IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #11 8/5/14 8:56 AM
Johnny Johnson retired a couple years ago at 81
Mel Kenyon at 76
I think Bob Kinser retired racing about 62, may have been 66 but was still winning occasionally.

Chuck, still waiting for Gordie Howe to suit up and play in 8 decades of professional hockey. Yes, he played a shift on a IHL team back in the 00s-10s first pro season was '44

Ok, back on topic. Mario Andretti is 73-74 and still starts the two seater at Indy events

Charles Nungester
Gregg (Offline)
  #12 8/5/14 9:02 AM
Haven't heard much from him this year buy Hurryin' Hank Lower was still racing, and winning, in his early 70s.
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, fish, PIT CART, sc17x
racerjim2 (Offline)
  #13 8/5/14 10:03 AM
Tubby Black out in Missouri was pretty old and we had a guy named Roy "Pappy" Singleton who raced at Chillicothe, Ohio and other southern Ohio tracks years ago who raced in his 70's.
darnall (Offline)
  #14 8/5/14 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by racerjim2:
Tubby Black out in Missouri was pretty old and we had a guy named Roy "Pappy" Singleton who raced at Chillicothe, Ohio and other southern Ohio tracks years ago who raced in his 70's.
I had the pleasure of being pitted next to Tubby one night at St Francois (Farmington, MO) one night back in 2000-2001... what a neat guy. Classic case of "He's probably forgotten more than I will ever know"... The worst part of the night was when the trailer doors closed and we drove away cause that meant the chatting with him was finished.
darnall (Offline)
  #15 8/5/14 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by oldfan49:
Bob Thoman is still running up front in non wing sprints at I believe 74 yrs old ( he is the one priviously mentioned as racing with WAR)
He sure is still running up front. He won the first or second night of a 2 day season opener with the WAR series in Lebanon, MO last season. I've seen him race probably 15 times and he always seems to find his way into the top 3-5 by the end of the night, and I don't think I have seen him put a single wheel wrong any of those nights.
smith19 (Offline)
  #16 8/5/14 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by racerjim2:
jim, pappy and carl jodrey both were old birds. lol they had some pretty good battles between themselves. thought it was kinda of funny when the track finally told one or both of those guys they had to weld the cage to the frame... cowboy kennedy tops all of the old racers. he is still very competitive in his class. he's had some bad crashes through the years...

CHRIS SMITH
Checker'd Past (Offline)
  #17 8/5/14 12:46 PM
How about Benjamin Franklin Rapp (Benny Rapp)?
2 Likes: Danny Burton, gearguy
mscs20 (Offline)
  #18 8/5/14 1:21 PM
Al Thomas #72 ran 12th Friday night at Farmer City Raceway. He will be 80 in 2 weeks.
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, Jack Dupp, jim goerge, racerjim2, skids59, sprintsrule, Steve Wendel
PIT CART (Offline)
  #19 8/5/14 2:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gregg:
Haven't heard much from him this year buy Hurryin' Hank Lower was still racing, and winning, in his early 70s.
He officially retired this winter. He still goes to alot of races to watch and always has that Hank smile. In fact he was at Gas City for sprint week.
2 Likes: fish, Gregg
mlamb (Offline)
  #20 8/5/14 3:04 PM
Johnny Johnson told me he won the last race at the Bloomington half mile! Yes half mile. That's way before my time! Surely someone remembers what year that would've been?