IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015
9/22/14, 7:26 AM   #21
Re: Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 201
the_77H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshoe65s View Post
Yeah! That's the spirit. I hope they get rid of one of the successful stock car divisions so they can run the underpowered, no-passing wing sprints. Cause we all know those stock car classes have absolutely no right to race on the same track. It's not like they work on their cars during the week, spend their hard earned money to support the track, or pay the same pit pass fee. Nooo, they are freeloaders and don't need a place to race...

(^^^^ Complete sarcasm ^^^^)

I don't care if they run wing sprints. I wish them the best in whatever they decide to do. I just like to fight back against the people who act like sprint cars are the only thing that deserve to be on the track.
Rant over lol
There will always be those type of people, and you'll never be able to change their mind. "Them there cars have fenders and starters, there's no way they could possibly put on a good show." But hey, let me go pay 35 bucks to watch a really fast train run a single groove for 30 laps (and then complain the next day because the racing wasn't any good). If they're smart, they won't drop a support class. Because that'll give the "sprint car only crowd" more time to pound back some beers during heat races, then they can all leave after the sprint feature like normal.

9/22/14, 8:25 AM   #22
nathan48moore

The 305 race saver class is huge. It works. In the Dallas area of Texas there are roughly 200 cars. It's growing and I know when I left they put on good shows and were only a .5 second slower than 360 cars. Inverting fields will make the racing exciting. The problem is to think a sprintcar is cheap. Sure you can build a car for 10k but to be competitive, different story. It's racing and it's not cheap. I spend the same amount racing 410 as I did 305. Don't be fooled there are 25k racesaver motors. New tires, bars, all still help. Good way to get a wing class started. But to say sprint car and cheap in the same sentence!!!

9/22/14, 9:22 AM   #23
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

If you want a competitive slot car class, mirror the sportsman cars of PA. Smaller top wing, no nose wing. Onboard starter and lots of cars.

1 member likes this post: davidm
9/22/14, 9:35 AM   #24
kcarm92

looks like a lot of teching to do to check engines, plus if rule are enforced says you cant drive your car back to your trailer as to be shut off at track exit and pushed back lol what a joke,

3 members like this post: babcock14d, HurstBros0, jim goerge
9/22/14, 9:47 AM   #25
flagboy55

Don't get me wrong, i hope it works. It certainly won't keep me away. When i go to the track, i go to see the top class. I understand that the lower classes can put on good races. You probably have good little league baseball games too, but unless a family member or friend is playing, I'm not going. Same for support classes. God bless all of you, but those classes are more participant driven than spectator driven.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/22/14, 9:52 AM   #26
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg45 View Post
what a joke .. Many tracks have tried running 305 series and didnt work only place its worked so far is ohio wont last
Quote:
Originally Posted by localyokel View Post
however, after a quick google search to see what the cost of a race saver 305 costs, you could put together a good 410 non wing car for the same price... Bummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fanthom View Post
how is splitting your field going to help? This stuff does not work to increase counts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick corea View Post
personally, a winged, under-powered sprint car division doesn't sound very appealing to me as a (now) spectator. But... If they displace a stock car division, i just might enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser11 View Post
it is a proven fact the only thing a 360 did was cut the purses, their is no other advantage to a 360 class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
another fear of a real low buck sprint class, while i like the idea of getting more people a chance to try it, it could also lead to a lot of work for push trucks pushing off beginners who are spinning out all time while they learn to race. I mean we all got to start somewhere, i just don't care to watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
if you want a competitive slot car class, mirror the sportsman cars of PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
looks like a lot of teching to do to check engines, plus if rule are enforced says you cant drive your car back to your trailer as to be shut off at track exit and pushed back lol what a joke,
Welcome to Indiana!

Last edited by Crankin; 9/22/14 at 9:53 AM.

2 members like this post: jjracer636, K9Racer
9/22/14, 9:55 AM   #27
DAD

Just like NASCAR has to reinvent itself every year or so to make itself more exciting to the fans in the stands and the fans watching TV also, perhaps support short track classes need to reinvent themselves and racing procedures. Two abreast restarts in stock cars is one approach, I guess it does beat inline restarts.

I ask myself why do we pay for feature performance only? What about the heat races, a lot of racers work hard for the heat position only to be rebuked by drawing a a lousy pill for the feature starting position. With the computers that we have now a better system could be devised for starting scoring and paying out winners.

The fast guys want to start on the pole so they can move out and move on without interference from the slower cars. That makes sense to me, but does it make for good racing for the race fans? I don't think so. When the faster car come up to lapped traffic and they usually do>>> that is when racing problems begin. The slower guy is racing for his position and is probably not anticipating getting lapped, he therefore races hard to hold onto that position (Who is really watching the flagman for a layover flag?) A lot of racing accidents accrue when lapping back markers, Rich Vogler always comes to my mind.

Why not pay heats (divide purse between heats and features), award passing points (for championship purposes) and start features inverted of heat finishes. Give the hard chargers something to race for other than a hard charger award Maybe even pay special bonus for the guy that starts from the back and wins. It would make for great racing for the fan, pay the racer that put forth extraordinary efforts, and help eliminate that dangerous job of passing lapped cars toward the end of an event.

With transponders available to track owners we might even start to qualify again doing so in packs, that would definitely add more excitement to the racing. If qualifying was also payed just as heats and features we could probably even eliminate some "sandbagging".

In the end I think we would end up with more competitive races and maybe also make racing a little safer for the racers.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/22/14, 10:21 AM   #28
Jim Gardner

Why start a new class when the Lightning Sprints are already around looking for quality tracks to run? The cars are cheaper to operate than these 305s will be and I'm certain that the purse is cheaper. (I highly doubt that guys running winged 305s will be happy with 400-500 to win and 100 or so to start) Also, the head of the MMSA and lead distributor of parts, chassis, and engines is headquartered in the backyard. Most of the guys running that series aren't but an hour away so car count should be ok even to start. Perhaps work with Linton to run bi weekly and actually build a young class instead of start something brand new.

9/22/14, 10:50 AM   #29
bobbyg45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gardner View Post
Why start a new class when the Lightning Sprints are already around looking for quality tracks to run? The cars are cheaper to operate than these 305s will be and I'm certain that the purse is cheaper. (I highly doubt that guys running winged 305s will be happy with 400-500 to win and 100 or so to start) Also, the head of the MMSA and lead distributor of parts, chassis, and engines is headquartered in the backyard. Most of the guys running that series aren't but an hour away so car count should be ok even to start. Perhaps work with Linton to run bi weekly and actually build a young class instead of start something brand new.

Exactly i agree

1 member likes this post: bowbuild
9/22/14, 11:05 AM   #30
Nick Corea

Emotionally charged over-reactions. Non-experts stating bogus "facts". Imaginative assumptions. These are just some of the things that make Indiana Open Wheel so entertaining.

5 members like this post: DaveP63, jjracer636, Josh Kinser, monkeyboy, mscs20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015