IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > what hurts sprintcar racing
7/17/17, 1:00 PM   #21
Re: what hurts sprintcar racing
TQ29m

Kinda reminds ya of some other "newsy" stuff these days! Bob

7/17/17, 1:47 PM   #22
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayDrifter View Post
What hurts is when people go to a race and want to compare the class of car they see to something else. I have been to many winged car races (more than non wing given my location) and never once have I left saying that was a bad race and in my mind im comparing it to a non-wing race. If I go to a wing race I know 90% of the time I am going to see a freight train of cars at a high rate of speed, I can enjoy that style of racing. I know I if I am going to a non wing race I am going to see 3 or 4 wide, slide jobs, and more seat of your pants racing but at a slower speed (irrelevant, just noting diff. characteristics)... I would never say one is less exciting than the other by trying to compare the two, there is no comparison. But based on the characteristics I can judge a "good/bad winged car race" or a "good/bad non wing car" race...

I mean, most of us wouldnt compare indycar to F1 even though the cars look pretty much the same?
Nominating this for post of year.

7/17/17, 3:14 PM   #23
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

You know what hurts racing not going to the tracks whatever kind they are! Go to the track and have some fun, eat some food, talk to your neighbor, make new friends, take your kids! Get a pit pass talk to the drivers and crews. Not doing any of those things is what hurts the sport. Because yes sometimes the racing is better than other times. It can't always be wine and roses. We can't always have our cake and eat it to. The track promoters, the track prep people, the drivers and there crews they are all human just like we are and make mistakes. It's just part of life. I can tell you this That a promoter, a track prep person, a driver or a crew member isn't saying I'm going to perform my job really crappy today so the races the fans get to see is really bad! They aren't saying that to themselves! Go To The Races Whatever Kind You Like Best And Have Fun!

7/17/17, 6:10 PM   #24
Wingman

Quote:
What hurts is when people go to a race and want to compare the class of car they see to something else. I have been to many winged car races (more than non wing given my location) and never once have I left saying that was a bad race and in my mind im comparing it to a non-wing race. If I go to a wing race I know 90% of the time I am going to see a freight train of cars at a high rate of speed, I can enjoy that style of racing. I know I if I am going to a non wing race I am going to see 3 or 4 wide, slide jobs, and more seat of your pants racing but at a slower speed (irrelevant, just noting diff. characteristics)... I would never say one is less exciting than the other by trying to compare the two, there is no comparison. But based on the characteristics I can judge a "good/bad winged car race" or a "good/bad non wing car" race...

I mean, most of us wouldnt compare indycar to F1 even though the cars look pretty much the same?
I hope you are being sarcastic about this being post of the year. Total contradiction and makes no sense.

7/17/17, 6:35 PM   #25
revjimk

I don't know. The original post was about over zealous announcers over hyping mediocre races. To even affect anyone, they have to be at the track to begin with, meaning they are interested.
I think the reasons are deeper, maybe lack of interest in cars generally, especially by younger generation? Very few people work on their on cars anymore, they're kind of boring, computer assisted, front wheel drive. A friend of mine's son just graduated HS. When he got his license at 16 she couldn't even get him interesting in driving. When we were that age, all we wanted to do was get out of the house & into a set of wheels... is it video games & cellphones?

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, K9Racer, oppweld, racer-x
7/17/17, 8:00 PM   #26
Scooter

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: 50+

many (not all) promoters don't promote anymore....as in...bring a friend to the track night...dollar dog nights...Big wheel races...anything to sell extra tickets to NEW faces...anything to get a new fan in the gate...keeping in mind you need to retain the familiar faces..

Racing has lots of competition with "other" activities. Gotta keep it interesting.

Social media is a promoters friend.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, erich45, Nate, oppweld
7/17/17, 8:27 PM   #27
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic about this being post of the year. Total contradiction and makes no sense.
Care to elaborate?

7/17/17, 9:31 PM   #28
Wingman

[QUOTE=ModernDayDrifter;478179]Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE

You say that you don't compare class of car than you bash on wing sprints. You say 90% of the time you are going to see a freight train racing. Then turnaround and say I know when you go to a non-wing show that you are going to see all these sliders so you just compared the two. That is a contradiction in IMO.

I like all of it. Regardless of non-wing, midget and wing. My home track is the burg and Love the place. They run non-wing 99% of the time.

7/17/17, 9:49 PM   #29
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

[quote=Wingman;478185]
Quote:
Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE

You say that you don't compare class of car than you bash on wing sprints. You say 90% of the time you are going to see a freight train racing. Then turnaround and say I know when you go to a non-wing show that you are going to see all these sliders so you just compared the two. That is a contradiction in IMO.

I like all of it. Regardless of non-wing, midget and wing. My home track is the burg and Love the place. They run non-wing 99% of the time.
I chose not to be a school teacher because I have a problem with people not understanding basic reading comprehension. So I will break this down for you.

-Nowhere did I compare one vs. one. Which is the point I was making hurts racing.
-You point out that I consider 90% of winged racing to be freight trains, in a negative light. But completely walked around the part directly after where I said I can enjoy that type of racing as well.
-I say non wing racing has sliders, 3 or 4 wide racing, etc. Not as a dig on winged racing, but pointing out their characteristics.
-I clearly state that I am never going to judge one while I have the others characteristics in my mind.

Meaning: I know before hand what kind of racing I will be exposed to BEFORE I ever even go. I enjoy all types of racing because I do not dwell on the "Well if this was a non wing race there would be a lot more slide jobs, or alot more 3 wide racing." Nope, I understand what I will see and judge accordingly.

I know if I go to local asphalt track that the racing may be single file with long green flag runs. The dirt track 20 minutes down the road may not be that way. I am okay knowing this, and dont hold the other accountable. Its just understanding the difference, instead of finding flaws.

My 10 year old nephew gets it, do you?

2 members like this post: erich45, scottyCbus
7/18/17, 6:10 AM   #30
Backitin

I can sum it up by saying that no one appreciates Sprintcars more then me.
If the first sprint race I ever saw was a winged race I might have never watched another.
The advent of wings has also priced many a racer right out of the game. Run a nonwinger on a local bullring, do the same with a winged car. Guess which one in the long run costs way more to run.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > what hurts sprintcar racing