IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoffman Racing reaches one milestone and next year another
6/30/08, 5:58 PM   #11
Re: Hoffman Racing reaches one milestone and next year another
Racerrob

Dean,

The vast majority (upwards of 60) of the wins have occurred since 1989 when we first decided to again compete at all the USAC events. We took the years 1978 through 1987 off from sprint cars as we were racing Indy cars from 1973 through 1985 and it was too much to do both.

The first USAC win of the recent era (with me as crew chief) came at Belin Speedway, Marne, MI over the 1989 July 4th holiday weekend. I believe Rich Vogler lapped up to about 5th place with the Buick V-6. I will never forget that win because my father refused to buy the team a 4 wheeler until we got a USAC win! I ordered the 4 wheeler from the local Honda shop the following business day! :rolling

I would ask all the members of the board (especially those with long memories or accurate records) to check out the driver list on our website http://www.hoffmanracing.com/Drivers08.htm and let me know if you know of any that we are missing. We would like to be sure to include every driver that has wheeled a HAR car in competition in the list.

Thanks to all the fans that have come to the races over the years and enabled us to pursue the sport that my family so dearly loves. BTW the 4th generation is waiting in the wings!!

Sincerely,

Rob Hoffman

6/30/08, 6:29 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Didn't see Leon Thickstuns name on there Rob
Im almost possitive he drove some races for you 89-91 era. I remember one night a rare Non Wing night him flatfooting the entire track when that was unheard of non winged at the old burg

6/30/08, 7:03 PM   #13
Kirk Spridgeon

Congrats to a great group of guys! It's hard to find a team that gets more excited over a win....it's easy to see how much passion they have for what they're doing! That car has been a trademark for as long as I can remember, so it's cool to see them still winning races with such a likeable driver...

6/30/08, 7:26 PM   #14
Millsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Dean, Tim can answer better but I think there were some years they didn't compete in sprints at all - the Indy years, maybe- so their average wins per year probably is more than one would think at first glance.
I was speaking specifically of the years they actually fielded an entry as a racing team. Not necessarily of sprint cars. After all, as we all know "sprint cars" didn't actually exist in 1929. I guess my question is, has there been a Hoffman Auto Racing entry fielded in at least one American auto race every year since 1929?

Also, a question directly for Rob...Does your family have records as to how many race (feature) wins you have in your entire 80 year career? Just curious. That the majority of your victories in USAC have come in the past 20 years is even more impressive. Again, thanks for fielding a team that has helped set the bar in not only USAC competition, but short track racing as a whole. It is with all the respect in the world that I say, your endurance and enthusiasm for the sport we all love is very much appreciated. Sincerely,

Dean Mills

6/30/08, 7:57 PM   #15
Racerrob

I can't speak to the years before (pre 1964) I was born but I know we did not field a car in 1986. I spent part of that year working for A.J. Watson on Indy cars. My father and I went to most of the races at Lawrenceburg that season as fans sitting in the stands. My grandfather, father and I all wanted to get to get back into racing as competitors so my father made me a deal. If I would paint the Chevy Dually while he was on vacation, he would buy a sprint car and we would run the Burg on a wekly basis.

In February 1987 we ordered a Gambler kit since that was what Steve Kinser was running. We called Gaerte and Shaver for a engine. Gaerte was 6 weeks and Shaver was 6 months so we bought a Gaerte. We had no spare parts since we were only going to run weekly at the Burg. My father told me that if something broke we would load the car and drink beer in the stands the rest of the night! He was determined not to become the serious racer again. :wink

The first night we set quick time with Kerry Norris, won our heat and were leading the feature when the rear brake pads spit out of the caliper. I called Tommy Sanders at Gambler and he said "Oh, didn't I tell you that you need to put a bolt through the brake pads. I'll send you one." I installed the bolt and had the exact same results: Fast Time, Heat Win, brake pads broke the bolt and came out of the caliper. So I built a plate that covered the pads so they could not possibly come out of the caliper and we swept the show the third week.

Kerry Norris said to us in Victory Lane, "Did you want to run Millstream tomorrow (Sunday)?" Of course high from a win we all said yes and made the trip north to Findlay the next night where we won again. That progressed into Friday nights at Bloomington as well. So now our little Saturday night hobby quickly progressed into 3 nights each week by mid summer.:rolling

Long answer to your question Dean, I am sure there were other years that we did not field a car besides 1986. We also did not keep records of all the races in which we have competed. There were some years we did not field a sprint car but did compete with a midget. And yes there were not "sprint cars" in 1929 but my grandfather had a "roaring roadster" which for all intents and purposes was the forerunner to our sprint cars.

Hope that covers it!!

Rob Hoffman

6/30/08, 7:59 PM   #16
Dwight Clock

The longevity of the team, the incredible list of drivers, and the amazing number of wins combine to stamp the Hoffman team as an icon of the sport of sprint car racing. Congrats to all who are/were a part of the team over the years. Oldtimer just has to have a big smile on his face!

7/1/08, 8:13 PM   #17
kinser

Hey Rob I saw Kerry at the Burg 2 weeks ago and he was working as a track official ! Didn`t Kerry copy that Gambler car over at Niebels shop or was that a car that he owned himself ?

7/1/08, 8:46 PM   #18
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerrob View Post
I can't speak to the years before (pre 1964) I was born but I know we did not field a car in 1986. I spent part of that year working for A.J. Watson on Indy cars. My father and I went to most of the races at Lawrenceburg that season as fans sitting in the stands. My grandfather, father and I all wanted to get to get back into racing as competitors so my father made me a deal. If I would paint the Chevy Dually while he was on vacation, he would buy a sprint car and we would run the Burg on a wekly basis.

In February 1987 we ordered a Gambler kit since that was what Steve Kinser was running. We called Gaerte and Shaver for a engine. Gaerte was 6 weeks and Shaver was 6 months so we bought a Gaerte. We had no spare parts since we were only going to run weekly at the Burg. My father told me that if something broke we would load the car and drink beer in the stands the rest of the night! He was determined not to become the serious racer again. :wink

The first night we set quick time with Kerry Norris, won our heat and were leading the feature when the rear brake pads spit out of the caliper. I called Tommy Sanders at Gambler and he said "Oh, didn't I tell you that you need to put a bolt through the brake pads. I'll send you one." I installed the bolt and had the exact same results: Fast Time, Heat Win, brake pads broke the bolt and came out of the caliper. So I built a plate that covered the pads so they could not possibly come out of the caliper and we swept the show the third week.

Kerry Norris said to us in Victory Lane, "Did you want to run Millstream tomorrow (Sunday)?" Of course high from a win we all said yes and made the trip north to Findlay the next night where we won again. That progressed into Friday nights at Bloomington as well. So now our little Saturday night hobby quickly progressed into 3 nights each week by mid summer.:rolling

Long answer to your question Dean, I am sure there were other years that we did not field a car besides 1986. We also did not keep records of all the races in which we have competed. There were some years we did not field a sprint car but did compete with a midget. And yes there were not "sprint cars" in 1929 but my grandfather had a "roaring roadster" which for all intents and purposes was the forerunner to our sprint cars.

Hope that covers it!!

Rob Hoffman
"And yes there were not "sprint cars" in 1929 but my grandfather had a "roaring roadster" which for all intents and purposes was the forerunner to our sprint cars."

If you can find a copy of the book called The Illustrated History Of Sprint Car Racing 1896-1942 by Jack C Fox, I think you would find it an interesting read.

Congratulations, and thanks to the team for your contributions to the sport over the years.

7/1/08, 11:02 PM   #19
RDS2

Rob
Keep up the good work. Miss not being at the track this summer but staying home and making a few dollars sure isn't hurting me either. Say Hi to all the gang and hope to visit later this season.
Ron

7/1/08, 11:12 PM   #20
case3

Congrads to har on 70 wins.keep up the hard work guys. Rob i do recall 1989 at berlin you guys had the buick v6 flying that was the first time i met rich vogler you and him made a great combo.keep the oldtimer smiling we all know how proud he is of all of you guys.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoffman Racing reaches one milestone and next year another