IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Amati Racing Ready for Florida
2/17/14, 7:02 PM   #1
Amati Racing Ready for Florida
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

Amati Racing Ready for 2014 Winter Dirt Games
(Marion, IL) Motor Racing has always been a family sport. Bonds are formed over countless weekends traversing the country in lock step with so many others, chasing the glory of wins. So it stands to reason that more than a few friendships are formed between the children and grandchildren of those competing. Sometimes those friendships can turn into business relationships as well, and that is just what the 2014 USAC National Sprint Car season holds for Shane Wade, and Shane Cockrum. Cockrum of Benton, Illinois is the son of the legendary Cliff Cockrum who made his name in sprint cars in the 70’s and 80’s becoming one of the dominant drivers in southern Illinois and Indiana. Wade is the grandson of the legendary, “One Armed Bandit” Chuck Amati who competed as a true outlaw for many years all around the country. “We’ve known each other for years, and had tossed around the idea of doing something like this for a long time, and finally for this year we decided to do it.”
It will be Cockrum’s first foray into a full USAC schedule, as he will run for Rookie of the Year with the AMSOIL USAC National Sprint Car Series, in the #66 Amati Racing J&J/ Dynotech. He competed with USAC last year in both the Midget and Silver Crown divisions picking up 3 top five finishes in the Silver Crown division, and making 6 appearances with the National Midget Series. “We think we can be competitive, I know there is going to be a lot of learning involved, but I think we have a great group of guys, and I know Shane will give me the things I need to go try to run up front, and challenge to win races.”
This will be Amati’s Racing’s second year on the USAC National trail after competing in most events in 2013 with driver Jon Stanbrough who picked up the team’s first National win in the Indiana Sprint Week opener, at Gas City, Indiana. They would end the season tenth in owner points, but did not run races at the the beginning of the year meaning they missed out on several points. If their 2013 is indicative of the capabilities of this team, they could easily be one to be reckoned with. “We have a team that won some races last year, and a driver that has truly come into his own, he won with Powri last year in the midget, ran up front a lot with the Crown car, I think we can really get the job done. We have some awesome sponsors that let us do this, Marion Underground Construction, Shane Wade Enterprises, J&J Auto Racing, Dynotech Racing Engines, Infinity Shocks, Weld Racing, and Goodridge, have come on for this year, and we really want to take care of them as best as possible, and put on a good showing to thank them for their support,” said Wade when asked about the possibilities of the season.
But every season must have a starting point, and for the USAC National Sprint Car series that is at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala, Florida. Teams take to the track for their season opener on Thursday February 20, to begin their coast to coast trek that will end in November with the Budweiser Oval Nationals at the Perris Auto Speedway in Southern California. It will be a long season, but the team is confident, “I think we will get better as the season goes for sure, the more we work together, and the more seat time I get in the 410, things will get smoother, and maybe we can do some stuff along the way to open people’s eyes.”
For information about sponsorship or any interviews, you can contact the team via their Facebook fan page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shane...54160277952709, or via twitter @shanewade or @shanecockrum14.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Amati Racing Ready for Florida