IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/9/08, 9:14 PM   #141
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
hacksaw

Speaking of unprofessionalism, seems to me USAC showed a lot of that by not informing anyone what was going on and then loading up and leaving as fans wandered what was going on. Very dissapointed in USAC's actions and so were a lot of other spectators

8/9/08, 9:21 PM   #142
Mike McCormick

Once again, I fail to see how that is USAC's fault. Mr Barhorst claims he had no idea what was going on. What kind of promoter doesn't know whats going on at his track? Maybe he had his head in the clouds, so he could deny everything and blame USAC anyway.

Once again, why wasn't Mr. Barhorst informing the fans, IT'S HIS RACETRACK.

8/9/08, 9:22 PM   #143
wideopenwheelie

I too have sat back and watched all the comments placing blame one set of shoulders or another but haven't seen this come up at all.....what's next???

The future of Union County is now in question - Plain and simple it's going to be real hard for MSCS to go there in a couple of weeks and justify a show after USAC pulls out...they're danged if they do and danged if they don't at this point.

They're probably guaranteed a low car count due to drivers feeling conditions are "unsafe" and if they don't follow USAC's lead and cancel and someone get's hurt everyone will say "I told you so"...either way it's money out of Union County's pocket all after the fact that the track was cleared as safe[/I][I] and a big decision for MSCS to make...

8/9/08, 9:27 PM   #144
Joe Kidd

I don't think they are really that concerned about safety. Or there would be a couple more tracks USAC races at that shouldn't. I just heard concerns about Kamp brought up during sprintweek. And they raced. I believe that was where someone a year or two ago ended up out in the parking lot if I'm not mistaken. Also where was it that one of the drivers flipped into the pits? People said on numerous accounts that people were usually walking by and were lucky no one got killed there. What track was it that they pulled some kid out the drink after he flipped over the wall at. They even quit running at Kokomo because of so called safety issues a few years ago. Vogler, Bettenhausen, Poncho Carter, Darland, Hewitt, Kinsers, Clauson and others didn't have a problem running there. But truth be told they were just po'd at the track owner. Is this what it is all about?

8/9/08, 9:36 PM   #145
Flatrightrear

If USAC wants to be considered a first-class professional racing organization they should have checked- with their own eyeballs - that anything they thought should have been taken care of by race day was,indeed, being taken care of and, if not, pull the sanction. Good grief, they've driven close by that track all summer long back and forth to other races. USAC needs some big time competition like the Outlaws have gotten a couple of times in their history. Somebody to really put the fear of God into them as far as their survival is concerned and then maybe they'll start acting like they really want to be the best they can be as an organization. Maybe they don't want to change and pulling penny-annie stunts is nothing to worry about. Well, it should be.

8/9/08, 11:26 PM   #146
Slick

Referencing the posting below, lets break this down stating things factually ….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCormick View Post
Therefore, the fault lies squarely with Union County Speedway and Tony Barhorst. Greg Staab, Jason Smith, or anyone from USAC for that matter does not have the time to hold Mr Barhorst's hand in his preparation for this race. It is Mr. Barhorst's responsibility to ensure HIS track is safe, not USAC's.
Unfortunately, this is where a generalized statement like above would be incorrect in the world of motorsports sanctioning.

1.) As USAC is the sanctioning body in question, it’s their JOB to inspect the Suitability, Adequacy, and foremost, the Satisfactoriness of said racetrack. FACT

2.) Inspection thereof said facility WAS NOT completed prior to race day as USAC a made a business DECISION, CHOOSING not to inspect. FACT

3.) Greg Staab was NO longer employed at USAC, period, end of subject. Thus making anything Greg said pre-approval wise, a NON-FACTOR. FACT

4.) Kevin Miller, Jason Smith, and Jason McCord ARE employed at USAC, thus making them solely CULPABLE and ACCOUNTABLE for the debacle. FACT

Quote:
…… those who do not care about drivers' safety.
5.) Any and ALL stated safety related concerns were remedied the day of, thus NOW making any safety related concerns - a scapegoat, and non-factor. FACT

Quote:
Mr. Barhorst ……. , IT'S HIS RACETRACK.
6.) Incorrect! Mr. Barhorst would be the leasee, not the owner. FACT

Bottom line, USAC, as a whole, as the sanctioning body, APPROVED said facility, put the date on the schedule, and had “OPPORTUNITY” to inspect the facility weeks ago, and they CHOSE NOT inspect the facility. Hand holding has NOTHING to do with inspecting a facility that USAC is responsible for approving the race date, then CHOOSING NOT to inspect. A few of you guys can spin this crap however you would like, but USAC possess all culpability. Plain and simple, cut and dried, stated factually.

Quote:
Please post your name …
Being a daily IOW.com reader and only 2x poster, here’s where a thread like this gets tricky, going down the path of questioning ones credibility. The way this forum is set-up, real names are not required. Instead, nicknames or pseudonyms are used. Thus I and others are only playing by the rules given, which is fair, right? When the rules change, let me and others know. Until then, I’m playing by the rules given. That said, ones real name credibility has nothing to do with ones honesty and intent. At least in my case that is. So please, spare me the childish “credibility” diatribe rant that your thinking about posting right now. If anyone wants to post back discussing facts, I’ll be more than glad to discuss. If you want to discuss semantics and untruth, I’ll politely pass.

8/10/08, 12:17 AM   #147
Mike McCormick

First you say this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
3.) Greg Staab was NO longer employed at USAC, period, end of subject. Thus making anything Greg said pre-approval wise, a NON-FACTOR. FACT
Then you say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Bottom line, USAC, as a whole, as the sanctioning body, APPROVED said facility

Which is it? Greg Staab approved the facility but he is no longer employed by USAC, so it's not worth consideration. Then you go on to say that USAC approved the faciliy. Did they? Not according to you.

You're just like anyone else on this board: Dealing in half-truths and "facts" that suit your bashing against USAC.

You have a bigger credibility issue than just your lack of conviction.

8/10/08, 12:34 AM   #148

Quote:
As a fan and crew member in Midgets and Sprints since I was born, I am outraged at the comments in this thread about the teams who left and USAC. Anyone who can blame this situation on USAC, at all, is out to lunch. Please come back to reality.

I will never attend another Barhorst promoted race. The way he treated the teams and USAC and nearly incited a fan riot with his comments is one of the biggest displays of unprofessionalism I've ever seen. For someone like DO to get on here and say he understands why Mr. Barhorst would make those comments surprises me completely. I've lost all respect for DO, if he even cares. DO: Would you understand if Mr Barhorst's unsafe racetrack injured or killed a driver? I would hope not.

Those that have posted it is USAC's fault for not inspecting the track, it has now come out that Mr. Staab did inspect the track and okayed it. It would seem prudent those who posted owe USAC and specifically Mr Staab, a huge apology, for your insinuation that Mr Staab cannot do his job. It would seem Greg and Jason have differing opinions about the limits of safety, a racetrack has. Who are you to judge Mr. Smith's position or Mr. Staab's for that matter> I see a bunch of people who don't even leave the grandstands, making posts that are factually incorrect and have no basis in logic.

While I have all of the respect in the world for a man of Greg Staab's stature, I cannot understand how he would okay that track as safe. I have not talked with Greg yet but I do intend to in the future and the only conclusion I can come up with is these problems occurred after Greg's inspection. Therefore, the fault lies squarely with Union County Speedway and Tony Barhorst. Greg Staab, Jason Smith, or anyone from USAC for that matter does not have the time to hold Mr Barhorst's hand in his preparation for this race. It is Mr. Barhorst's responsibility to ensure HIS track is safe, not USAC's.

Finally, I just have a few words for Mr Barhorst. Most words I have for him would probably get me kicked off this board. Unprofessional, immature, ignorant, disgusting are just a few words I would use to describe him. For Mr Barhorst to get on her and say "In the heat of the moment I said a few wrong things". Well then, Mr Barhorst, why are you having your press puppet, Jim Morrison, slam USAC in his posts with pictures and PR from the event? I cannot believe how people can allow their unfounded hatred of an organization to blind them from such a simple conclusion that Mr. Barhorst dropped the ball, did not care at all for the safety of the racers and placed the blame on USAC.

Mr. Miller, Mr Smith, you have my complete support for your series but if you ever run at a Barhorst promoted event, my cars will stay home.

Mike I have no clue what you do for a living, but when I fire someone, I am responsible to get there work completed and completed correctly. union county races every week and insurance, someone thinks its safe, and until someone tells me why its not safe i will asume it to be safe. and mike no one is yet to answer my question WHAT WAS SO UNSAFE???

8/10/08, 12:59 AM   #149
DonMoore10

All this doesn't matter, Mr. McCormick or whoever you are. Mr. Miller, who started this thread, by his own admission, admitted his organization ####ed up.

8/10/08, 1:02 AM   #150
Slick

Let me break this down again for the dimwitted ones that like to twist things around to fit how they want it to be perceived.

Anything Greg Staab said pre-approval wise, is a NON-FACTOR. Period, end of subject. Greg was dismissed from his duties at USAC well before this past Thursday. Thus it is solely Kevin Miller, Jason Smith, and Jason McCord’s JOB to inspect, or in this case, re-inspect said racetrack. Even if Greg approved the facility prior to his dismissal, it’s a mute point of contention the day he was dismissed from his duties at USAC, as well as now. This is not hard to understand.

Quote:
You're just like anyone else on this board: Dealing in half-truths and "facts" that suit your bashing against USAC.
Honestly Mike, I haven’t twisted one thing to favor my stance or positioning. I have on the other hand stated things truthfully, the way they REALLY are. Nothing I’ve stated is out of context, or a lie. You’re the one dealing in half-truths trying to spin the big USAC propaganda machine so they look innocent. Guys like you just get ticked when others come on here and “MythBust” your one-sided USAC propaganda.

Quote:
You have a bigger credibility issue than just your lack of conviction.
Again, going down the path of personal attacks, instead of staying on target stating your positioning, backing it up with validity. My conviction and credibility on this issue is strong, and I’ve only stated balanced truthfulness, with validity.

Quote:
"Fans" like you can stay home, as far as I'm concerned.
This is a prime example of the brainwashed arrogance coming out of the USAC fold right now. It’s the same kind of mentally twisted arrogance that spewed out of the mouth of the last USAC chief general in charge. You guys just don’t get it do you! Without guys like TopFuel, 767, myself, and a long list of others, the purse that you race for doesn’t get paid. If you’d like, we can stop going - but don’t blame us for your shortsightedness.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week