IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > what has happened to eldora tr
5/28/15, 12:09 PM   #1
what has happened to eldora tr
suzuki756

Once the fast half mile has become the half throttle race track . what has changed to the track? No water dry slick in hot laps horrible . I guess maybe good for those napcar trucks but sucks for sprint cars

2 members like this post: Kansasdirtfan, turn4
5/28/15, 12:15 PM   #2
LEADERS EDGE

Is that how it's been the last few times you run there? Haven't been for awhile.

5/28/15, 12:30 PM   #3
Re: what has happened to eldora tr
duel

fast track for that woo-usac double.

5/28/15, 1:34 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
fast track for that woo-usac double.
Faster than what? The tracks a second slower than it used to be and while I seen cars in the past make a low line work. I never seen catfishin dominating. The Bobby Allen line was about half track with bottom of two and four exits. Watched him win a Eldora Anniversary by running there and half way through the race started picking off two a lap.

Its not the same. It isn't terrible but it isn't the eldora I fell in love with. Dogging each other on the cushion with monster sliders. In some ways its better, In others its not. YOU CANT see cars running the bottom due to haulers.

Im not sure just how much. But they've taken several degrees of banking out of it by raising the bottom of the turns.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/28/15 at 1:37 PM.

2 members like this post: dkdorkboy, turn4
5/28/15, 4:40 PM   #5
mlamb

In my opinion the middle 80s to the middle 90s were amongst the best Eldora tracks. Seen several features were guys coming outta turn 4 would go across the concrete apron way down low....while others were on the wall. The CRA/USAC shows were always awesome. Even WoO & ASCoC shows were good back then there.
Back when Earl had the "frosty 40s" then later the "frosty 30s" in October....those were the good years. Of coarse everything changes a bunch including tire technologies, which I'm sure effects the track.
I'd always heard the John Bankston crash at the HBO really effected Earl a bunch...consequently not prepping the track to be so fast? Not sure if that's accurate or not? Even still Eldora is amongst one of my all time favorite tracks. Yes it has changed though....but a lot of things have. The positive of it is we still got a guy who wants to continue running it, and is trying.
Last edited by mlamb; 5/28/15 at 9:55 PM.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, mtek56, SpfldMile
5/28/15, 4:45 PM   #6
Hotshoe65s

The racing has been great for the late models when I've been. I agree they could use dirt that holds moisture a little better. But they have the banking where the bottom is competitive with the top

5/28/15, 5:24 PM   #7
BrentTFunk

I was at the USAC WoO show on Friday. The track was OK, but I noticed the winged cars never got near the top. I think the cars are so locked down now that the bottom is faster. If 2 cars are both not lifting the one who takes the shortest way will be faster. I didn't think the track was that bad. Dusty,but least it didn't take rubber.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
5/28/15, 7:57 PM   #8
Kinser11

It use to be great in the early 80's. Watching Bobby Allen, Lee Osborn, Randy Ford battle each other on the bottom.

I remember Gary Lynch from Washington State ( or somewhere out west) Beat Jimmy Sills in the last Eldora Nationals in 1984. Gary hugged the bottom and Jimmy ran the high side. They swapped the lead to many times to count. Great racing then.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, sc17x
5/28/15, 9:09 PM   #9
flagboy55

I think it would get better if they would put "home of the sprint" back on the front straight wall!

3 members like this post: EPSpeed, fish, jim goerge
5/28/15, 9:21 PM   #10
chathamracefan

It has been really good for the Dream and World 100 the last few years. A lot of charges from the back in the features

Also, even if it's an average race, there is just a magical feeling at Eldora imo

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > what has happened to eldora tr