IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #1 5/12/20 9:48 PM
I was surfing around and found this. I have seen pics of Sheldon Kinser racing there. I know it closed up a long time ago but thought maybe some of you might have some stories or memories of this track that became a mall. (sad)

http://www.therepublic.com/2020/04/1...ng_until_1974/

Peace & love to all.
God bless our Troops at home and abroad.
INDY1808 SEE YOU AT THE RACES !
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
3 Likes: mc/rider, TNRustler, WinglessLovers
pcabel04@yahoo.com (Offline)
  #2 5/12/20 10:25 PM
Spent many Saturday nights there don’t remember much about the sprintcar there but a lot of stock cars the day of Russ and Gene Petro John Warner Paul Crockett and many more at that time I was around 8 years old My Dad was the fair board president
2 Likes: Indy1808, RedRacer07
TQ29m (Offline)
  #3 5/13/20 8:57 AM
Originally Posted by Indy1808:
I was surfing around and found this. I have seen pics of Sheldon Kinser racing there. I know it closed up a long time ago but thought maybe some of you might have some stories or memories of this track that became a mall. (sad)

http://www.therepublic.com/2020/04/1...ng_until_1974/
Sad is right, watched many a race there on Thursday nights, and about any time they were open, raced there a few times myself, I go back a few years, and at the Speedway, other side of town just off US7, and, raced there quite a bit actually. Those were the glory days for us old farts, lots of memories Bob. In fact, I am currently building a period car from before that time, a Ranger powered Sprint car. Wish me luck.

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
9 Likes: Indy1808, interpreter66, jonboat15, luckybuc97, mc/rider, RedRacer07, tirespinner, wallbanger II, WinglessLovers
kinser (Offline)
  #4 5/13/20 11:43 AM
What year did they close it down ?
TQ29m (Offline)
  #5 5/13/20 12:03 PM
I'm not sure, his ref to the paper had 1974 on it, which may be right, I have an unusual filing system, by what car I was driving, and who I was dating takes care of most of it, I know I was married while in the Military, coming up soon, June 17th, 1961, doesn't look like it'll be Applebee's this year, but it'd be nice, also be nice if I could have my Ranger in a sprint car by then, but that's a stretch. Engine is ready, just looking for something to put it in. I have to counter with that article, I watched them on both tracks, and sometimes they ran them both the same night, course the guys from CRA/MRA/Mutual, Amick, Prosser, that bunch preferred the 1/4 mile, and the bikes and stockers the 1/2 mile, then before they got the new fairgrounds done west of town, they cut us a little track in front of the grandstand, and we ran karts there, so I'm getting my filing system to come up, we ran Karts there before I went in the service, that was 1961, Jan, then when I got out, Jan 1963, go kart racing had vanished, well, not really, it had moved to the new place, and I ran at least one race there before I went to Ft Leonard Wood, so according to my filing, I'd say the 25th street musta closed sometime in 1960-1962 era. Now, Pete, how about them apples.

2 Likes: RedRacer07, tirespinner
TQ29m (Offline)
  #6 5/13/20 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by pcabel04@yahoo.com:
Spent many Saturday nights there don’t remember much about the sprintcar there but a lot of stock cars the day of Russ and Gene Petro John Warner Paul Crockett and many more at that time I was around 8 years old My Dad was the fair board president
And my uncle was starting to form HARF!

2 Likes: RedRacer07, tirespinner
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #7 5/13/20 12:39 PM
I found a pic.

Peace & love to all.
3 Likes: mc/rider, PIT CART, TNRustler
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #8 5/13/20 12:41 PM
And 1 more looks like midgets?
guess not
delete

Peace & love to all.
3 Likes: mc/rider, tirespinner, TNRustler
TQ29m (Offline)
  #9 5/13/20 1:28 PM
Oh how I wish I could hear one today, midgets were very popular, everyone but me had one.

2 Likes: Indy1808, tirespinner
TQ29m (Offline)
  #10 5/13/20 5:37 PM
Originally Posted by Indy1808:
And 1 more looks like midgets?
That picture is at the Columbus Speedway, south of town off hiway 7, there is a picture in there of them running real early at the 25st track, really old, before my time even!

2 Likes: Indy1808, tirespinner