IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What race track is in the Dodge commercial?
8/11/11, 5:03 PM   #11
Re: What race track is in the Dodge commercia
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxie bowman View Post
It sure gets your attention though, doesn't it. A few years ago, Tony Barhorst and myself took a ride over to New Bremen and walked around the track. What a nostalgia walk that was. It's going to fall down soon, you need to go and look at it before it does. Lots of GREAT MEMORIES are waiting there.
I never made it there when is was in operation. I did go by last summer and saw the outline of what used to be the race track. Not much left but I spoke with a couple of locals who knew all about it. Sad to see a track close as seldom do they ever open again.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/11/11, 9:55 PM   #12
Speedwrench

For what it's worth, for those who followed the discussion about Bob Kinser in Karl Kinser's roadster ; this is the track where Bob ran the car.

Another sidelight. In the late sixties or early seventies the revenuers
raided the place and found a still set up in a series of tunnels under turn one that were accessed through a trapdoor in the floor of a ticket booth outside the first corner.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/11/11, 11:14 PM   #13
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/16/1633...k-to-life.html

4 members like this post: chris jockish, jim goerge, Mud Packer, The Old Coyote
8/13/11, 5:12 PM   #14
Tony Barhorst

I have wondered about the commercial also. Thanks for the info.

The promoter of the Atlanta Pop Festival was a promotion teacher of mine when I went to school in Atlanta.

@coxie bowman...Sadly the Rod and Gun Club that owns the former New Bremen Speedway land had the track and grandtand/pressbox remains completely leveled a couple of years ago.
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 8/13/11 at 5:13 PM.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
8/13/11, 8:04 PM   #15
sprinter

Its pretty much all gone. No grandstands or anything like it was a few years ago. They have moved a bunch of dirt around on that site. If you didn't know better you would just assume it's a pond or something now. The town uses it to burn trees, shrubs and store fill dirt that, that sort of stuff.

Really Really sad.

But you are correct it was very neat to walk around, man if those concrete walls and stands could talk !!!

8/14/11, 12:50 PM   #16
coxie bowman

I ran there in the COXIE BOWMAN OFFY one Sunday afternoon in the early seventies. USAC ran twin FIFTIES that day. M & H tires were the tires for the HOT SETUP, (a.k.a.) "MICKEY ROONIES". The 5:50/12, was the biggest tire offered to the MIDGET contingent at the tiime, compaired to todays standards. Man, it was a great race day in which I'm grateful to have been a small part of it. Lots of BIG names in OPEN WHEEL racing raced there that day. I believe I finished BACK around tenth or eleventh in both of them. Bob STROUD, was the LEADER of the Midget division at the time.
I guess one raced because you LOVED to race, because there wasn't a whole lot of money to win back then. Of course, back then, I was just coming into PUBERTY at the time and didn't have much expierience either, probably would have raced for NOTHING anyway. Later on in the year I was going to run GREGG STEELS Chevy two there but we got rained out after qualifying. Too bad because I had a pretty good time as I remember.
I'm sure glad Tony Barhorst and myself got to walk around it a while back.

8/14/11, 8:48 PM   #17
KRJoyce1

Kevin Besecker has these New Bremen Photos posted on his site. I'm guessing they were taken a few years back. Sad to see her like this. I remember going to a few USAC Pavement shows as a kid in the early seventies. I need to get Dads super 8 movies out to see her as she was in her prime

http://www.teambesecker.com/newbremen.html

8/14/11, 10:53 PM   #18
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJoyce1 View Post
Kevin Besecker has these New Bremen Photos posted on his site. I'm guessing they were taken a few years back. Sad to see her like this. I remember going to a few USAC Pavement shows as a kid in the early seventies. I need to get Dads super 8 movies out to see her as she was in her prime

http://www.teambesecker.com/newbremen.html
Thanks for the link. Sorry to see any track disappear. As I mentioned in the earlier post, all of this is gone now. The only thing left is the outline of the track. As someone mentioned, kind of looks like a pond.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/15/11, 8:51 AM   #19
coxie bowman

Kevin Besecker came and ran with NAMARS as a rookie. He drove for Mack McClellen, (sp) Kevin's Dad and Grandpa Gene, were always there working also. That year he won the ROOKIE of the year and did pretty darn well in the national points also. He did a heck of a job as a driver plus he had excellent help steering him in the right direction. He's turned into a pretty darn good driver these days. Good luck Kevin.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What race track is in the Dodge commercial?