IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill
6/22/09, 8:07 PM   #11
Re: The Rumor Mill
sprint38racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
One thing to remember most of the programming you see Speed Channel someone is paying to put it on. I don't see any money coming from that.
But it's like that on any network. advertisers pay for time which allows for the coverage of baseball, football, nascar, etc. It's no different for sprints etc., a group of advertisers pay for it. My question is why doesn't any of that money come to race teams like it does to baseball teams, football teams,Nascar teams, etc.? As i stated earlier the Thunder Series and the other programming that was on the past didn't seem to pass on any of the money downt he line like the rest of the sports.

6/22/09, 8:09 PM   #12
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint38racer View Post
i saw a post this week where jan opperman won $12,000 at terre haute and second paid 7,700 30 years ago. I wonder how this was able to be paid in those times. I have a theory and tell me if it is just nuts. I remember as a kid watching the hulman classic on abc wide world of sports around that time period. Did abc pay a certain amount to cover the race and some of the money used in the purse structure? If yes, what is the situation with any tv races these days? One of the reasons professional baseball, football, basketball, golf, tennis, etc. Teams and athletes are so lucrative is because of television monies right? Is that not largely also how napacar and indy car are able to pay the purses they pay? If yes, why doesn't this occur to some degree for open wheel racing. I know there are not many televised races of any open wheel series now, but when there was it didn't seem that any television monies were flowing, or if they were they were not enough to make any noticable difference. Again i don't know if any of my thoughts are right or not, but i haved wondered about this and am curious if anyone has any definite answers.
abc paid every car $1000 that raced on sat the fastest 28 cars plus 4 more cars 29 30 31 32! In case they needed them! Now promoters pay for tv!!!!!!!!!! PLUS USAC GOT $50000

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

When espn covered usac races they gave every car that raced on tv $125 big spenders and then that went away usac took all the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by SUPERDUKE; 6/22/09 at 8:17 PM.

6/22/09, 8:15 PM   #13
sprint38racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
abc paid every car $1000 that raced on sat the fastest 28 cars plus 4 more cars 29 30 31 32! In case they needed them! Now promoters pay for tv!!!!!!!!!!
i DEFINETLY RACED IN THE WRONG ERA LOL!

6/22/09, 8:18 PM   #14
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint38racer View Post
i definetly raced in the wrong era lol!
it was not ez bout 50 - 60 cars show up!

6/22/09, 8:33 PM   #15
streihawk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
it was not ez bout 50 - 60 cars show up!
Duke, We shouldn't tell them about the "Calcutta"

6/22/09, 8:46 PM   #16
Kevin Miller

I agree TV would be a boost that could help change direction. Thus, for the last 14 months it os something we have been chasing. It is true today that the TV model for coverage is a pay for time model Some organizations buy TV time, and try to recoup selling commercials. This was attempted by USAC in recent history with a vary bad result financially.

We are working with a top producer and shopping USAC as a reality format. We have had interesting conversations as of late, and of course Thursday Night Thunder is still something we heavily pursue.

Times have changed. Reality TV has consumed America. TV does not pay unless the numbers are a huge draw.

Keep in mind too that today's TV is much more fragmented with 200 cable channels, Tivo everything without commercials, and now internet TV.

We are exploring some creative solutions. Internet TV has a strong potential, fed right to your big screen at home. The quality is getting there, and we have been playing with options. However, it is highly dependent on a very strong high quality internet connection, which is not found at most tracks we race on.

6/22/09, 8:58 PM   #17
MEAT

If the Thursday Night Thunder were to redevelop I think switching it up between dirt and pavement on a week to week basis would be a great way to display the sport.
Posted via Mobile Device

6/22/09, 8:59 PM   #18
dirtyd6305

Face it folks you will never have Thursday or Saturday Night Thunder the same as it was back then, after all Lingner Group Productions was the group responsible for producing all of those shows and they aren't even in operation anymore. You don't just throw a show on tv and have it come out as a nice product. There was a ton of work that went in behind the scenes for those shows that made Lingner stand apart from the rest; all you have to do is look at some of the present day stuff to notice that. Also a big part of the popularity of that series was that it was on ESPN. Versus and even SPEED do not have the same reach that ESPN would provide.

6/22/09, 9:12 PM   #19
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by streihawk8 View Post
duke, we shouldn't tell them about the "calcutta"
yes that paid a lot of extra money to the first 3 car and drivers in the feature!! Thats when we had promoters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don smith went out of his way to get the drivers & owners more money!!!! And it was a great nite to be part of it! Some got over $20000 to win!!!!!!!!!!!

6/22/09, 9:16 PM   #20
Wendy Atkin

Lingner Group Productions is very much still in business. Terry Lingner is producing the IndyCar Series races for Versus.

Here is Lingner Group's webwite: http://www.lgpinc.com/

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill