IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I55 vs Tri State
6/16/20, 6:36 PM   #1
I55 vs Tri State
sw1911

Am I the only one who went to I55 and was impressed with the covid19 procedures, then went to Tri State and wondered what the hell was going on in Indiana with the total lack of response to the worldwide coronavirus? The claim of a 50 percent limit on ticket sales is a total farce. Fifty percent of what? Total possible standing room only ticket sales, which has never happened? There were more people there than the typical MSCS only race. There were almost as many people as the typical USAC race. I saw three people wearing masks. Why did Tri State not check body temps like I55 did? Just lost a whole lot of respect for Tri State. The covid19 signs were a joke.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
6/16/20, 7:27 PM   #2
IndianaSprintFan

No way tristate or any track for that matter is going to sell more than 50%. If you figure race track seating shoulder to shoulder there are a shot load of people you can pack in. That’s the number they are selling 50% of. Not 50% of a show that looks full where people mark off 6 more seats then they need and have a cooler big enough to drink for a week out of. Burg probably doesn’t sell 50% for 95% of their races

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
6/16/20, 9:11 PM   #3
Re: I55 vs Tri State
Nate

A few things here. I'm not gonna argue track vs. track because that is counterproductive but a few things we noticed as a group while tailgating at Haubstadt.

1.) Different states are going to have different rules. Not sure of the rules in Missouri but I know I watched an ASCoC race from Texas on Saturday night and that place was absolutely packed. Tonight Paragon looks to have a healthy crowd but I'm sure they take into account lawn seating so its hard to say where the capacity numbers come from. I can't judge. I know the "reserved" section at Haubstadt was nearly empty so it's hard to tell. I won't lay judgement on any track because I dont work for a one of them.

2.) Checking temps with that forehead thing is basically pointless but that's just my opinion. I run slightly hot normally, just the way my body functions and was told to wait outside a couple weeks ago for my haircut at Great Clips while it was 90+ degrees. When I came in...guess who had a fever? Yet, guess who didn't have a fever 2 mins later after being inside in the A/C? It's been more than 14 days now and no COVID even though I had a fever for 5 minutes. What about asymptomatic people? What would it do? Same with the masks? I get it. The science, that I've seen, shows it helps but if you're that worried...are you really gonna be at the track? Think about most of us that routinely show up at the track. We drink enough to kill a elephant, smoke, dip and then drive hundreds of miles to do the same thing the next day most weekends. I'm just saying, for those of us that show up at the track during a pandemic...I don't think health is the top priority for a lot of us.

3.) Improvements can be made. My biggest issue, as was with a lot of people I spoke to, was the way tickets are being sold/issued. If we are going to have to purchase tickets in advance of events to conform with state regulations, why would USAC not just mail us our pass? Instead, you've still got lines of people lining up at the ticket window like normal where the social distancing rules that have been put upon us are thrown out the window. Same with the pit gate window. Then you have to either hand off your printed version ticket to the ticket attendant or your phone, which science has also showed us is nearly as filthy as money. She then puts your band on and obviously makes contact with you.

USAC is already charging us for buying tickets online which is a minimal charge and I'm not complaining about that. If you can't afford that extra $1.80 or whatever you probably shouldn't be attending in the first place. However, if you're gonna charge us for buying online, charge me twice that amount and mail me my ticket/wristband so I don't have to stand in line nut to butt and then hand my phone or printed ticket just to have someone touch me whose touched hundreds of others. Not only is that a safer solution but much more streamline but then again....gotta think of the organization were talking about.

Other things could be done by the track if it is required. Marking out where you can and cannot sit for the sake of distancing. I'm not in favor of that but its a thought. Concessions are clearly going to be open but there are ways to minimize contact or at least cross contamination....the list goes on.

Overall, I felt safe this weekend. Why? I had a cold beer in my hand, I was with my racing family, and I got to see a damn good race. I was where I belong.

6/16/20, 9:42 PM   #4
Rpracing1

Did not mask up at TSS.

After the crowd, will probably do so at LPS and the WoO shows just because I’d rather not feel as if I got some at risk person sick.

Do as you feel necessary.

6/16/20, 9:46 PM   #5
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
A few things here. I'm not gonna argue track vs. track because that is counterproductive but a few things we noticed as a group while tailgating at Haubstadt.

1.) Different states are going to have different rules. Not sure of the rules in Missouri but I know I watched an ASCoC race from Texas on Saturday night and that place was absolutely packed. Tonight Paragon looks to have a healthy crowd but I'm sure they take into account lawn seating so its hard to say where the capacity numbers come from. I can't judge. I know the "reserved" section at Haubstadt was nearly empty so it's hard to tell. I won't lay judgement on any track because I dont work for a one of them.

2.) Checking temps with that forehead thing is basically pointless but that's just my opinion. I run slightly hot normally, just the way my body functions and was told to wait outside a couple weeks ago for my haircut at Great Clips while it was 90+ degrees. When I came in...guess who had a fever? Yet, guess who didn't have a fever 2 mins later after being inside in the A/C? It's been more than 14 days now and no COVID even though I had a fever for 5 minutes. What about asymptomatic people? What would it do? Same with the masks? I get it. The science, that I've seen, shows it helps but if you're that worried...are you really gonna be at the track? Think about most of us that routinely show up at the track. We drink enough to kill a elephant, smoke, dip and then drive hundreds of miles to do the same thing the next day most weekends. I'm just saying, for those of us that show up at the track during a pandemic...I don't think health is the top priority for a lot of us.

3.) Improvements can be made. My biggest issue, as was with a lot of people I spoke to, was the way tickets are being sold/issued. If we are going to have to purchase tickets in advance of events to conform with state regulations, why would USAC not just mail us our pass? Instead, you've still got lines of people lining up at the ticket window like normal where the social distancing rules that have been put upon us are thrown out the window. Same with the pit gate window. Then you have to either hand off your printed version ticket to the ticket attendant or your phone, which science has also showed us is nearly as filthy as money. She then puts your band on and obviously makes contact with you.

USAC is already charging us for buying tickets online which is a minimal charge and I'm not complaining about that. If you can't afford that extra $1.80 or whatever you probably shouldn't be attending in the first place. However, if you're gonna charge us for buying online, charge me twice that amount and mail me my ticket/wristband so I don't have to stand in line nut to butt and then hand my phone or printed ticket just to have someone touch me whose touched hundreds of others. Not only is that a safer solution but much more streamline but then again....gotta think of the organization were talking about.

Other things could be done by the track if it is required. Marking out where you can and cannot sit for the sake of distancing. I'm not in favor of that but its a thought. Concessions are clearly going to be open but there are ways to minimize contact or at least cross contamination....the list goes on.

Overall, I felt safe this weekend. Why? I had a cold beer in my hand, I was with my racing family, and I got to see a damn good race. I was where I belong.

Nate Nailed It! Now drop the mic and walk off stage my friend. I particularly like “ We drink enough to kill a elephant “

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Nate
6/16/20, 9:48 PM   #6
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Did not mask up at TSS.

After the crowd, will probably do so at LPS and the WoO shows just because I’d rather not feel as if I got some at risk person sick.

Do as you feel necessary.
Thanks Bobo, you know I’m fragile.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, TNRustler
6/16/20, 9:58 PM   #7
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
Am I the only one who went to I55 and was impressed with the covid19 procedures, then went to Tri State and wondered what the hell was going on in Indiana with the total lack of response to the worldwide coronavirus? The claim of a 50 percent limit on ticket sales is a total farce. Fifty percent of what? Total possible standing room only ticket sales, which has never happened? There were more people there than the typical MSCS only race. There were almost as many people as the typical USAC race. I saw three people wearing masks. Why did Tri State not check body temps like I55 did? Just lost a whole lot of respect for Tri State. The covid19 signs were a joke.
Please allow me to understand what you are saying/asking. You purchased a ticket for the race in the midst of all that is going on. You arrived at the facility and immediately determined that the procedure being used made you uncomfortable yet you continued to enter. Then after not getting a temp check you moved to the stands and stayed there for the event while being near people without masks which it sounds like is a problem for you. You are comparing your 50% number problem to what a possible normal crowd might look like but have no real numbers to compare. If I have this right then please tell me why after multiple opportunities to go home you didn’t? Unless you did and forgot to mention that. It is real simple sir. If you don’t feel comfortable YOU should stay away until YOU feel safe. It is time for people to stop being critical of those who have moved forward. To say you have lost respect for the facility because you felt like the procedures weren’t good enough yet stayed there is hypocritical at bare minimum. If you weren’t sure what Indiana has for procedures vs what Missouri does, why not call ahead? Take responsibility for YOU and let others do it for themselves. I would add that maybe I-55 should have added staff for the as you stated very good COVID policy and had enough people for track prep. That was awful. Everyone has confronted the pandemic differently. People should do what allows them to feel safe. It is just as easy to stay away if your not comfortable as it was for you to complain about it. I couldn’t go to TSS because I waited to purchase and was told it’s sold out. I wish people like you didn’t buy tix to see a race I couldn’t then ***** about your experience.

6/16/20, 10:07 PM   #8
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Nate Nailed It! Now drop the mic and walk off stage my friend. I particularly like “ We drink enough to kill a elephant “
We've tailgated together, you know I pull my weight

Human life is no joking matter and I take that into consideration. Hell, I'm sure Jim and the rest of the crew noticed when I move far away when I have a smoke but at the same time. You can't be 100% safe, 100% of the time. It's damn near impossible.

6/16/20, 10:25 PM   #9

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

been to 2 shows so far. WOO at beaver dam and Knoxville. both took temps both people sat every other row and spaced out. both were limited ticket sales. I could count the number of masks without using my toes. I had one around my neck that I put up on entry and in concessions out of respect for the few there wearing one. Jonny made regular announcements, though there were no social distancing police fans did fairly well.

Some of my takeaways is a track that can open at 50% is secretly chuckling as aside from a major event 50% would be a large crowd. The race fan is not going to mask up. If you are heading for the temp check press your cold beer on your forehead just before you chug it. Any rules that there are, are going to quickly go away so if you wanted to go to a safe felling race you missed it.

Now who wants to go to Cedar lake Speedway July 2-4 WOO Sprints and Late models. Being billed as the first full capacity sporting event in the USA.
Last edited by Points; 6/16/20 at 10:27 PM.

6/16/20, 10:55 PM   #10
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Points View Post
been to 2 shows so far. WOO at beaver dam and Knoxville. both took temps both people sat every other row and spaced out. both were limited ticket sales. I could count the number of masks without using my toes. I had one around my neck that I put up on entry and in concessions out of respect for the few there wearing one. Jonny made regular announcements, though there were no social distancing police fans did fairly well.

Some of my takeaways is a track that can open at 50% is secretly chuckling as aside from a major event 50% would be a large crowd. The race fan is not going to mask up. If you are heading for the temp check press your cold beer on your forehead just before you chug it. Any rules that there are, are going to quickly go away so if you wanted to go to a safe felling race you missed it.

Now who wants to go to Cedar lake Speedway July 2-4 WOO Sprints and Late models. Being billed as the first full capacity sporting event in the USA.
That track was always challenging on the WoO game on XBox...Always wanted to check out Cedar Lake.

On a real note, I think you bring up a serious note and something we could all take away. I haven't been a mask guy this whole time but I'd be okay with wearing a mask in certain areas (gate, restrooms, concessions stands) if necessary out of respect for others. That's certainly something I could get onboard with...if the other precautions or solutions I previously mentioned were utilized as well.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I55 vs Tri State