IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
little Spike (Offline)
  #1 1/20/14 8:35 PM
There will be a Lightning Mini Sprints Showdown at the center at Du Quoin on February 14th, 15th, and 16th. for more information go to www.stevenaceracing.com All Mini Sprints please help by supporting this event.
DAD (Offline)
  #2 1/21/14 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by little Spike:
There will be a Lightning Mini Sprints Showdown at the center at Du Quoin on February 14th, 15th, and 16th. for more information go to www.stevenaceracing.com All Mini Sprints please help by supporting this event.
Little Spike

We are sure going to try to make DuQuion if the weather, job, and health hold out. For those racers that have not had the chance to race on the "Mini Magic Mile" you are missing a real experience. Just a little smaller than Tulsa, this indoor track is made with some top notch clay, I think they say it is the same clay that is used on the big track. This track is perfect for Mini Sprints, small enough that they are racing at maximum potential and wide enough so that they can do some serious 2 and 3 wide racing when the opportunity allows. The people that take care of the track have always done an excellent job in the past, keeping it smooth and racey.

Having raced with the "Illinois Lightning Sprint Series" before I know that the race will be run both fair and without hitches. They have some good sponsors helping to support this race and a purse that is SUPER.

With the support of the "Mini-Lightning Sprint" racers out there this IDEA has the possibility of becoming the Chili Bowl for the 1000cc cars. This could be the make or break chance for us to get the show on the road.

I spent my summers as a kid growing up with my Grand parents in McLeansboro Illinois, just up the road from DuQuion. My Grand Pa ran what we kids called an "Oil Well Farm" up in the Knobs out side of Walpole Illinois. He managed a dozen oil wells for some oil company and we thought it was neat getting to play around all those big old pumps. Back in the 50's Southern Illinois was King in Oil production before the United States decided to start buying from the middle east and capping most of the wells in Illinois. Sounds kinda of familiar doesn't it kinda of like Tulsa.

May be we need to look into the "Golden Oil Well" award for an Illinois race.

For you guys building new cars for this year, I am sure they will let you run "a la naturale". Try it we did and love it, heck you might like it also. You never know until you try it.

Honest Dad himself
openwheel44 (Offline)
  #3 1/21/14 1:06 PM
Went there one time a few years back. Are they still pitting outside like back then? I know a few got to get inside but 80% were outside in the spitting snow and 35 degrees after the sun went down. Rumor has it there is an enclosed structure outside they can put a few cars in???? Anyone have any knowledge of the pit situation?
jjones752 (Offline)
  #4 1/21/14 1:57 PM
On the pre-entry form there's a line for reserving a pit stall at 30 bucks and a comment *limited availability*. maybe the best bet is to call the promoter:
Steve Nace Racing Promotions
PO Box 9111, Paducah, KY 42002
(270)442-7532

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
RickyBobby (Offline)
  #5 1/21/14 2:21 PM
You're correct Phil, just outside the door they have a pretty long quonset hut that can pit a lot of cars inside of it.

Andrew Funk #8
DAD (Offline)
  #6 1/21/14 2:22 PM
How about this guys?

Lightning Sprints Showdown at the Center

February 14th, 15th& 16th, 2014

Steve Nace Racing Promotions CLASSES

Lightning Sprints Non Winged
(900 lbs.) No Tire Rule. Wheel Base 65 inches to 72 inches. Chain Drive Only. No quick change rear ends allowed. Car and driver must weigh 900 lbs. at conclusion of race. Motor max. displacement 1205cc. Upright chassis with driver’s feet behind the firewall and engine.

Wheels must be13” diameter. Minimum roll cage is 1 ¼” OD.095” wall Chromoly tubing. If you have a micro, midget, or sprint tank–it must have a bladder. No metal containers unless it has a rubber bladder in it. A drag race type fuel cell is allowed with a fiberglass shell over it.

Payout :1st-$2000, 2nd-$1000, 3rd-$500, 4th-$300, 5th-$200, 6th-$155, 7th-$145, 8th-$140, 9th-$135,10th-$130,11th-$125, 12th-$120, 13th-$115, 14th-$110, 15th-$105, 16th-$100, 17th-$100, 18th-$100.

Ok I'm Learning>

Honest Dad himself
jjones752 (Offline)
  #7 1/21/14 2:53 PM
I like the rules, or lack thereof. Nice and simple.
Dad, you cut the payout off too soon, 17th (and 18th) pay $100, not a ten-spot; that would be a pretty severe dropoff from 16th...

Jim Jones
DAD (Offline)
  #8 1/24/14 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
I like the rules, or lack thereof. Nice and simple.
Dad, you cut the payout off too soon, 17th (and 18th) pay $100, not a ten-spot; that would be a pretty severe dropoff from 16th...
JIM

Are you going to try to make it to the DuQuoin race? We probably are going to make it but may be a little short in the crew department. All help appreciated. I fell down the other day and tour my rotatoe cuff, make typing a real challenge. That was't so bad when they checked me out for the operation they decided that my lifetime guaranteed heart had a dead miss in it. Went and did the Dyno work on the tred mill thing today and they decided that since one arm wouldn't work to hold me on the tread mill they would have to give me a chemically induced dyno test, after doing that thing twice then they wanted to do an ultrasound to see if it was a boy or a girl, I kinda of feel for the ladies now that stuff is cold. So it is kinda of up in the air I will be a show or not.

Sure seems funny to me that the biggest race in min sprint history is getting ready to be run and nobody is talking about it. They seemto be more concerned about who sells the best used already been tested motors and swearing they found the best deal.

From what I can tell there will be indoor pits although heated with salamanders. I know that when we went a couple of years ago Jerry "T" got us a deal at the I think Holiday Inn across the street from the arena, but haven't heard anything about that either.

Does anybody know anything?

Honest Dad himself
jjones752 (Offline)
  #9 1/24/14 6:49 AM
Dad
Sorry to hear about your misfortune; I feel for ya 'cause I sprained my shoulder last fall wrestling my new bladder into the tail tank.
I'm probably not going to make it to DuQuoin this year. The car's still not quite ready and my uninsulated, detached garage isn't much warmer than the -3 reading on my outside thermometer right now. I've decided to focus my energy on Montpelier this year, with an eye to branching out a little later in the season or next year (IMRA, possibly DuQuoin next year, the Shootout if some unknown rich relative leaves me a small fortune).
Besides, I kinda shot my early-season budget going to the Chili Bowl; I may try to get out there to spectate, but it won't be for all 3 days. Gotta work Friday.

Jim Jones
DAD (Offline)
  #10 1/24/14 9:20 AM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
Dad
Sorry to hear about your misfortune; I feel for ya 'cause I sprained my shoulder last fall wrestling my new bladder into the tail tank.
I'm probably not going to make it to DuQuoin this year. The car's still not quite ready and my uninsulated, detached garage isn't much warmer than the -3 reading on my outside thermometer right now. I've decided to focus my energy on Montpelier this year, with an eye to branching out a little later in the season or next year (IMRA, possibly DuQuoin next year, the Shootout if some unknown rich relative leaves me a small fortune).
Besides, I kinda shot my early-season budget going to the Chili Bowl; I may try to get out there to spectate, but it won't be for all 3 days. Gotta work Friday.
jim

Nah:: the Chli Bowl was money well spent. It's a shame gasoline is so expensive, sure does make all of us think about conserving an inflating dollar bill. When a nickel candy bar cost a Buck Quarter make me thnk we are in trouble.

Did I say I put out 1/5 FFHP (Flat Foot Horsepower Power) on the dyno. Of course that was estimated as I didn't have to actually turn them rotors. They said I was knda of down on my SPM's Steps per minute. Going to have to work on that. I jumped on the doctor , I wanted to know why they never caught anybdy with a 25% blockage looked to me like they always waited for 75% to 90% before they noticed anything. These results should be interesting.

Guess I got to go out and find some heart problem website and chime in also.

Honest Dad himself