IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown awards
8/25/13, 5:49 PM   #1
2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown awards
Andrew S. Quinn

The 2nd annual Kokomo Smackdown has been run and won,and this year for
the Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown awards we topped last years amount of
$1000.37 to $1550.26 which we divide 10 ways,for $155.00 to each driver
plus an extra $.26 for one driver. We had a bunch of new winners this
year,and some repeat winners as well. I dont know how many of the
drivers look at IOW,but all were appreciative to receive some extra
cash for the nights efforts.

This year with a bit of luck and good timing,I just happened to cross paths with Danny Burton,and grandson Karston while heading out in the pits. I asked Danny if we could borrow Karston to help present the awards,and got the ok, as long as he can sit in the cars too. That was fine by me. I figured it would be good to get a little one involved for some fun,and an added bonus was I wouldnt have to get my photo taken.

This years awards and winners were:

1 Hard charger
We do our hard charger award based on the A-main on Saturday
night.,and award it to the driver that passed the the most cars in the A-Main. This year that driver was Jerry Coons Jr.

2 Best appearing car I had a few nominations for this,and after a final vote (I was even out voted!) it came down to Chase Stockon for the 2nd year in a row. While we were there the little guy that was in the photo with Chase last year,Clayton Gries was there,and a few other kids happened by while looking for autographs,so we invited them to be in the photo as well. Sure looks like a bunch of happy faces to me.

3 7th place in the A main
Another winner from last year although this time he finished a bit higher than last year. After last years photo of him,this year I took 2 photos of everyone to make sure I got one good one. 7th place finisher this year is Scotty Weir.

4 Bill Gardner not giving up
This one was a bit harder than last years winner to come up with a deserving winner. The Edison team had mechanical issues on Friday night and didnt race. They came back on Saturday night,put the car in the A-main,and despite starting way back,came out of the night with an 8th place finish. Here is the Bill Gardner dont give up award winner,Jerry Coons Jr.

5 Josh Burton in memory. 4th place on lap 4
We had numerous requests for a in memory of Josh Burton award,which we all thought was a good idea. The next problem was how do we award it using the number 4 in it as part of his car number.I asked Paula, a friend of the Burton family for some help.She suggested 4th place on the 4th lap. Great idea we thought,and Monica Clauson helped me out here with this one,and after the race told me it was Brady Bacon. Brady was one of 2 drivers we didnt catch up with,so I'll track him down in the future to give him this award.

6 13th place in the A main in memory of Jason Leffler and Jesse Hockett
This year we changed the 13th place finisher to one remembering two great racers that both drove the Buch 13 sprint car,and both left us way to soon. This years 13th place award winner in memory of Jason Leffler and Jesse Hockett is Jon Stanbrough.

7 Peoples choice in memory of Morty
What a weekend this guy had. 2 wins and a 2nd place finish for the weekend in the Phillips 71. Always a popular driver no matter where or what he is driving. We decided to name this award in memory of our friend Randy Mortland,better known as Morty,who passed away earlier in the day yesterday. Peoples choice award in memory of Morty goes to Dave Darland

8 Last place in the A main
This award goes to a guy that was having a very good run in the A-main running 4th late in the race until they had issues crop up and had to pull out resulting in a last place finish. Chad Boespflug gets the last place finisher award.

9 Hard luck
For the 2nd year in a row the hard luck winner was in the hospital getting checked out after a wild flip entering turn one. That flip and a not very good night of racing on Thursday night made the Stensland team and driver Hunter Schuerenberg a winner of the hard luck award. I'll track Hunter down in future races to give him his award and get a photo.

10 It ain't to flash, but its fast
Not every car at the track is covered with chrome,or has a flashy eye catching paint scheme. Shane Cottle showed us all especially Friday night that it doesnt have to be flash to go fast! It was pretty fast on Saturday night too,and we awarded the It aint to flash,but its fast to Shane Cottle.

Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/26/13 at 6:22 AM.

8/25/13, 10:16 PM   #2
Re: 2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown awards
Sprint Car Racing Fan

[QUOTE=Andrew S. Quinn;348646]

9 Hard luck
For the 2nd year in a row the hard luck winner was in the hospital getting checked out after a wild flip entering turn one. That flip and a not very good night of racing on Thursday night made the Stensland team and driver Hunter Schuerenberg a winner of the hard luck award. I'll track Hunter down in future races to give him his award and get a photo.

Any update on Hunter?

8/25/13, 10:41 PM   #3
Rpracing1

Really need to give an award to highest point guy running all 3 nights but not making any of the mains.........IMO

2 members like this post: cjm3535, mowerman
8/26/13, 5:36 AM   #4
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Really need to give an award to highest point guy running all 3 nights but not making any of the mains.........IMO
I asked for suggestions and it was pretty quiet. Hard to miss this thread,as it was at the top on your computer,or at the bottom on mobile view for many weeks.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=70261

8/26/13, 6:41 AM   #5
PJ Wright

Awesome. I love seeing the kids having a good time at the races. I'm sure it was a very emotional weekend for you Andrew. Thanks for going above and beyond the call of racefan duty supporting and promoting our sport.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, luckybuc97, racing2bwithu2
8/26/13, 7:14 AM   #6
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
I asked for suggestions and it was pretty quiet. Hard to miss this thread,as it was at the top on your computer,or at the bottom on mobile view for many weeks.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=70261
Maybe next year there bud.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/26/13, 8:19 AM   #7
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

What a great post and wrap up of the rewards Andrew! Also nice job Karston.

5 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, luckybuc97, Ricks Pics, scottyCbus, tim brown
8/26/13, 9:01 AM   #8
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
What a great post and wrap up of the rewards Andrew! Also nice job Karston.
Thanks. I have more thoughts to add in later. To much going on yesterday without much sleep. I got tired of typing and adding pics....

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: flatout18, luckybuc97, rightrear
10/8/13, 7:53 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

After many weeks I finally caught up with Brady Bacon to give him his Smackdown award "In memory of Josh Burton 4th place on the 4th lap"

Now onwards to catching up with Hunter Scheurenburg ,and all the money for the 2013 Smackdown Awards will be handed out.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 10/8/13 at 8:00 PM.

3 members like this post: davidm, mowerman, racing2bwithu2
10/8/13, 7:58 PM   #10
Andrew S. Quinn

Its been awhile since the Smackdown,but I would like to thank the Clauson's, Bob and especially Monica for making all this happen. They carried the IOW bucket around along with the poster that Monica put together of last years winners,taking up space in their motorhome,not to mention time setting it up everywhere they went this summer.

I've said it here before: Monica does a lot of nice things for a lot of people including myself. Thanks for all of your help!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown awards