IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > GATEWAY DIRT NATIONALS . STL - Edwards Jones Dome.
2/16/16, 11:36 PM   #11
Re: GATEWAY DIRT NATIONALS . STL - Edwards Jones Dome.
Nate

I've seen LMs at Belle-Clair before but that track is pretty wide for 1/5, not sure about it indoors. Like I said I'm open to any ideas. I feel like they're doing this right, planning way in advance where as the Indy Indoors seemed somewhat just thrown together.

But I'd definitely love to see them have sprints in there. Would get more sprints involved us in Indiana aren't used to seeing, maybe see some guys out of Texas and guys from WAR.
Last edited by Nate; 2/16/16 at 11:43 PM.

2/17/16, 2:27 AM   #12
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Would think the beat idea for this would be to run the DuQuoin Midgets Indoors on Dec. 3rd. Allows for the latemodel and Modified fans to be able to attend the event. May be attractive to a few more teams to not have the quick turn around after DuQuoin to Tulsa.

The next week is PRI. You can still do the midgets in the STL arena on Saturday night. Still earlier than past DuQuoin shows to help with turn around. Fans can enjoy one last trip to PRI on Saturday morning before leaving around noon to get to STL for the event. Teams would have to leave out Friday after PRI, essentially they missed Saturday portion of PRI due to Indy Indoors.

The following week would be the latemodel and modified show as advertised. A win win for everyone involved. As it stands now this weekend may be competing against DuQuoin. And I think that will hurt both crowds.

Either way I have 5 rooms booked at the Drury Inn across the street. Just waiting on ticket pricing and info. Hopefully we won't have to go through the ticketmaster fiasco.

2/17/16, 6:45 AM   #13
miledirt

I've seen late models at Belleville and Macon and there have definitely been some good shows, but I don't know... late models on a 1/5. Hope it works and agree, really hope this isn't scheduled against DuQuoin midgets

2/17/16, 11:02 AM   #14
Last Lap

I have seen Late Models at Bell-Clair. The cars are so big they have a hard time passing. If they would have come to St Louis not Indy they might have been able to start Chilli Bowl 2. With $20,00.00 to win a midget race you could have had your 320 cars. They had 60 at DuQouin.

2/17/16, 1:00 PM   #15
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

Ran an NDRA latemodel years back at the Silverdome in Michigan.. Once you learn to master the bump and run it is no different than Midgets at Ft.Wayne..I will say that after a while the haze that hung around did get rather annoying.

1 member likes this post: LRP36
2/17/16, 3:42 PM   #16
darnall

I just hope this isn't a sign that the STL supercross is finished after this year. I keep reading that any venue that hosts a supercross is not allowed to have any other type of motorsports event unless it's another FELD promotion (Monster Jam and such).

While I am tickled to see a building so close to me being used for racing, I wouldn't trade a supercross ticket for a shoebox full of indoor late model/modified tickets. If this leads to a midget show at the dome I am OK with supercross going bye bye, but otherwise the tradeoff doesn't come close in value in my opinion.

2/17/16, 6:07 PM   #17
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Well, ill be there. Wouldnt miss it for the world.

Wouldnt care what it is, it deserves support.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
2/17/16, 6:16 PM   #18
chathamracefan

I think the agreement w/ Feld is no events within a period of time before their event(maybe 60 or 90 days). Supercross in St Louis is typically in April I think so a December event would be outside that window.

1 member likes this post: short track scott
2/18/16, 2:00 AM   #19
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

darnall,

It's "fans" like you that REAL race fans don't want at these kind of events anyway. As a whole we really should be supporting any and every kind of racing event we can, especially something of this magnitude. I hate you wont be there, that is sad. But I am glad you are keeping your ego away, I'm sure you will watch it on youtube in secrecy anyway.

2/18/16, 3:12 AM   #20
flagboy55

Hope you guys have a great time, but have no interest in the nearly 6 hour ride for another indoor experiment. I hope it works, and everyone enjoys themselves. I wish I would have taken that stance on the indy debacle. If it weren't for seeing a few racers that I don't see too often, that would have been a total waste of a day of my life. If it works, I'll see you next year!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > GATEWAY DIRT NATIONALS . STL - Edwards Jones Dome.