camera guys usally leave after the sprint feature......jmo....nothing against any of em they all do great

5/2/13, 9:07 PM   #12
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

marshall holman from the danville illinois area does a good job also

5/2/13, 9:45 PM   #13
Redwood17257

A lot of good points being made here guys and I think you for all of your comments. As most people know, the all mighty dollar tends to drive most things and the newspaper industry is no different. This year we've had several different people that have agreed to buy advertising on my Monday race page, which is great and helps it to continue. Growing up around Putnamville when I was younger and then Williams Grove through high school and college, I learned how passionate the fan base is regarding dirt racing. I feel very lucky to have a flexible enough schedule with the paper that enables me to be at the track each week and to tell the story. I've met so many great people over the 7-8 years I've been doing it whether it be drivers, fans, journalists or photographers. I think that the group as a whole is one of the more welcoming in the sports world and I'm glad to be a part of it!!

Carey Fox

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge
5/2/13, 10:04 PM   #14
lovindirt

A few years back I was at Indy, at my inlaw's on a Sunday and they had various track results in the sports section. i remember reading about GC from a Fri. in there. Marion Chronicle usually post something about every week on the Gas City action and the results and a prelude to whats to happen that week.

5/2/13, 10:15 PM   #15
The Fanthom

Race Count This Year: 1

It seems to me most tracks do send out what they can but like always the stick and ball sports push racing out of most local papers. This is why racing has always created its own press and newspapers. What other sport has had so many different publications devoted to it? Unfortunately with the advent of social networking, etc. we lose more of these every year. No one has to wait a week to find out who won and what happened the week before. I made summer money for years selling a newspaper which isnt published anymore despite being the most popular in Indiana at the time.

Posted via Mobile Device

5/2/13, 10:44 PM   #16
racephoto1

A paper in Illinois I work for runs racing stuff year round. They're a small town and after the high school season is over they run stuff 2 or 3 times a week. Sprint cars or modifieds, they run it. Nice editor who enjoys racing. He loves Tri State, and does run stuff from there in his paper.

Trouble is he's the only one around doing it.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
5/2/13, 10:51 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Cincinnati? If it don't have Dale Jr or Danica's name it don't get covered. The Examiner writes some story and does a pretty good job. Also Seg Dennison will usually mention results if you send them in to WLW.

1 member likes this post: smith19
5/4/13, 8:52 PM   #18
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
starting this friday, i will be providing a full coverage story for the bloomington herald times once again. there has been a lack of it the past few years in the local papers.

Posted via Mobile Device
The post was about PR, here is some

By Chris Nunn
May 4, 2013
Bloomington Speedway welcomed the King of Indiana Sprint Series to the famed 1/4 -mile red clay oval on Friday night, which meant a veritable who’s who of non-winged sprint car racers in the pits.

For the past 12 years, racers have vied for the crown of “King of Indiana,” as the series takes the racers to different tracks in the state to test their mettle. The reigning “King of Indiana” is Avon-native Jon Stanbrough, who capped off his sixth KISS series crown last year. Stanbrough joined former KISS champions Brady Short and Dave Darland in the pits for Friday’s activities. Unfortunately for Stanbrough, he was not able to make the feature, failing to transfer out of the first Sprint Car B-Main. Both Short and Darland transferred out of the heat races into the main event.

The $2,500-to-win, 30-lap sprint car main saw last week’s feature winner, Bub Cummings, joined by Indianapolis 500 veteran Bryan Clauson on the front row as raindrops began to fall.

Clauson would lead the first lap over Cummings as Jerry Coons Jr. and Hunter Scheurenberg battled for third. Scheurenberg shot around Clauson for the lead on lap 4 using the high side of the speedway.

On lap 16, Brady Short, who had started in the eighth row, shot around both Levi Jones and Josh Burton into the fourth spot, and then began to put pressure on Cummings for third. Short took third from Cummings on lap 18, then second from Clauson on lap 19. Short snagged the lead from Scheurenberg on lap 21 and immediately began to pull away.

With five laps to go, Clauson moved under Scheurenberg to attempt to take the runner-up spot away but lapped traffic stalled his efforts. Up front it was all Short, who took the win in the caution-free affair over Scheurenberg, Clauson, Cummings and Burton.

Heat winners were Max McGhee, Bub Cummings, Robert Ballou and Bryan Clauson. The B-Mains went to Kevin Thomas Jr. and Wes McIntyre.

Heavier rans began to fall just as the super stock feature rolled onto the speedway causing the event to be red-flagged, and the rest of the program was canceled. The super stocks, modifieds and hornets all got their preliminary events in.

Super stock heats were won by Aaron Fields, Josh McDaniel, and Chris Hillman. Kent Robinson, Chad Combs and Jake Humphrey won the modified heats, with the B-Main going to Jake Byers. Hornet heat winners were Chris Deckard, Felisha Deweese, and David Brummett.

The Speedway will be off next Friday night but will return on May 17th with the USAC Sprint Cars headlining.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Indy1808, jim goerge, Panama, racephoto1, Xflagman
5/4/13, 9:33 PM   #19
indybigjohn

Glad to see someone up there is using the race news. I'm out of your area in Kentucky, but the local newspapers are very good about printing the stuff I send out. If I ever get back up there, I'll probably be looking for a track to work with. Thanks for what you do for racing.

As for photographers getting in free, when I was at IRP, one of the requirements was that they provide me with photos for my files for future PR purposes. This was before the digitals came along.

I have the same agreement with my track photographer here. He gives me a memory card with the night's photos on it, and I use the winner photos and some action shots with the newspaper stories I send out.

One of the big keys is using the hometowns of the drivers. The area newspapers are much more likely to run the stuff that way.
Last edited by indybigjohn; 5/4/13 at 9:36 PM.

5/5/13, 11:04 AM   #20
Panama

Very nice piece by Chris Nunn!
Hopefully the Herald Times will continue to run racing stories throughout the season.
You may need to put the pressure on 'em Chris, keep up the good work!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PR at race tracks