IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > bill gardner up date
7/28/14, 11:26 PM   #161
Motormasher

I am sorry I never got to meet Bill.
My condolences to every one who was close to him and his family.
Love IOW.

Dave Scott #7

7/28/14, 11:34 PM   #162
gtownplowboy

R.I.p. bill

7/28/14, 11:47 PM   #163
Honest-Sam

Has to be double tough to come on here, given the subject, and report this kind of bad news. Thank you Brian Hayden. I am really, genuinely, sorry for your loss. Please, please PM me if any assistance is needed. Again, peace be with all family and friends as well as Bill.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Pat O'Connor Fan
7/28/14, 11:49 PM   #164
Re: bill gardner up date
Jerry Shaw

Just to tell you how much Bill shunned attention and acclaim, a while back, before the IOW race I got a text from Bill. It was a text with a picture attached to it. Before everybody else got to see it, LPS had sent him a pic of the event tshirt. It was your typical sprinter graphic and said "Bill Gardner's IOW Racin Fest" at the top of the graphic. The message to me read:

"Guess what part of this I don't like?" As soon as I read that I answered back" "Obviously, it's that it has your name on it." Then he said "Ha. I knew you'd know." That was just Bill. Another example, look up and down the main IOW webpage or the forum page. How many times (other than this thread) do you see Bill's name? I count ZERO. Because it's never been about Bill. It's always been about the thing that Bill loves. This racing community. If he had a bigger ego, his name could have been plastered all over IOW. But it never was.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

7/28/14, 11:55 PM   #165
Honest-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Just to tell you how much Bill shunned attention and acclaim, a while back, before the IOW race I got a text from Bill. It was a text with a picture attached to it. Before everybody else got to see it, LPS had sent him a pic of the event tshirt. It was your typical sprinter graphic and said "Bill Gardner's IOW Racin Fest" at the top of the graphic. The message to me read:

"Guess what part of this I don't like?" As soon as I read that I answered back" "Obviously, it's that it has your name on it." Then he said "Ha. I knew you'd know." That was just Bill. Another example, look up and down the main IOW webpage or the forum page. How many times (other than this thread) do you see Bill's name? I count ZERO. Because it's never been about Bill. It's always been about the thing that Bill loves. This racing community. If he had a bigger ego, his name could have been plastered all over IOW. But it never was.

Jerry
Thank you Jerry. I just know that there are many more stories out there that are similar to this. I think, that theme should take over on this thread. 👍

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
7/29/14, 12:18 AM   #166
Stealth87

I never got the chance to be able to meet Bill. But I was however, fortunate to chat with him on here a few times and get my IOW shirt shipped to me before I left for Sprint Week. He will be missed by many. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family during this tough time.

7/29/14, 12:21 AM   #167
Longtime sprinter

R.I.P. Bill, and prayers to his family.

7/29/14, 1:07 AM   #168
Speedracer

Rip

7/29/14, 1:37 AM   #169
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest-Sam View Post
Bill and I did a decal for Dwight Clock. He handled production and I handled distribution. Would like to do that again, only for Bill. If anyone can take care of production, I will distribute. Please PM if interested.

It feels a little early for such a discussion, so sorry for that.

RIP Bill. And, peace to your family and friends.
Sam, I don't think it is ever to early to think of doing a decal honoring Bill. Actually an earlier posters tribute to Bill made me think it would make a great decal. You know if you do get something together I will want some as we know so many other IOW members will.

Earlier today my thoughts on Bill's passing were put in another thread on IOW, then I started reading all of the post here and felt overcome with sadness for Bill's family and his IOW friends and racing family. I couldn't put my thoughts down on this thread at the time, many of my thoughts are the same as others. I never had the pleasure of meeting Bill yet felt like he was a friend. Thanked him every chance I got on here for him giving us this great website. Several have mentioned cancer sucks in there post and while sucks isn't a word I use, I have to agree with them. Twenty-two cases in my family over the years sure makes those words "cancer sucks" appropriate. Bill taught us all so much in how he faught his battle with cancer. Sadly Bill wasn't the only racer to be called home today, Bud Ward from the Central NY Dirt Racing Community was also needed for the bench racing happening up above. My thoughts, prayers and condolences are with the Gardner family and Ward family at this difficult time.

RIP Bill & Bud

Patti

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, Mud Packer
7/29/14, 2:35 AM   #170
cmiracingvids

So sorry to hear this. Thank you Sooo much Bill, for all you've done for this great sport we all love so much. God Speed to you. My thoughts and well wishes to your family and loved ones.

Colin Miller

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > bill gardner up date