IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just Sad - 16th Street Speedway
11/10/09, 9:05 AM   #1
Just Sad - 16th Street Speedway
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I caught this on the channel 13 news in Indy last night. The old stadium/track is being used as a junk yard holding place now. There is some video along with the story. Place looks terrible. Sure did have some good memories of the place.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=11472968

7 members like this post: buck2, Obie, spankytoo, speed9, SteveD, STP, usa1bowtie
11/10/09, 5:22 PM   #2
Re: Just Sad - 16th Street Speedway
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
I caught this on the channel 13 news in Indy last night. The old stadium/track is being used as a junk yard holding place now. There is some video along with the story. Place looks terrible. Sure did have some good memories of the place.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=11472968
I seem to remember several nights, that it looked like that after the feature!!!Bob

11/10/09, 5:36 PM   #3
Seadog

The nicest driver I think I ever met was at 16th Street Speedway. Ron Smoker - what a great guy. I remember he commuted by car every weekend fron New England to Indy and back just to race a midget. I was happy when he won the title in a real nail biter. IIRC, he was in the Parker Machinery 24 car.

11/10/09, 5:58 PM   #4
nowings4me

Man, that track was always rough, but unbelievably fast for it's size. Every time I drive past there, I wish it was still open for racing. I always wondered how many gazillion dollars were lost on that deal. Sad to see that entire property looking like it does now.

11/10/09, 5:59 PM   #5
tqracer65

There was definately some real good racing there. If only somebody could afford to buy it and make it back into a racetrack and bring it up to be one of the nicest in the area, would take some money but would be pretty cool.

11/10/09, 6:01 PM   #6
REH24

Funny I drove down by the race track just yesterday coming from the USAC office to see if it was still around as I thought the city was planning on tearing it down. Lot of memories watching the midgets run there. Seems like always a good show, like the night Jay Drake turned Tony Stewart over intentionally. The funny thing was Tony was letting Jay stay at his house while racing in the mid-west but Tony took it all in jest.

REH

11/10/09, 8:24 PM   #7
jackhole

LMFAO!! Did nobody see the comments under the story?

UMAN -
"PIC-A-PART IS RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD SELL THE CARS TO THEM. PEOPLE STILL NEED PARTS. JUST PULL THE VEND. NUMBERS"

Guest -
"I know it may be difficult for you, but did you actually read the story??"

Thanks, JACKHOLE

11/10/09, 9:11 PM   #8
v8j

the lead paint was the big problem their as far as being used now

11/10/09, 11:17 PM   #9
mac miller

The neighbors complained about the noise saying that the race cars drowned out the normal sound of gunfire in the surrounding neighborhoods. Not a real great area of town....

11/11/09, 10:59 AM   #10
TQ29m

My first trip there, was in the mid to late 40's, actually to a baseball game, my second trip there, was to opening night as a race track, close to 50 years later, surprising how sometimes your mind will recall things you thought were totally forgotten. We raced there off and on, until it was closed, a real momentum track, a slight lift, and you were history. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just Sad - 16th Street Speedway