IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/ARDC is history
1/27/19, 6:50 PM   #21
Ntfsprint5w

Really hoping the midget deal can stay together and have some races, even if it’s 5 or less. Midgets are my favorite kind of racecar and the guys who run midgets in PA are some great individuals. They deserve to get to run some races

2 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld
1/27/19, 6:59 PM   #22
wlesher

Lincoln has added the midgets to the may schedule.....shannon maustellar is trying to piece together a schedule and of coarse USAC midget week will draw some cars out of the garage.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld, XtremeLS1
1/27/19, 11:55 PM   #23
Re: USAC/ARDC is history
jdull99

What were the engine rules the last couple of years?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/28/19, 9:34 AM   #24
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Don't write off ARDC so quickly. There are people still working to try and save Midget racing in the area. Let's hope there is still some interest left from tracks and car owners.

I'd like to see ARDC if they can make a good come back try and create or partner with the 600cc Wingless Micros and run them together as a package program. A lot of the guys that used to run with ARDC are now running 600cc Wingless Micros. Get guys a chance to run two cars at the same program might help get the midgets cars back out on the track.

6 members like this post: Indy1808, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, mc/rider, PJ Wright, XtremeLS1
1/28/19, 4:20 PM   #25
jeffj

There are going to be 2 Open Midget shows in New Hampshire this year at RumTown Speedway, (Formerly Legion Speedway) allowing both National and D2 midgets to compete.
They are July 20th and Oct 5th
We are hoping some of the ARDC cars out of PA will make the trip up.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
3/24/19, 1:36 PM   #26
TheJeffster77

Race Count This Year: 40+
Race Count Last Year: 60+ races driving, around 20 spectating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
It's really sad for those of us who followed ARDC in the 60s, when they were almost as strong as the USAC midgets with whom they occasionally sanctioned some shows. When a few ARDC cars ventured to a NEMA race, they tended to kick our tails. During the 70s, Ed Darrell promoted a weekly ARDC show at Grandview, and I believe that eventually killed them. The owners who wanted to travel switched to some kind of sprint car, rather than go to Grandview every Sunday night. Then, when the weekly shows died, a number of local (to Grandview) cars dropped out because they didn't want to travel. The car counts never recovered.

They lost more support when they went to wings and then dropped them.

Even if their own actions didn't hurt them, trying to run in an area that had 420 sprints, 360 sprints, 358 sprints, super sportsmen and various sizes of minisprints would have made it very difficult, anyway. There just wasn't room in the schedules to fit in a class that was confusing to many racing fans, but was trying to maintain a relatively high payoff.

In contrast, NEMA is surviving in New England. They started a "Lite" class that runs a lesser engine and, as a result, can deliver a 2-class show that regularly brings close to 30 cars. Last year, NEMA averaged 13 cars, while the Lites averaged 15. The costs still hurt, though. During the 2018 season, 31 NEMA cars and 48(!) Lite cars ran at least one show. NEMA ran 13 shows and the Lites ran 15 shows. For those who aren't familiar with them, both classes run wings and only pavement tracks.

Finally, there is a USAC-sanctioned group, the DMA Midgets that run without wings, with dozen or so shows at Bear Ridge Speedway in Northern Vermont, with a few shows at a couple of other nearby dirt tracks. I don't get to many, but I've been told the average 12-15 cars. Like the Lites, they run lesser engines. As with similar situation throughout the years I've been following them, I don't believe any of the engine rules are compatible between USAC, Nema, Lites, and DMA, which is sad.

Nema Lites and DMA have the same exact engine rules. D2 engine rules. National cars are too expensive, D2 midgets shouldn't be viewed upon negatively, it's the exact same as a national car, just a different motor platform.

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, Wayne Davis
3/24/19, 10:34 PM   #27
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

I have spoken to Shannon and am working on a 2 2day shows in NE Tn. and Va paying $1200 to win $300 to start...we are D-2 but I have a provision in my rules to allow the "OLDER" nationals engines to race with us...ARDC guys will be welcome to race with us under that plateform...NO new style engines..2011 up

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: davidm, jdull99, Ken Bonnema, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/ARDC is history