IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Right Rear Brake
4/13/13, 8:16 PM   #1
Right Rear Brake
Toplaw17

This is my rookie season and looking for a little advice. Would you recommend running a RR break for a wingless 305 class? Advantages/Disadvantages. Also, do you run more caster in a wingless car than a winged car? 12-14 degrees? Thanks in advance.

4/14/13, 7:40 PM   #2
Re: Right Rear Brake
TQ29m

I'll give you my preference, I don't like a RR brake, and I know it is attached to a solid axle and it shouldn't make any difference, but in my experience, it does, it wants to straighten the car, rather than help it on corner entry. As far as caster, I run as little as I can, 4 to 8 degrees, it still gives you a feel for the track, but doesn't transfer too much weight, to make the car twitch, or want to spin out/overrotate, or, on some cases, it may make it "bicycle", I like it as neutral as I can get it, and still get feedback from the steering. JMHO! Bob

4/17/13, 12:01 PM   #3
Re: Right Rear Brake
darnall

I'm running a nonwing 305 in a class with no engine rules...I do not have a RR brake and have no intentions of trying one.

As for caster....keep it around 10 degrees or so...I have found that anything more makes it hard to straighten up the wheel coming off the corners, and it actually feels like the steering has locked for a split second.

Your axle will be built to run a particular amount of caster,(some are built for 10degree, others have an 8/12 split) and you don't want to deviate very far from that number. If you try to crank 14 degrees in a 10 degree axle you end up with the upper radius rod being much shorter than the lower which causes the travel arc of the axle to do funny stuff.

1 member likes this post: red70racer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Right Rear Brake