IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "OUTLAW" Sprint Cars
1/25/19, 4:49 PM   #1
"OUTLAW" Sprint Cars
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Must be of sprint car design....only 1 rule...NO WINGS...open motor...open tires...no weight rule ...Basically like it was in Ferkle/Patterson/Opp days...rung watch ya brung...

"OPEN" motor...BIG/small...Turbo/Supercharged...Injected/Carburetor

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

5 members like this post: ISF, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, Therealether
1/25/19, 5:29 PM   #2
Re: "OUTLAW" Sprint Cars
revjimk

Could be interesting... I Like the "run whatcha brung" concept...
Blowers?!?

3 members like this post: Bostonian, luckybuc97, nathans1012
1/26/19, 11:09 AM   #3
Midget98

Love the idea and if there's one area in the world that it would work it would be central Indiana. There's enough non sanctioned weekly sprint car track around Indiana for one of them to try it.

1/26/19, 11:31 AM   #4
KingRandomUser

Closest to this currently is both Paragon and the BOSS Sprints. Their rule set is minimal and mostly a run what you brung, though not quite to the extent the OP mentioned.

1/26/19, 12:00 PM   #5
SoIllSprinter

It was great, back in the day. Today’s technology and advances would make it a lot more dangerous (too much speed, grip, too light a car to run on quarters and halves) and certainly a more expensive deal. It did work at Paragon, but it can only really work if the purse is low enough to not make the new tech worth it. Everyone who straps in a sprint car has big onions if you ask me, but the best drivers would not run for the purses open rules would have to run to keep the high dollar tech out of it.

1/26/19, 1:40 PM   #6
MIracing

SOD is Michigan is a winged version of this. They do have a spec tire to help equalize the field. The have open engine and no weight rule.

2 members like this post: spicoli, Stevensville Mike
1/26/19, 6:31 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Me, Id' get rid of the whole 305-360 spec classes

Make a stock motor rule of any production engine and a 10 inch RR rule. All specs and working parts of engine must be factory.

Could you see Buick turbo v-6s run against hellcat motors or even mazda twin turbo rotarys.. All still a quarter the price of these 60k 410s

3 members like this post: motorhead748, PIT CART, sprinter31
1/27/19, 9:51 AM   #8
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIracing View Post
SOD is Michigan is a winged version of this. They do have a spec tire to help equalize the field. The have open engine and no weight rule.
SOD’s tire rule is what makes things interesting. They run a 13” RR and 11” LR. Everyone has been screaming for years to narrow the tires to take away the motor factor and SOD has done it. It is a shame no other series have looked at these Hoosier tires as the series still gets its tire money for series from Hoosier which drives a nice point fund.

1/27/19, 11:52 AM   #9
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Even "The World Of OUTLAWS" has lost the "TRUE" meaning of OUTLAWS.... The term of "OUTLAW" has and is being used by almost every group of winged organizations out there...It is very loosely used anymore.

That is why as I began to build my series in the south (Southeastern Sprint Car Series) or SSCS do I want to go the way of the "OUTLAW"....I do have a tire rule as per say...kinda more of a stagger rule but you can run Hoosiers and American Racers...and open motor...I do mean "OPEN" run what cha brung kind. and Min. of 1475 pds.

I am thinking must be of Traditional Sprint car design (no wings)...start the ingenuity...a true rung what cha brung.

This is for conversation only cause I know we are !!!!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: bighd0522, Ken Bonnema
1/27/19, 11:26 PM   #10
AJ_Engines

Wayne,

I'm a firm believer that rules only cost the little guy. No matter who tries to say different, in the end it's a little guy that gets hurt. Take the 602 late model fad, for instance. Now a little guy can't build an engine in his garage from scrounged up parts from the swap meet because that class "requires" 602 engines rebuilt by a certain building in the area.

If you keep it open, more people can scrounge stuff together to race and then they can be innovated in how they make that stuff go fast. Got a small motor - buy someone's good used shocks. Don't have money for adjustable shocks - buy a new tire. Etc.

Yes, someone will outspend you. But now you have the ability to outthink them, instead of being boxed in by the rulebook.

AJ

4 members like this post: MIracing, Speedsme61x, wallbanger II, Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "OUTLAW" Sprint Cars