IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
oppweld (Offline)
  #61 7/30/21 2:59 PM
Let's not forget the Probation he received for "Avoidable Contact" a punishment that hasn't be dealt out to anyone since.
brettgrace (Offline)
  #62 7/30/21 3:48 PM
Hi folks, I watched the race from sleepy old New Zealand and thought I'd throw 2 cents in. The incident that happened wasn't an isolated incident in fact the same exact thing happened between Windom and JG just a couple months ago at Terre Haute and the reaction was far different than what I saw on flo. Different drivers and not sprint week yes, but same or similar circumstances. A huge part of why I and a lot of other fans here tune in and watch is for the intensity borne out competing for USAC wins in any division, it's a large part of what makes winning even one so special. Whatever happens in future I hope that the status quo remains in terms of letting the drivers show their emotion after a win or a disappointment as it incites passion. Fans included. Already excited for Bloomington tonight hope it's another classic.
8 Likes: BrentTFunk, cmiracingvids, Gene Franckowiak, i love dirt track racing, oppweld, sc17x, spicoli, sw1911
kinser (Offline)
  #63 7/30/21 4:27 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
This has been one of the most interesting discussions since I've been following IOW
Most people here have been following sprint cars longer than me (11 years) & I've always wondered about "racing etiquette". Seems like the guys who win a lot are often pretty aggressive, kinda like "playing chicken", both guys want the same line & the aggressive guy takes it...
Can't read their minds, can't tell if they're intentionally trying to wreck somebody, but if somebody swings into another guy's line, that would be a "foul".... what to do about it?
Beats me
There was a time if there was contact between 2 drivers the driver that made the contact’s face usually got contacted by the other drivers fist. That stopped a lot of the BS and rough driving. Nowadays a lot of these younger guys have unlimited equipment and money at their disposal so if they crash they just pull out a back-up car. There are several guys racing now that should be wearing black eyes frequently.
4 Likes: CRA91, RACrappieman, sc17x, TQ29m
kinser (Offline)
  #64 7/30/21 4:33 PM
This says it all
6 Likes: bigrickpa, CRA91, i love dirt track racing, oppweld, sc17x, sw1911
sw1911 (Offline)
  #65 7/30/21 4:34 PM
Can these guys see another car in their "blind spot" as well as they could before full containment, HANS and the billboard on the right side of the car? It seems like they don't have much peripheral vision left.
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #66 7/31/21 1:08 AM
Originally Posted by sw1911:
Can these guys see another car in their "blind spot" as well as they could before full containment, HANS and the billboard on the right side of the car? It seems like they don't have much peripheral vision left.
I can't speak for any of these drivers, but personally I'd say my helmet is more of a problem for my peripheral vision compared to the body on my car.

Although I'm only a mini sprint running a midget chassis, I have a Maxim arm guard on and decent sized side visor. I don't notice much of a difference compared to when the right side was a lot more open. Except it blocks a lot more dirt hitting you, the sun and the bright track lights, having it more closed off. Also most containment seats the helmet visor is usually above the right side head rest.

Corky
3 Likes: fish, luckybuc97, sw1911
PAW (Offline)
  #67 7/31/21 9:40 AM
Originally Posted by captrat:
When was the last time someone was set down for "rough driving"? Hit them in the pocketbook, points, etc.
That's not going to happen with some of your top you USAC drivers cause them and the USAC officials are all buddy buddies!

:99:: Wings Don't Move Air THEY SUCK
3 Likes: 2rock21, PIT CART, Speedwrench