IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #1 1/27/13 10:26 PM
Anyone remember this car and drivers...........My wife's uncle, Bill Powers (Powers Welding) and his partner Bill King (Kings Custom Machine) campaigned this car on the USAC circuit back in the day...........First pic is Eddie Leavitt, but I think second pic is Cliff Cockrum? Is this correct? Any good stories out there on these hot dogs? I think a lot of top drivers piloted these cars.

6 Likes: billwill7, chrismattlin, jim goerge, racing2bwithu2, ronmil
David Nearpass (Offline)
  #2 1/27/13 11:05 PM
I believe Blackie Fortune with Kenny Schrader as the driver had a King car (#39). That was one of the cars to have back in the day. If memory serves correct Rich Vogler tried to win warm ups one afternoon at Terre Haute in the King 51 and rode up over the back of Steve Kinser...took a vicious ride.
David Nearpass
old timer (Offline)
  #3 1/27/13 11:09 PM
Larry Martin drove it for awhile.
2 Likes: Dougherty20, Rpracing1
David Nearpass (Offline)
  #4 1/27/13 11:58 PM
Jack Hewitt drove the Powers #51...1983??? There was also a young man named Keith Campbell who had a King chassis...a white #53.
David Nearpass
#1jackhewittfan (Offline)
  #5 1/28/13 1:38 AM
Believe Jack hewitt got his first usac sprint win in it a Terre haute

Posted via Mobile Device
3 Likes: Dougherty20, Rpracing1, smcpherson
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #6 1/28/13 8:16 AM
Larry Gates was the first guy I saw in this car. He tangled with Ferkel in a non wing WoO ,(Yes WoO used to be wings optional,tracks choice) race at Kokomo. That , to this day, is the highest I've ever seen a car go.

The car had tremendous horsepower, but had real reliability
problems. I saw it blow a motor saw big at Terre Haute one day, with Leavitt driving, that they kicked pieces of the motor off the track.
2 Likes: jim goerge, Rpracing1
smith19 (Offline)
  #7 1/28/13 8:26 AM
buckweat had a usac race won and it ran out of fuel. may have been at the indy fairgrounds. he was always fast in it...

CHRIS SMITH
tamale wagon (Offline)
  #8 1/28/13 9:15 AM
1985 Eldora

2 Likes: jim goerge, Rpracing1
fifthwheel (Offline)
  #9 1/28/13 9:17 AM
I believe that was in a fast car dash and Larry broke his leg.
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #10 1/28/13 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by racephoto1:
Larry Gates was the first guy I saw in this car. He tangled with Ferkel in a non wing WoO ,(Yes WoO used to be wings optional,tracks choice) race at Kokomo. That , to this day, is the highest I've ever seen a car go.

The car had tremendous horsepower, but had real reliability
problems. I saw it blow a motor saw big at Terre Haute one day, with Leavitt driving, that they kicked pieces of the motor off the track.
Powers always made a point to tell me that his "Sam Jones" Big Motors had more Titanium in them than any other car in the day.