IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled
9/6/11, 11:23 PM   #31
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
DonMoore10

I've read some very interesting posts on here so far. Please keep in mind that the LaSalle race was a National midget race which, being a reasonable distance of Indiana (plenty of midgets there), St. Louis (plenty of Powri midgets there), and Badgerland (15-20 active cars there ) should have drawn more than 16 cars. It's safe to say that 13 of the cars were well funded teams that participate in most of the national races. So about 3 extras showed up. So the question here is: Why didn't more than about 3 extras show up? There are reasons. On the other hand, why are the mini sprints so popular? Plenty of those cars around and they are a relatively new sport in popularity. Well, the number one reason I have heard over the past few years is COST. And doesn't it make it more inviting if you have a chance to win or at least make enough money to cover the night's expenses?

Here are some suggestions that may get a few more people to get cars out on the track. Keep in mind that there are some sacrifices that will have to be made and that "the way it's always been done" needs to go by the wayside if we want to go in a positive direction.

CHANGE THE PURSE STRUCTURE: I went to the POWRi web site and downloaded the current purse structure and modified it. The total purse currently is $8355. I bumped that up a little to $8400 for my figures.

1. 1100 2. 800 3. 525 4. 450 5. 400 6. 325 7-21. 300

TIRES. Eliminate all tire deals. If there is an American Racer tire (as explained on here by another person) that will last most of the season and still be capable of winning races, adopt that tire as mandatory. Policing this would involve a little tweeking but this is a must. And any other rule that will neutralize the engine power. Reducing the width and size of the rear tires is a possiblity also.

ENGINES. Two years ago we heard of using a $10,000-12,000 engine for USAC national races. I'm sure that this will not go over big with the well funded teams and some drivers but these cheap engines need to be mandated ASAP. Allow the 1000 mini to compete.

WEIGHT RULE. Develop a weight rule that will neutralize driver weight.

VW's. Give these cars with VW's some advantages to get them out on the track again an to be competitive.

SELF STARTERS. There probably is not a promoter in the US that would not welcome this rule. I know many of you will disagree with this but it really needs to happen.

FEATURE STARTING POSITION. Take a close look at the ARDC rules regarding starting positions in the feature. For example, if you won the previous race, your starting position would be no better than say 14th position. This would certainly make it more interesting for the fans and would give a host of drivers a chance to win. It must be working in ARDC, they have tons of cars that show up for every race and they have plenty of different winners. A chance to win for a team that may not always start up front. So, if you finished in the top 5 this week, next week you're going to the middle or near the back for the next race.

WHAT DO WE DO WITH CURRENT ENGINES. ( BTW, I have four of them ) That would be easy. Keep running them but mandating a ton of weight to carry around the track is a possibility. Just one of many possibilities.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 9/6/11 at 11:42 PM.

5 members like this post: DAD, jdull99, jim goerge, R.Drang, team3521
9/6/11, 11:56 PM   #32
gearguy

For the sake of my blood pressure I have been avoiding this topic. I'm drawn into the discussion now for a couple reasons:
1. I have an inflation adjusted chart of midget racing costs covering 1936 thru 2007 [the last time i cared to get involved in this endless debate]. I'll send a copy to anyone who wants to see it.
2. As an IRS carowner I can attest to the low tire bills. I bought $700 worth of tires at the start of the season so we could run our second car. This about matches the tire bill for last season. I don't expect to buy anymore tires this year. Maybe a couple right rears will be needed for next season.

Our primary car won a feature on dirt this season and has been competitive in the usual 17/18 car IRS field. Our payout is completely flat: $100 per car. Other than broken parts I'm out around $100 more per night. This is all the midget racing I can afford.

Chuck Schultz
gearmanx@aol.com

PS: Please don't mention VW and cost saving in the same paragraph. Don't ask me how I know this when my wife is around.

9/7/11, 7:16 AM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Agreed. I can think of 5 of us that drove over 250 miles each to watch the USAC midgets at Lasalle last weekend. And we could have all gone and watched sprintcars instead and saved a bunch in fuel costs.

And I've seen plenty of good non rev limiter midget races this year too. Unlike Chuck I travel plenty and dont sit home and constantly post on every topic.
Who here has seen me at tracks over 100 miles from Cincinnati this year? Please raise your hand?

Im actually laughing my ass off over this idiotic post. Yeah, I work six days a week and still make 40 plus. Glad you can travel all year and see all you want, What do you think im working toward?

I stand behind what I said. Im personally sick of traveling to Midget shows to see less than a feature full compete. If a rev limiter helps a team race a extra 6 races a year, Im all for it. Maybe we'll have full fields again.

Something needs to be done and the first thing is when 80 percent of a organization says their for something. The other 20 percent plus engine builders, tire makers ect laying money on the table shouldn't override the 80 percent.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/7/11 at 7:36 AM.

9/7/11, 8:28 AM   #34
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Saw this. At least there is some good news for midgets.

http://www.speedrome.com/2011/Press%...t%20Series.pdf

9/7/11, 8:30 AM   #35
bullring

Very interesting topic guys. I too was disappointed after driving to Lasalle and only seeing 16 midgets. 2 heats and a feature of midget racing left me wanting more.

I believe midget racing can be saved but it would take somebody with some money and power to get it done. Unfortunately the people with the money and power in midget racing don't think there is a problem!

5 members like this post: gearguy, jdull99, jim goerge, mowerman, Mud Packer
9/7/11, 10:25 AM   #36
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullring View Post
Unfortunately the people with the money and power in midget racing don't think there is a problem!
That statement says it all. Here is the carnage that midget racing has suffered in the past few years:

Michigan WOMMS Series GONE
All the Michigan midget orgs GONE
AMRA Arizona midgets GONE
SMRS GONE SOWS/Brewer substitute series 2011
Angell Park weekly midget racing GONE
John Gurley Midget Series GONE
D1 midget races Monpelier, IN 2 remaining races cancelled
Terre Haute Hut Hundred original location GONE
16th Street Speedway GONE
Buckeye (Ohio) Midget Series GONE
RCA Dome Midgets GONE

2 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge
9/7/11, 11:49 AM   #37
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Midget racing died in New England because of rising costs and the popularity of stock cars. That was the early 1950's. It seems that nobody gets the clue and the slippery slope is repeating itself. It's the job of the sanctioning body to independently determine what's best for their series. Should anyone take an owner seriously when he complains about the cost of rewriting the rules when he rolls in with an 18-wheeler for a 72" wheelbase car?
Posted via Mobile Device

9/7/11, 12:05 PM   #38
DonMoore10

There's a direct relationship between 18 wheel midget haulers and only 16 cars showing up at LaSalle.

1 member likes this post: team3521
9/7/11, 12:05 PM   #39
mscs20

Something else to be considered is the amount of "midget type" racing everywhere now. There's way too many classes that have it watered down. 1200, 1000, 900, 600 upright mini sprints, 600 and 250/270 "sidewinders", mini sprints, micro sprints, Jr sprints, modified midgets, Kenyon cars, TQ's, Ford Focus and on and on......these are the same customers that should be running national midgets, weather it's in IN, IL, PA, out to CA or down to FL and Texas. Forget about new classes, it's starting to look like go karting. Incorporate free thinking and inovation back into racing to keep it from going to an all Spike/Toyota/Hoosier class by allowing bike engines, chain drive, belt drive......even the new 4 stroke snowmobile engines. You need a wheel base rule, and CC or cubic inch rule, and thats it on 13" wheels with YOUR choice of tire. Don's right, bag the tire rules and soaking tires. Many of the tracks midgets are getting to run are stock car tracks and have scales. So some kind of weight handicapping could be an equalizer also. And then come up with a reasonable age rule, leaving the younger kids to hone their talent in quarter midgets (.25's for you new folks) and the teenagers the 600 class as a stepping stone like Powri is doing.
You can't write the rule book from what's sitting in your garage or race trailer. As said before, the ego's have to be parked, not the vw's and chevy 2's. The Chili Bowl still thrives because of the lack of rules, but is getting close to becoming political and narrow minded, and with the economy, Emmitt and Lanny's ages and health, look for a steady decline in their entries in the near future.

1 member likes this post: darnall
9/7/11, 12:53 PM   #40
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
That statement says it all. Here is the carnage that midget racing has suffered in the past few years:

RCA Dome Midgets GONE
Be a little hard to have this one again since the RCA Dome is GONE

1 member likes this post: Tony Barhorst
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled