IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anyone ever wrap a tail tank?
1/8/15, 1:19 AM   #11
Mattmac05

If you are just planning on doing a solid color with no design or lettering printed on it, them I would recommend ordering the vinyl yourself (you won't be hit with graphic company mark ups), 3m 1080 scotchprint is good, and then use the 3m website to find certifide installer.

1/8/15, 2:28 AM   #12
Re: Anyone ever wrap a tail tank?
zerospeed

Yeah I was just looking at a solid color instead of painting, that's it.

1/8/15, 12:09 PM   #13
DAD

My idea was to get somebody to make a mold off of a finished tank. Make it single layer carbon fiber or Kevlar and color to suit in the mold, Anything is better than working with them plastic tanks.

Another Idea would be take a hint from the RC Car racers and have someone make a vacuum formed Lexan cover for the tank and then apply all the numbers and color to the inside, sure would be easy to keep up. This would be a neat option from the tank manufactures.

As far a wrapping a tail, when we once raced under the number "96" I can tell you from experience just wrapping a 14" 96 on a tail was a pain.

Honest Dad himself

1/8/15, 6:25 PM   #14
TQ29m

My wife just got a new sewing machine,and the first thing she wants to sew up, is a fabric wrap for my tank, she has a room full of scraps, so all I'll be out is a zipper, I think it is a hell of an idee! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/8/15, 8:31 PM   #15
DAD

Bob

I would recommend "Spandex" as the cloth of choice. I got some Spandex britches and they seem to cover ever little bump and curve on my beautiful body.

They invented "wash and wear" clothes a few years ago now you are going to invent "wash and race" tail tank covers. Better head on over to the patent office.

Honest Dad himself

1/8/15, 10:00 PM   #16
TQ29m

I'm afraid spandex would balloon and get wrapped up in the rear wheels or axle, or blow plumb off, and get stuck on some ones helmet, if she made it like a speedo, well you know what that could turn into! Bob

1/9/15, 9:37 PM   #17
lazyifoto

You better watch using spandex.... There was a fat girl jogging on our street and she caught fire from her spandex covered thighs rubbing together..... Spandex may be flammable .....

2 members like this post: DAD, mc/rider
1/10/15, 12:06 PM   #18
DAD

Lazy

Oh Well back to the drawing board. Tail tanks have so many compound curves in them I would bet the task of wrapping the hole thing would be almost impossible. Besides the finish of the bare tank does not lend itself to adhesion of the the vinyl.

I have been told it is possible to order the tank in other colors besides the "Model T Black" the trick would be planing far enough ahead for a special order and finding someone that will take your order.

Honest Dad himself

1/10/15, 2:44 PM   #19
TQ29m

I had my current tank painted in 1996, when I built my first new car, and it has held up well, yeh, it's a 10 footer, but I found some 3M vinyl tape at a hardware store that keeps the cracks and scuffs looking pretty good, I learned a long time ago a pretty race car is only pretty before you put it on the track, then anything can happen. If I were to do it again, which ain't likely, I'd probably pick out a color in latex, scuff it up good, and roll it on! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/10/15, 3:53 PM   #20
DAD

Bob

They all look good when racing up front. I personally find that standard gel-coat and black polypropylene plastic work good together. Something I learned off of Henry Ford. Duct tape make great numbers as long as you stay with simple block designs. I use shoe polish to doctor up scars and find that WD-40 makes a great looking polish and mud guard combination. WD-40 also keep my unpainted frame looking right out of the Jig new. We buy it in 5 gallon buckets because it is so much cheaper.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/10/15 at 3:55 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anyone ever wrap a tail tank?