IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group qualifying
9/20/16, 2:49 PM   #21
Re: Group qualifying
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Thanks for all the input! Lots of interesting well thought out posts.

9/20/16, 2:53 PM   #22
Larry G.

POWRi passing points works good for them; USAC two lap single car qualifying works good for them; and Kokomo group qualifying works good for them. Really don't see what is broke.

3 members like this post: AB Racing, kcarm92, Kirk Spridgeon
9/20/16, 3:26 PM   #23
openwheelfan1

I personally like the group qualifying. The Knoxville Nationals used the two car one lap qualifying approach and split the field on Friday night of the Nationals, and while it cut the time down some, it did NOT cut it in half IMO. There was still a significant decline in the speed of the track from the first "good" car to the the last car to qualify in a group. Group qualifying does seem to put less emphasis on your qualifying draw.

I have seen some comments about how group qualifying puts drivers unfamiliar with a track or those who miss the set-up at an unfair disadvantage. Maybe a compromise to that issue is let the groups hot lap and then send the groups back out for group qualifying.

9/20/16, 3:48 PM   #24
treecitytornado

The Outlaws do 2 groups.

9/20/16, 4:16 PM   #25
JDK222

Quote:
Originally Posted by farriswheel View Post
With as much as the track typically changes between hot laps and qualifying, the chances of hitting the setup right for either, are about the same IMO.
Your right I have no idea what I am talking about!

9/20/16, 4:46 PM   #26
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I like single car 2 laps at all shows. You get a chance to see who is really on the edge and I don't care if it takes longer because I usually have to drive at least 4 hours each way to get to see sprint cars on the track. The longer the better. I have all week to not watch sprint cars. It's not my goal to go see the shortest show possible. Tracks that are prepped right don't change that much for non-wing cars. You can't compare anything about winged racing with non-wing. They don't relate.

3 members like this post: captrat, jjones752, oppweld
9/20/16, 4:48 PM   #27
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I've always been kind of a traditionalist, and from where I come from in SoCal that meant 2 laps against the clock. Sure, that meant the track conditions could be drastically different, from greasy for the first few, ideal for the middle of the draw and slicked off at the end (unless you were at Ascot, where it went from suck-your-shoe-off tacky, to perfectly tacky to just a tick off perfectly tacky), but anybody worth strapping in would try to guess what the conditions would be when your pill came up, just like for hotlaps, your heat, (or the Consi if you guessed wrong) the Semi (if you guessed OK but got blown away by the inverts who guessed the heat setup better) and the Main. Dirt track racing is all about hitting the setup throughout the program and qualifying was an electrifying part of the whole show. And it was truly a show.
Having said that, that was also back in the day when the whole show was Sprint Cars, or a double-header with Midgets at the most. In the modern world of Sprints, Mods and 3 or 4 classes of Super Thunder Bomber Streets, I'd have to vote for group qualies in your heat group, just to keep things inside the curfew...
Except for any USAC show; there, the tradition should be maintained (but the support classes should be limited).
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 9/20/16 at 4:54 PM.

9/20/16, 4:54 PM   #28
Midget 89

Group qualifying is another of NASCRAP's bad ideas.

3 members like this post: captrat, ThrowbackRacingTeam, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group qualifying