IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 64th FINAL Hoosier 100 USAC Champ Cars &Mods @Indy Mile 5/23
5/23/19, 11:47 PM   #51
Re: 64th FINAL Hoosier 100 USAC Champ Cars &Mods @Indy Mile
Jerry Shaw

That was a real good race. Coming down the stretch, there was just no match for Tyler Courtney and he won this one convincingly. But, along the way there were a few other racers that really put on a show, too. Namely, Shane Cottle in the first half of the race. He was on the move and making impressive passes on his way through the field. After he had problems, attention went to Jason McDougal who was tearing through the field, from his 25th starting spot! The way he was aggressively flying into turn 1 and making passes on the outside was just the kind of stuff that makes open wheel dirt track racing addictive to so many people. A similar move would be used by Courtney late in the race, to take the lead away from KT Jr. There was enough great racing in this one, that I think they sent this iconic racing even out nicely. They did it justice.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 5/24/19 at 12:05 AM.

5 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, dirt330, Hammer, Jbaldwin, SpfldMile
5/24/19, 7:07 AM   #52
ThePurple73

The race last night and the first night race at DuQuoin had to be my all time favorite champ car races.

Just an overall great race, couldn't have been better as a fan.

Is the track to become a harness racing track full time or just for the fair? Is there a possibility the harness racing won't pan out and return the track to auto racing?

It is a shame as we saw last night how great an event the Hoosier 100 is.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 5/24/19 at 7:36 AM.

2 members like this post: Hammer, miledirt
5/24/19, 7:52 AM   #53
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple73 View Post
The race last night and the first night race at DuQuoin had to be my all time favorite champ car races.

Just an overall great race, couldn't have been better as a fan.

Is the track to become a harness racing track full time or just for the fair? Is there a possibility the harness racing won't pan out and return the track to auto racing?

It is a shame as we saw last night how great an event the Hoosier 100 is.
The word is they're putting an "all-weather" surface down for year-round harness training, which would effectively render it unusable for cars or bikes.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: ThePurple73
5/24/19, 10:06 AM   #54
SpfldMile

This was my first trip to the Indy mile, and I really hope not the last. It was a beautiful night, a great race, and a packed grandstand. As mentioned before, Cottle was having a real nice race, and MacDougal was fun to watch. Brady Bacon also put on a clinic. I believe he restarted in the back after the Windom wreck. Let me say, I hope Chris is feeling okay. That was was a horrific wreck, and you could hear the gasp of the crowd over the engines. I really enjoyed the race, I’m glad I went. I’ll always be partial to Springfield, but I’m admittedly biased. The 3 miles all have their own personalities, let’s hope we can enjoy all 3 for years to come.

2 members like this post: Jbaldwin, ThePurple73
5/24/19, 12:24 PM   #55
ISF

It was a beautiful evening to enjoy those gorgeous Silver Crown cars. The race itself was well above average. As has been indicated earlier in this thread the race for the win wasn't all that spectacular but from 2nd on back through the field the race was periodically spectacular. By far the most important thing is the two horrific crashes did not, thank God, result in any serious or life threatening injuries.

With the 2019 Hoosier Hundred being the last auto racing at the fairgrounds constructive criticism is for the most part a moot point to race fans at this juncture. However, the concessions services were woefully inept and inadequate. The food began running out before the 100 miler even began and the lines were huge from the get-go.

It causes a bit of heartache for those of us that dearly love the big cars on the big tracks to see the demise of yet another of the 1 mile dirt tracks bring us another step closer to the ultimate extinction of that specific race track breed. I reckon nothing stays the same and we must accept that fact of life but it doesn't lessen the sadness.

RIP Indy Mile. All that is left going forward is the many memories you provided that make us smile.
Last edited by ISF; 5/24/19 at 12:26 PM.

1 member likes this post: Hammer
5/24/19, 1:20 PM   #56
dsc1600

For me it’s a type of racing that is past its time. It’s a nostalgia trip for sure and a cool spectacle but give me sprints and midgets on a 1/2 mile or less any day.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 64th FINAL Hoosier 100 USAC Champ Cars &Mods @Indy Mile 5/23