IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many would attend?
2/23/23, 6:42 AM   #1
How many would attend?
motorhead748

Lincoln speedway in Pennsylvania traditionally holds their opening weekend the last weekend in February. If they luck out with even close to decent weather it can be SRO.. This year with them watching the weather and today (Thursday) being an exceptionally nice day they moved opening day up to today. Paying $5K to win. And still are are planning to run the regularly scheduled 2 day show this weekend. Saturday doesn’t look great but Sunday not too bad and I may ride over…
My question is if an Indiana track tried this how many fans & cars would show up?

4 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, nathans1012, PIT CART, tirespinner
2/23/23, 9:23 AM   #2
Re: How many would attend?
BrentTFunk

Thursday might be the lightest crowd at Lincoln. If the weather is half way good this weekend it will be packed. I also think Thursday will be good enough to make a profit. In Indiana, I don't think people would turn out. Might get the cars. Paragon has the No Way Out 40 on March 11. This is the earliest that I remember seeing an Indiana track open. That might be a better way to judge.

3 members like this post: oppweld, PIT CART, tirespinner
2/23/23, 10:06 AM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

This is a sprints only show and I bet the checker is thrown by 930 probably by 830

We've had NWO for over a decade and really it's all dependent on weather on fan count.

No sure you could rank Lincoln with any IN track, Them people are tough and seem to be enough fans to keep two tracks a night pretty well attended. A nice Icebreaker has had full grandstands and a packed infield.

Me personally, If I ran a track would schedule every Sunday afternoon until mid November. decent paying. Weather don't look good, you could cancel early in the week Hot laps 530 checker by 9. Two classes.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/23/23 at 12:38 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cornerthree, kcarm92, motorhead748, nathans1012
2/23/23, 11:47 AM   #4
dsc1600

The weather is supposed to be in the 60s this afternoon so if people can get out of work, it should be well attended.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012, tirespinner
2/23/23, 12:45 PM   #5
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I remember going to the Lincoln opener must have been 1998 and the Grove got snowed out the next day.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, tirespinner
2/23/23, 12:53 PM   #6
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
I remember going to the Lincoln opener must have been 1998 and the Grove got snowed out the next day.
I went out years ago to the opener and the grove the next day. A young Kasey Kahne won at the Grove. Lincoln is the only one that runs really early anymore. I think oversaturation is a factor there, as it is here. Teams and fans get burnt out, and run out of money.

4 members like this post: captrat, jonboat15, oppweld, tirespinner
2/23/23, 3:14 PM   #7
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

In 1999 I don't think it was the opening weekend but still pretty early. Kevin Gobrecht won at Lincoln on Saturday, Port Royal Saturday Night, and at the Grove on Sunday afternoon noon raising his profile that led to him getting the Blaney Amoco ride with the outlaws!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, tirespinner
2/23/23, 4:14 PM   #8
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Lincoln speedway in Pennsylvania traditionally holds their opening weekend the last weekend in February. If they luck out with even close to decent weather it can be SRO.. This year with them watching the weather and today (Thursday) being an exceptionally nice day they moved opening day up to today. Paying $5K to win. And still are are planning to run the regularly scheduled 2 day show this weekend. Saturday doesn’t look great but Sunday not too bad and I may ride over…
My question is if an Indiana track tried this how many fans & cars would show up?
I would. I've sat in 28-degree weather at LaSalle (IL) Speedway for the Thaw Brawl about 7 years ago. Had 5 layers of clothes on plus 2 hoodies, and heavy jacket, and a large blanket.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
2/23/23, 4:26 PM   #9
dsc1600

I was there as well when Kasey won the opener. As a kid I was in awe of the conditions they would race in. In the late 80s at the Grove they ran a few days after a huge snow storm where you had to park around huge snow piles in the parking lot.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
2/23/23, 5:46 PM   #10
Bostonian

I just checked FloRacing, and it will be on tonight starting at 7:00 pm EST.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many would attend?