IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bryan Clauson holds off T-Mez in "2nd Annual
12/18/11, 3:12 PM   #1
Bryan Clauson holds off T-Mez in "2nd Annual
gateway

Du Quoin, Ill. — The start of the indoor season of midget racing couldn't have had a more exciting finish as the 2nd Annual Battle at the Center took place on Saturday night in DuQuoin, Ill. The POWRI sanctioned event saw 51 cars unload for a stout purse and the action was intense for an excellent crowd at the Southern Illinois Center.

Bryan Clauson and Thomas Meseraull swapped the lead multiple times over the final 10 laps in a wheel-to-wheel battle to the checkered flag as Clauson was able to narrowly capture the victory as Meseraull gave chase across the finish line. Chett Gehrke, Defending champion Casey Shuman and Brad Kuhn rounded out the top-five finishers.
Afterwards, the Noblesville, Ind. driver and 2011 National USAC Driver of the Year, was excited about the the victory and the battle with Meseraull to the finish.

"We were able to race wheel without an incident and that was phenomenal. We fell back to third, but we were able to find a passing lane over there in one and two. . .I can't say enough about these guys behind me," Clauson said regarding his team members. "They did a phenomenal job with the track, I don't think I've seen this place that racy in a long time."

Meseraull, though disappointed in finishing one spot short of his goal, was equally excited about the battle for the top spot.
"Once it built a cushion and you can start hauling it up top. Me and Bryan slide jobbing like that, you'd have thought we were at Little Belleville with some banging you know. What a show. POWRi does a great job," the San Jose, Ca. pilot remarked on the front stretch following the finish.

The outcome was in doubt until the final lap in the event as Clauson led much of the early stages of the race as the 1/6 mile track began to widen out for the competitors. Meseraull, running second ahead of Austin Brown, Gehrke, Cameron Hagen and Tony Roney, had slipped back a bit as the caution flew for Hagen, who had banged the wall in turn two.

A promising run for Hagen was derailed with a flat right rear tire caused by the contact.

On the re-start, Meseraull made his bid for the lead in the AJ Felker-owned machine. He threw a solid slider at Clauson in turn one that nearly stuck and followed with several more over the next couple of laps looking to take over the point. Meseraull got the final one to stick as Clauson nearly spun off of turn one and dropped back to third briefly.
The NOS Energy Drink, Curb Records No. 39 wasn't going to stay there for long as he ratcheted up the attack and slipped back past Brown and on Meseraull's tail tank for second before Brad Loyet brought out a red flag when his Vacuworx Intl., Loyet Landscaping, Butlerbuilt Seats, Esslinger, Spike No. 05 got on its side off turn four.

With 10 laps remaining, Clauson made his final push as he and Brown fought for second, wheel-to-wheel ahead of Gehrke as Shuman and Kuhn tried to make up ground.

The final few laps was another war as Meseraull and Clauson battled for the top spot before Clauson was able to make a pass stick and hold on for the final few laps to record the $5,000 payday.

"It feels really good to fall behind and then rally back," Clauson said. "This place has kind of had my number. This is a place that I haven't really run well at in the last few years. To come here and run as strong as we did is a really great boost heading into the indoor season with the Chili Bowl and I'm actually going to New Zealand too. Kind of a great kick-off to the second part of my season. Those guys gave me a great NOS Energy Drink, Curb Records No. 39. It was just a matter of figuring it out. We kind of gave it away there earlier, we were fighting a little bit of a miss. We kind of cleared it up there towards the end of the race. I was able to figure out some things in turns one and two that I wanted to be able to make some passes."

"We had a great car. (AJ) Felker builds great cars. This car right here actually for the Chili Bowl. This car could win the Chili Bowl. We showed it tonight," Meseraull said. "Felker builds some of the best race cars in the business and he is one of the best for obvious reasons. I'd like to think I put on a good show out there. I was running second and I didn't have nothing, but I wanted to win so I started throwing sliders and putting on a show for you guys," Meseraull said. "This place can be kind of boring, but that couldn't have been boring!"

Meseraull started on the pole alongside Tyler Courtney followed by Olney, Ill. native Levi Jones and Clauson.

Clauson led early on in the main event before a pileup in turn three sent brought out a caution.

On a lap 14 re-start a pileup would collect Jones, Courtney and Loyet along with Brett Anderson to shuffle the top-five for the re-start.
When the feature went green again the dual between Clauson and T-Mez took shape for the remaining 20 laps of the 40-lap feature.
Ryan Blakeman produced one of the best efforts of the feature, making his way up from the 20th starting position to place 14th after he slipped back late. Shuman started ninth and crossed the line in fourth and Tim Siner came forward from a 19th starting spot to place 10th.

2nd Annual Battle at the Center

1. Bryan Clauson, 2. Thomas Meseraull, 3. Chett Gehrke, 4. Casey Shuman, 5. Brad Kuhn, 6. Danny Stratton, 7. Brett Anderson, 8. Shane Cockrum, 9. Mike Goodman, 10. Tim Siner, 11. Tony Roney, 12. Austin Brown, 13. David Gough, 14. Ryan Blakeman, 15. Zach Daum, 16. Kyle Neal, 17. Donald McIntosh, 18. Brad Loyet, 19. Levi Jones, 20. Tyler Courtney, 21. Cameron Hagen

12/19/11, 2:00 PM   #2
Re: Bryan Clauson holds off T-Mez in "2nd Annual
Revolution Racing

2nd Annual Battle at the Center

1. Bryan Clauson, 2. Thomas Meseraull, 3. Chett Gehrke, 4. Casey Shuman, 5. Brad Kuhn, 6. Danny Stratton, 7. Brett Anderson, 8. Shane Cockrum, 9. Mike Goodman, 10. Tim Siner, 11. Tony Roney, 12. Austin Brown, 13. David Gough, 14. Ryan Blakeman, 15. Zach Daum, 16. Kyle Neal, 17. Donald McIntosh, 18. Brad Loyet, 19. Levi Jones, 20. Tyler Courtney, 21. Cameron Hagen[/QUOTE]

BIG shout out to my bud Chett Gherke. It's nice reading about all the big name guys and their big name engines and trick chassis but to me, the story here is good 'ol blue collar Chett. He's driving a bent up old BEAST that he's had forever (he won a Focus Championship with it in Indiana about 9 years ago), and he's running one of the first RRE ECOtec motors - also now several years old. That motor has never been worked on, never even 'tuned up'. Cost him 10k and he hasn't spent a cent on it since. I know I'm partial, but I just can't understand why this isn't a bigger story.

Chett had the only RRE ECOtec in the fight and he ran third with it.

12/19/11, 7:54 PM   #3
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution Racing View Post
BIG shout out to my bud Chett Gherke. It's nice reading about all the big name guys and their big name engines and trick chassis but to me, the story here is good 'ol blue collar Chett. He's driving a bent up old BEAST that he's had forever (he won a Focus Championship with it in Indiana about 9 years ago), and he's running one of the first RRE ECOtec motors - also now several years old. That motor has never been worked on, never even 'tuned up'. Cost him 10k and he hasn't spent a cent on it since. I know I'm partial, but I just can't understand why this isn't a bigger story.

Chett had the only RRE ECOtec in the fight and he ran third with it.
No disagreements from me with your post. I usually give a shout out when Chett has a good run,because I know its not in the latest top notch stuff that others he is competing against has.

I call him "The one man driving machine" and that goes back to his Focus days when usually he was the only one working on his car at the shop and at the track,plus driving the truck and trailer,and trying to keep that all going as well. Usually all by himself back then.

Chett had (I think he still has) a 3 legged dog,and I used to kid him about being a starving driver that ate one of the dogs legs to survive. He did tell me one time he ate a lot of frozen burrito's because they were cheap and easy to warm up and eat.

I was surprised the other night when I asked him who's car he was driving and he told me it was his Focus midget. The number on it now is 9,and I meant to kid him about getting a drive with the "9 team"! Its not the first time I have seen him pull a rabbit out of the hat with this car though. He almost WON the Tuesday night qualifier at the Chili Bowl after starting 16th just a few years ago! He had the lead at one point,and either finished 2nd or 3rd. I asked him after the race in the pits what he was running for a motor,and he said the Focus engine,you want me to start it for you??? Incredible......

I know and like all of the top 3 drivers. To me Bryan Clauson is the methodical driver that will throw sliders if he has to. Very rarely makes a mistake. T-Mez is always exciting. Seen him come from 18th to the lead at Spoon River one night in about 5 laps.Another night at Little Belleville I saw him win with the right rear packed with mud from hitting the cushion in the opening laps. Chett though has to drive conservatively not to smash the car up,and bring it home for a few $$ in his pocket so he can race the next night.I heard him say earlier this season,that the guys in front of him were sliding each other,but he cant afford to race like that.

If you want an underdog to cheer for,then Chett is your man!
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 12/19/11 at 7:55 PM.

12/21/11, 3:28 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
No disagreements from me with your post. I usually give a shout out when Chett has a good run,because I know its not in the latest top notch stuff that others he is competing against has.

I call him "The one man driving machine" and that goes back to his Focus days when usually he was the only one working on his car at the shop and at the track,plus driving the truck and trailer,and trying to keep that all going as well. Usually all by himself back then.

Chett had (I think he still has) a 3 legged dog,and I used to kid him about being a starving driver that ate one of the dogs legs to survive. He did tell me one time he ate a lot of frozen burrito's because they were cheap and easy to warm up and eat.

I was surprised the other night when I asked him who's car he was driving and he told me it was his Focus midget. The number on it now is 9,and I meant to kid him about getting a drive with the "9 team"! Its not the first time I have seen him pull a rabbit out of the hat with this car though. He almost WON the Tuesday night qualifier at the Chili Bowl after starting 16th just a few years ago! He had the lead at one point,and either finished 2nd or 3rd. I asked him after the race in the pits what he was running for a motor,and he said the Focus engine,you want me to start it for you??? Incredible......

I know and like all of the top 3 drivers. To me Bryan Clauson is the methodical driver that will throw sliders if he has to. Very rarely makes a mistake. T-Mez is always exciting. Seen him come from 18th to the lead at Spoon River one night in about 5 laps.Another night at Little Belleville I saw him win with the right rear packed with mud from hitting the cushion in the opening laps. Chett though has to drive conservatively not to smash the car up,and bring it home for a few $$ in his pocket so he can race the next night.I heard him say earlier this season,that the guys in front of him were sliding each other,but he cant afford to race like that.

If you want an underdog to cheer for,then Chett is your man!
Wasn't there another Gherke that ran USAC several years ago? I believe his name was Mark and he lived in Florida.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/21/11, 5:31 PM   #5
Andrew S. Quinn

Yeah there was another Gehrke years ago. I remember reading about him in Open Wheel with a Toyota powered midget way before Toyota got in the midget game.

12/21/11, 6:27 PM   #6
treecitytornado

Yes, this was Mark Gerke, from Panama City Florida. I just watched the youtube video of him flipping over the wall at Winchester. He was also in that bad Midget crash at Springfield with Drinan.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/21/11, 7:40 PM   #7
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Yes, this was Mark Gerke, from Panama City Florida. I just watched the youtube video of him flipping over the wall at Winchester. He was also in that bad Midget crash at Springfield with Drinan.

Posted via Mobile Device
That's the guy I had in mind, and I remember the Winchester incident.

12/21/11, 10:19 PM   #8
ISF

There also was a kid from Central Illinois who drove ARCA stock cars back in the late 80's-early 90's who was killed at Talladega in May of 1991 by the name of Chris Gehrke. He was 25 years old. Not positive but I think a dirt late model driver who was trying his hand at superspeedway racing was in on that fatal crash.

I wondered if there was any connection but obviously the last name is spelled differently.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bryan Clauson holds off T-Mez in "2nd Annual