IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
53az (Offline)
  #1 11/15/15 3:55 PM
I'm sure this has been talked to death, forgive me. For a single engine/car team starting out that doesn't a have huge budget (but isn't shoestring either) does it make sense to dedicate a large chunk of upfront budget to a big name builder versus money spent elsewhere. Do you really get what you pay for? Those with a Gaerte, Ott, Shaver etc... Are you really satisfied with your dollars spent? Could that money have gone to a local builder, get a durable (albeit less hp) motor and spread the difference around? Thanks.
PIT CART (Offline)
  #2 11/15/15 4:16 PM
I have seen claxton engines run with all of them.
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #3 11/15/15 4:19 PM
Kercher Racing Engines is another one
Kart#51 (Offline)
  #4 11/15/15 6:32 PM
If you don't know what to do with your race car then no elite motor will help you. Learn your car and setups and then get horsepower.
3 Likes: flatout, i love dirt track racing, interpreter66
Can26 (Offline)
  #5 11/15/15 6:59 PM
Strpko Engineering makes this old, fat driver look good on the odd occasion. And best of all for next to nothing. I got lucky finding Mark!
2 Likes: schwarzracen27, sprintracer82
badcoupe (Online)
  #6 11/15/15 7:11 PM
The hp can almost be overcome with driver and car setup. Or buy a used big name motor and have your freshening done locally. It's very prevalent in the tqs. Many nights the new 4 valve motors will run behind because of setup driver vs a motor that's down 30hp but is setup well with a good driver
jballou12 (Offline)
  #7 11/15/15 7:35 PM
Don Ott's are very reliable and run great! 13 Wins on USAC national tour this year.
2 Likes: PIT CART, rachasin
mcveyracing (Offline)
  #8 11/15/15 9:56 PM
I think Williams Precision Engines does really well at making reliable power within your budget, and provides great support as well.
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #9 11/15/15 10:44 PM
Mark Cummins Racing Engines does one heck of a job and has a full machine shop in house too! He does a lot of block repair for Donovan and many other race teams and is a former Sprint Car driver himself along with his son, Kyle. 812-386-7691 is the shop number. Give him a call and tell him J.T. sent you!
2 Likes: jim goerge, kart31rac
53az (Offline)
  #10 11/15/15 11:34 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I'd like to hear from any teams that have gone both routes, (ponied up the coin for a "name" builder versus going local). I suspect it depends alot on personal budget comfort/size. You have "X" amount of dollars to build a car, Team A: decides 70% for engine. Team B: 50%