IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #1 6/3/15 12:57 PM
Just in case any of you are already out there planning on heading to the track. Someone cancelled it. Don't blame the messenger. But confirmed by several teams already out that way.

Charles Nungester
triplexxx (Offline)
  #2 6/3/15 1:22 PM
This really sucks.
2 Likes: dshort36, jim goerge
billw (Offline)
  #3 6/3/15 1:22 PM
Bob miller promotor of the thunder on the hill racing series pulled the plug...the track and USAC tried to run the show without miller however he had leased the track for the night and would not let USAC run the show themselves
WinglessLovers (Offline)
  #4 6/3/15 3:48 PM
A lease is a signed contract and you just can't take it away and run it yourself. Last year Miller and his partner took a lot of heat and abuse for attempting to run the program and having the feature rained out so you can't blame him for not wanting to put them through that again. Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Miller puts a lot of work into his promotion and he is the one who has to pay the bills whether or not they are able to run the program or not so even if the fan wants to see this race he is taking all the risks and we should thank him for trying to bring USAC back to the East and not condemn him for making a business decision.
cshuman (Offline)
  #5 6/3/15 4:03 PM
What about the teams that spent a lot of money to be here, and some took off work to come put on this show, and we get to the track, which was perfectly fine for racing, zero rain had fallen, and 20% chance of rain at the highest all day? How about fans that drove from out of town, took time off work, paid for hotels? All for a guy to pull the plug for what reason?? I understand there are risks in promoting races, ones he is completely aware of when he signed a contract to put this show on. My opinion doesn't mean much, but I think the teams and fans were screwed today by Bob Miller.
50 Likes: 3J, bighd0522, bmemmer, bus man, CCI, Charles Nungester, Claybird33, Clydesdale, davidm, dirt330, dirtcarfan, Dirtfan, dirtnonwingfan, dshort36, duel, EPSpeed, FishBurger, i love dirt track racing, IndyBound, jballou12, jim goerge, JordanBlanton, Jrp4554, jsfan, jyoung8j, Kansasdirtfan, kart31rac, LB, Mattvp52, MEAT, Mofiaboss, mpvintage54, NEMA88, Nut'n but Dirt, oldfan49, PAW, PJ Wright, racen857, racer58, robert gatten, sc17x, Scooter, scottyCbus, SpfldMile, TQ97, turn4, Ty, VSneader2, Wayne Davis, wcbrock02
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #6 6/3/15 4:08 PM
Originally Posted by WinglessLovers:
A lease is a signed contract and you just can't take it away and run it yourself. Last year Miller and his partner took a lot of heat and abuse for attempting to run the program and having the feature rained out so you can't blame him for not wanting to put them through that again. Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Miller puts a lot of work into his promotion and he is the one who has to pay the bills whether or not they are able to run the program or not so even if the fan wants to see this race he is taking all the risks and we should thank him for trying to bring USAC back to the East and not condemn him for making a business decision.
Took heat for trying to run a show with a bad forecast? No, if I remember, he took heat because the show wasn't as crisply run as it should have been with a bad forecast around. Then he kept the front and back gate money last year with the promise to run double features this year, and he cancels 6 hours early because of a bad forecast (which isn't really a bad forecast).
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, dirtnonwingfan, IndyBound, Mofiaboss, wcbrock02
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #7 6/3/15 4:09 PM
Originally Posted by cshuman:
What about the teams that spent a lot of money to be here, and some took off work to come put on this show, and we get to the track, which was perfectly fine for racing, zero rain had fallen, and 20% chance of rain at the highest all day? How about fans that drove from out of town, took time off work, paid for hotels? All for a guy to pull the plug for what reason?? I understand there are risks in promoting races, ones he is completely aware of when he signed a contract to put this show on. My opinion doesn't mean much, but I think the teams and fans were screwed today by Bob Miller.
I think that is the universal opinion if you read Twitter and the message boards. I wish someone had the power to undo it.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, davidm, IndyBound
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #8 6/3/15 4:42 PM
It sounds like USAC should reconsider allowing this guy to host a race with their organization in the future.
12 Likes: billw, davidm, dirt330, duel, IndyBound, jim goerge, Mofiaboss, robert gatten, ronmil, turn4, VSneader2, wcbrock02
grumpy racer (Offline)
  #9 6/3/15 5:33 PM
I don't think this will be a problem sence they put Millers phone number out there for everyone to call on one Twitter post. He wouldn't even consider doing anything to reschedule so we could try to recover all the money teams and fans are loosing.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, jsfan
wcbrock02 (Offline)
  #10 6/3/15 6:34 PM
The more I think about..... My guess is Bob Miller spent the money from last years race and didn't have the money to pay both features so instead of manning up he took the easy way out and cancelled because of 20% rain.
9 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, duel, jim goerge, kart31rac, Mattvp52, Mofiaboss, racen857, SpfldMile