IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank
12/31/12, 12:01 AM   #41
lilrim

Add one more squared tank to the chili bowl line up!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

12/31/12, 12:08 AM   #42
Todd Kimmel

It was more or less a question Don. Im still just really confused as to why its a big deal?

Posted via Mobile Device

12/31/12, 12:13 AM   #43
Re: Midget Square Tail Tank
DonMoore10

At this point in the thread, I have read so many wild and crazy comments, many of them by anonymous authors with hateful statements that I'm not sure where to begin. I'm going to speak for myself and no one else that I have been working behind the scenes for quite some time with the promoter shoring up some of the gray area rules and their enforcement. Tony Barhorst is a terrific promoter and a good friend of mine and we should be thankful that there is a place to run the type of cars that show up at Fort Wayne and I own one of them. Let me say that I sincerely believe that he is interested in enforcing rules for everyone but the bottom line is that he has the right to run his event as he sees fit. We as car owners must chose whether or not we want to participate at his promotion.

For those that have posted all kinds of fantasy statements etc etc.. Well I didn't see you anywhere near my pit when a discussion was taking place about tail tanks, so please stop posting quotes and scenarios that never happened.

For the record, I could care very little about who, what and where about a square tail tank. Now, when I arrived on Thursday at Fort Wayne, there was already a discussion brewing amongst several concerned people about the tank and that was whether it was legal or not. I mostly watched what was taking place. I had no discussion with anyone about any tail tank except one member of my pit crew who informed me what was going. Allegedly the owner of the car was saying the tank was USAC legal and apparently that was the final decision as the tail tank stayed on the car. I had nothing top do with any of this.

I have a huge and costly investment in the racing business. When I pay an entry fee and pit passes, and that amounts to paying to entertain the promoter's audience, I expect the rules to be enforced. Let me say again, I expect the rules to be enforced. If they aren't, then throw the rule book out and let's just have a free for all and call it that.

The second point I want to make is that there is a bigger issue here and that is the cost of new midget parts that a few can afford and drive up the expense of owning a midget. Despite what some of you people sitting in the stands think, midget racing is on the ropes except the POWRi promotions and ARDC on the east coast. WE don't need one more part added to what we already have as an expense. This same scenario has been played out time and time again with money, greed, ******** etc driving the costs higher and higher to operate a team.

4 members like this post: badgerfan, jdull99, luckybuc97, team3521
12/31/12, 12:14 AM   #44
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrim View Post
Add one more squared tank to the chili bowl line up!!!

Posted via Mobile Device
SO! Great minds think alike. Think about it. All that weight swinging around 2 feet behind the rear axle, I think they call it "instant moment center" or something like that. When you sling a car in the turn that 50 or 60 pounds of fuel develops a centrifugal force and being leveraged way behind the rear axle tends to pull the back of the car out of line.

Honest Dad himself

12/31/12, 12:15 AM   #45
Buster51

Was at that race at speedrome first race for the munchin ,thought dam that's ugly but it was fast. Been a fan of Mike ever since.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/31/12, 12:22 AM   #46
steve004

If only that last post was your initial post! Holy mackerel, DonMoore finally has a post that I can't argue with. It's a Christmas Miracle!
-Steve C.
Last edited by steve004; 12/31/12 at 12:25 AM.

12/31/12, 12:22 AM   #47
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
At this point in the thread, I have read so many wild and crazy comments, many of them by anonymous authors with hateful statements that I'm not sure where to begin. I'm going to speak for myself and no one else that I have been working behind the scenes for quite some time with the promoter shoring up some of the gray area rules and their enforcement. Tony Barhorst is a terrific promoter and a good friend of mine and we should be thankful that there is a place to run the type of cars that show up at Fort Wayne and I own one of them. Let me say that I sincerely believe that he is interested in enforcing rules for everyone but the bottom line is that he has the right to run his event as he sees fit. We as car owners must chose whether or not we want to participate at his promotion.

For those that have posted all kinds of fantasy statements etc etc.. Well I didn't see you anywhere near my pit when a discussion was taking place about tail tanks, so please stop posting quotes and scenarios that never happened.

For the record, I could care very little about who, what and where about a square tail tank. Now, when I arrived on Thursday at Fort Wayne, there was already a discussion brewing amongst several concerned people about the tank and that was whether it was legal or not. I mostly watched what was taking place. I had no discussion with anyone about any tail tank except one member of my pit crew who informed me what was going. Allegedly the owner of the car was saying the tank was USAC legal and apparently that was the final decision as the tail tank stayed on the car. I had nothing top do with any of this.

I have a huge and costly investment in the racing business. When I pay an entry fee and pit passes, and that amounts to paying to entertain the promoter's audience, I expect the rules to be enforced. Let me say again, I expect the rules to be enforced. If they aren't, then throw the rule book out and let's just have a free for all and call it that.

The second point I want to make is that there is a bigger issue here and that is the cost of new midget parts that a few can afford and drive up the expense of owning a midget. Despite what some of you people sitting in the stands think, midget racing is on the ropes except the POWRi promotions and ARDC on the east coast. WE don't need one more part added to what we already have as an expense. This same scenario has been played out time and time again with money, greed, ******** etc driving the costs higher and higher to operate a team.

The best thing to keep in mind when writing rules for race cars is. "KISS"

When rules start to specify number size, body shape or color contrast or sponsors names or slogans, you might have gone a bit far. Mike did run that little car for years with a square tank and I do think at the last he had to switch to a midget type tank, and then they added another rule or two and pretty soon like most guys that get kicked around he threw his hands up and bid adue to USAC.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: team3521
12/31/12, 12:46 AM   #48
Rpracing1

2 members like this post: Modocer 57, PARKS
12/31/12, 12:56 AM   #49
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
I think they call it "instant moment center"

Honest Dad himself
It's called Polar Moment of Inertia..

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/31/12, 1:06 AM   #50
Tony Barhorst

Here is my take on why the tank was allowed. I had no discussion on the tank being USAC legal. In my opinion, it is not. The bottom line is, I allowed it because I did not feel it gave him any advantage on concrete.

I myself personally love the swooped back traditional tail tank. They make these cars works of art IMO.

Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 12/31/12 at 1:13 AM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank