IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Slider20 (Offline)
  #11 6/5/15 7:13 PM
Was Bob Miller promoting this one too😁😁😁
7 Likes: davidm, jim goerge, Mattvp52, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, ronmil, Rpracing1
Dirtfan (Offline)
  #12 6/5/15 8:26 PM
People were talking about handicapping the 11P,Mother Nature took care of it.

Dan Hetser

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, dshort36, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, ronmil, wildman92
ronmil (Offline)
  #13 6/5/15 9:47 PM
Jim and I had just arrived, first encountering sprinkles just as we were ready to turn on Fairfax. The sprinkles increased just as I was parking the car, but it didn't appear a cancellation was imminent, but we were wrong. I will think long and hard before making the 253 mile round trip again, if there is the least doubt about the weather. I don't how much rain the track received after we left, but we drove out of it shortly after getting on 37. Could it be the promoter feared a small spectator turnout due to the clouds in the area, and pulled the plug quickly to cut his losses? I'm not saying he did, but it did enter my mind that could be the case. With at least four hours of daylight left, it looks like the track could have been run in and the program held. I seldom make a negative comment on this board and have been attending Bloomington Speedway on most Friday nights since the mid eighties, but this episode left a bad taste in my mouth

Ron Miller
8 Likes: Charles Nungester, DirtHawk92, dkdorkboy, FishBurger, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, Rpracing1, sprinter6p
Al Pierce (Online)
  #14 6/5/15 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
Jim and I had just arrived, first encountering sprinkles just as we were ready to turn on Fairfax. The sprinkles increased just as I was parking the car, but it didn't appear a cancellation was imminent, but we were wrong. I will think long and hard before making the 253 mile round trip again, if there is the least doubt about the weather. I don't how much rain the track received after we left, but we drove out of it shortly after getting on 37. Could it be the promoter feared a small spectator turnout due to the clouds in the area, and pulled the plug quickly to cut his losses? I'm not saying he did, but it did enter my mind that could be the case. With at least four hours of daylight left, it looks like the track could have been run in and the program held. I seldom make a negative comment on this board and have been attending Bloomington Speedway on most Friday nights since the mid eighties, but this episode left a bad taste in my mouth
I have to agree with you Ron. Been a regular customer for the last 15 years and many times in the past when there were light sprinkles or even periods of rain they ironed out the track and finished the program. This was an obvious bail out. It's a 3 hour round trip for me and I don't relish making future trips in less than ideal conditions if these operators are going to give in so easily.
7 Likes: Charles Nungester, FishBurger, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, ronmil, Rpracing1, sprinter6p
triplexxx (Offline)
  #15 6/6/15 6:02 AM
The track was fine.These promotors need to take the bad from the good.He knew he was going to be a little short on cars so he pulled the plug when it rained for a whole five min.I lost alot of respect for Danny tonight.We support them every week.Next time cancell at noon and save me a trip.It's 4 hr round trip for me.
Brian
3 Likes: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, ronmil
smith19 (Offline)
  #16 6/6/15 8:19 AM
can see everyone's point...

CHRIS SMITH
chastaj (Offline)
  #17 6/6/15 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by triplexxx:
The track was fine.These promotors need to take the bad from the good.He knew he was going to be a little short on cars so he pulled the plug when it rained for a whole five min.I lost alot of respect for Danny tonight.We support them every week.Next time cancell at noon and save me a trip.It's 4 hr round trip for me.
Brian
Yes, there were not many people in the stands yet, but most were setting in their cars to stay dry till the showers ended. There were a LOT of cars pulling out last night as we left. Yes car count was low in the Mods, Hornets, SS, but there was a nice turn out of both 305 and 410 sprint cars. I did a quick count and there was a full field of 410s even though most had not unloaded yet.
2 Likes: jim goerge, ronmil
KingRandomUser (Offline)
  #18 6/6/15 1:22 PM
Lets not forget too that a bigger group of both fans and drivers of Mods, Stocks, and Hornets tend to show up in the 6-6:30 time-frame. See it every week really and have for years. Stands tend to be relatively empty looking until 15-20 minutes until hot laps when people come down from their cars and the later arrivals pile in. While several of the other non-sprint classes rapidly pile in as well at the pit-gate.

While I'm not a promoter, I really didn't understand the reasoning in pulling the plug that fast. I mean, it was one of those late afternoon pop-ups that tend to happen during these warmer days from late May into September. It only lasted what, 10-20 minutes and not all of it was even heavy either. I live just minutes from the speedway so I know how much it rained, and like many here have seen much worse and still ran. There are 2 divisions of sprint cars and they do have some equipment but I guess it was too much of a pain to bring it out to till up the track or ask the drivers if they wouldn't mind wheel packing and running in the extra moisture. Given the extra-moisture burst from Mother Nature I'm sure they'd be okay with it if it meant they can race. I'm sure the fans and drivers both wouldn't mind starting a little late too if it meant they could race. Being a regular night, which most get over between 10-11pm, a 30-60 minute delay wouldn't of been too bad given it was weather related delay and not dilly-dallying around.

But point remains there was still an hour till hot laps when the rains stopped (and let's not forget, some of this rain would of been the extra water put on between 5-6pm anyways). The sun came out after to help dry things out! Most of the sprints were already in the pits or just arriving, as usual. So during this hour, it wouldn't be unreasonable to get equipment out and/or get cars out there by 6:00-6:10 (since most are ready for engine warming by this time) to work it all in. Heck probably could even squeeze in a few groups of faster-hot lap style runs to blow off the top layer of crap before going into actual hotlaps at 6:40-7:30pm. Heck, coulda probably even had other divisions helping too. Sure their tires are much smaller, but every little bit helps. Can almost consider them similar to a push-truck in terms of efficiency really.

Safe to say most are simply upset from the lack of effort
Also, given that it was so late in the afternoon when it happened most people/drivers were already on their way or there. So it wouldn't of caused the usual "butt-hurt" of last-minute call-offs. When people do get upset is if it rains sometime between 10am-3pm and a decision isn't put out until like 4pm or later when the far-travelers are already on their way. Still, given how late it was, why not at least try? I'd rather see an attempt and fail than no attempt at all. And given how many people use Twitter/Facebook/IOW it wouldn't of been too hard to post a status that the event would be delayed-start to try and work things in and try to get the evening complete. Would it of lost some fans? Maybe a few, but by this time they'd be the ones in and around Bloomington itself. And if they're already paying attention to social media anyways and updates are given accordingly they can easily get there by the time hotlaps are started or complete.

-End Rant-
4 Likes: dshort36, jim goerge, Josh Kinser, ronmil
ronmil (Offline)
  #19 6/6/15 2:00 PM
Originally Posted by chastaj:
Yes, there were not many people in the stands yet, but most were setting in their cars to stay dry till the showers ended. There were a LOT of cars pulling out last night as we left. Yes car count was low in the Mods, Hornets, SS, but there was a nice turn out of both 305 and 410 sprint cars. I did a quick count and there was a full field of 410s even though most had not unloaded yet.
Interesting comment about the car count in the support classes. Looks like the promoter is relying heavily on the back gate in the support classes to cover the purse. I believe the majority of the spectators come to see the 410 sprints, judging from the number of fans who leave after their feature is run. I am not a fan of winged cars, but I was looking forward to seeing Kevin Huntley run in the 305 class. Speaking of classes, Bloomington is now up to five, and that is too many. With all the complaints about noise that have come in over the years, it doesn't seem running five classes is the way to go to get the program over by 11:00PM (local time).
I have yet to see a 305 feature because it seems they are always last in the rotation. If they were moved up in the program, I might stick around to see them.
LPS is a longer drive for me than Bloomington, but I believe it has become my favorite venue. The facility is excellent, with spacious seating in the grandstand (or behind it, if you choose) and they always have a good field of sprint cars, and the program is run off in quick fashion. Bloomington has run a short season the last two years, and after last nights episode, I will be spending more Friday nights at Haub Steak House and fewer at Bloomington Speedway, probably cutting back to only the specials. Hate to see the direction the track has taken the last two years or so, with the truncated season, and too many classes. Hope the promoters don't run this facility into the ground.

Ron Miller
5 Likes: dshort36, jim goerge, Josh Kinser, mowerman, Pat O'Connor Fan
ronmil (Offline)
  #20 6/6/15 2:15 PM
Originally Posted by KingRandomUser:
Lets not forget too that a bigger group of both fans and drivers of Mods, Stocks, and Hornets tend to show up in the 6-6:30 time-frame. See it every week really and have for years. Stands tend to be relatively empty looking until 15-20 minutes until hot laps when people come down from their cars and the later arrivals pile in. While several of the other non-sprint classes rapidly pile in as well at the pit-gate.

While I'm not a promoter, I really didn't understand the reasoning in pulling the plug that fast. I mean, it was one of those late afternoon pop-ups that tend to happen during these warmer days from late May into September. It only lasted what, 10-20 minutes and not all of it was even heavy either. I live just minutes from the speedway so I know how much it rained, and like many here have seen much worse and still ran. There are 2 divisions of sprint cars and they do have some equipment but I guess it was too much of a pain to bring it out to till up the track or ask the drivers if they wouldn't mind wheel packing and running in the extra moisture. Given the extra-moisture burst from Mother Nature I'm sure they'd be okay with it if it meant they can race. I'm sure the fans and drivers both wouldn't mind starting a little late too if it meant they could race. Being a regular night, which most get over between 10-11pm, a 30-60 minute delay wouldn't of been too bad given it was weather related delay and not dilly-dallying around.

But point remains there was still an hour till hot laps when the rains stopped (and let's not forget, some of this rain would of been the extra water put on between 5-6pm anyways). The sun came out after to help dry things out! Most of the sprints were already in the pits or just arriving, as usual. So during this hour, it wouldn't be unreasonable to get equipment out and/or get cars out there by 6:00-6:10 (since most are ready for engine warming by this time) to work it all in. Heck probably could even squeeze in a few groups of faster-hot lap style runs to blow off the top layer of crap before going into actual hotlaps at 6:40-7:30pm. Heck, coulda probably even had other divisions helping too. Sure their tires are much smaller, but every little bit helps. Can almost consider them similar to a push-truck in terms of efficiency really.

Safe to say most are simply upset from the lack of effort
Also, given that it was so late in the afternoon when it happened most people/drivers were already on their way or there. So it wouldn't of caused the usual "butt-hurt" of last-minute call-offs. When people do get upset is if it rains sometime between 10am-3pm and a decision isn't put out until like 4pm or later when the far-travelers are already on their way. Still, given how late it was, why not at least try? I'd rather see an attempt and fail than no attempt at all. And given how many people use Twitter/Facebook/IOW it wouldn't of been too hard to post a status that the event would be delayed-start to try and work things in and try to get the evening complete. Would it of lost some fans? Maybe a few, but by this time they'd be the ones in and around Bloomington itself. And if they're already paying attention to social media anyways and updates are given accordingly they can easily get there by the time hotlaps are started or complete.

-End Rant-
Excellent rant! Yours is better than mine!

Ron Miller