IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Car VS USAC Car
9/20/17, 12:53 PM   #1
Chili Bowl Car VS USAC Car
flyin9

How much difference is there between a chilibowl car vs a USAC national caliber car vs a D2 car?

Weight, HP, tires, other differences? I have only been to the CB once and am looking forward to another visit this year!
Thanks in advance!

9/20/17, 8:30 PM   #2
Re: Chili Bowl Car VS USAC Car
jonboat15

Big engine difference between the D2 and a USAC national midget I would think. Chassis may be similar. I'm not sure that any cars in the Chilli Bowl have a minimum weight requirement. Neat question, hoping to read more replies.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/20/17, 8:34 PM   #3
badcoupe

No weight restrictions for chili bowl I'm sure the engine rules are somewhat open as well

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
9/21/17, 12:17 AM   #4
DAD

The Chili Bowl is a "Happening". While 250 or 300 cars may show up to compete only a hand full of car and driver combinations are capable of winning. As far as the average car entered to race most cars are simply USAC or PowerI cars brought out for a winter work out. The greatest drivers in Midget racing and racers sitting in a Midget for the first time compete together. In other words these super drivers must get by quite a few Novice drivers just to get to the front. This makes for very exciting racing in every event, from day one to the actual Main event. While the rules for the Chili Bowl are a tad lax that does not stop them from making certain engines and race car innovations illegal to race there . I'm thinking about a certain little V8 that showed up a few years ago or a guy that showed up with a ski to replace his left front wheel. You will see a lot of unusual cars in Tulsa.
The neat thing about the Chili Bowl is the track itself. It's size 1/5 of a mile take away the advantage of overpowered motors and super light race cars. The advantage goes to the driver that can best use the Horsepower available to him. Very few drivers have this ability and it shows on the race track in their finishing positions. Also on these small tracks you may see a D2 Midget making the show or at least very close to making the race. The D2 is 100 to 150 Horsepower short of a USAC Midget and 10's of thousands of dollars cheaper BUT on the smaller track a driver even with a little less experience than the stars can still get a lot of that power to the track. If you attend the Chili Bowl for the whole week, at the end of that time I can almost guarantee you will have met your "Midget Race Addiction" until early spring.

Dad
Last edited by DAD; 9/21/17 at 12:21 AM.

6 members like this post: bigq11, EBookerFan, fish, jjones752, mc/rider, the1jet17
9/22/17, 10:24 AM   #5
flyin9

Thanks for the answers so far, would anyone where the highest finishing D2 car finished in last years race? Other than weight is there anything that seperates a CB only car vs a USAC car? I know about the square fuel cells a little bit but that is all I can think of? Are TI Nerfs and bumpers a thing?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
9/22/17, 11:24 AM   #6
DAD

fter 5 years of research and developing, Midget Car Owner Mike Minarik of Denver, Colorado is in the process of building the first and only Titanium Midget.

The plans are to have the car ready for the 2012 Chili Bowl Midget Nationals, with PJ Jones as driver.

Throughout the weeks leading up to the Chili Bowl, I'll be releasing photo's on the process.

The chassis weights between 70-75 pounds.

If you have any questions about the Titanium Midget Ti-1, please feel to contact me through here or email me at freebird_motorsports@comcast and I'll relay the message to Mike.

Thanks,

Don Holbrook
Freebird Motorsports Marketing
www.freebirdmotorsports.smugmug.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0072.JPG
Views: 2149
Size: 301.9 KB
ID: 5067 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0001.JPG
Views: 2005
Size: 306.7 KB
ID: 5068 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0002.JPG
Views: 1863
Size: 404.2 KB
ID: 5069 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 1901
Size: 330.1 KB
ID: 5070 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0055.JPG
Views: 1940
Size: 383.5 KB
ID: 5071 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0061.JPG
Views: 1785
Size: 198.5 KB
ID: 5072 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0070.JPG
Views: 1821
Size: 114.6 KB
ID: 5073

9/22/17, 11:58 AM   #7
DAD

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=55018 They did not race it. Probably did not want to tear it up.
Last edited by DAD; 9/22/17 at 12:01 PM.

9/23/17, 7:39 AM   #8
Backitin

Titanium midgets ? More ridiculous crap no one needs. If you cant beatem with talent and hardwork throw handfuls of money at em at least, lol.

9/23/17, 10:55 AM   #9
rmr6nm

I don't think anyone can say Minarik is not talented or doesn't work hard. Probably more of an attempt at an engineering feat if anything. Though I must agree, it shouldn't be a viable option to make a titanium chassis - chili bowl or not ...

9/23/17, 11:33 AM   #10
TQ29m

I'd have to agree with DAD, it is a once a year "happening", and has proven to be basically a run what ya brung race, rules are pretty vague, and it serves as a place and time, to try to outwit, outfox, the other guy, and party hard, engine is important, as well as talent, but with that many cars, luck has the biggest factor in who wins, I doubt that even the best financed, best talented team, can honestly say they have a better chance than anyone else about winning, it is balls to the wall from the time you unload, till you load up, and sometimes you load up pretty quick, it's a hell of a lot of fun, and a fast paced time from beginning to end, once a year is all anyone can stand it! Bob

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Car VS USAC Car