Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ballou vs Stewart
9/24/18, 6:28 AM   #31
Re: Ballou vs Stewart
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Why are track conditions always such an issue at Eldora?
The dust issues go way back before the Tony era.
That said, I enjoyed the racing last night very much. This after swearing to never come back after dust storms and sunrise home arrivals.
Ditto. Was good to see you and Larry if only for a few seconds

9/24/18, 7:05 AM   #32
bigvee

Race Count This Year: 34
Race Count Last Year: 40

There sure isn't any passing "above the cushion" anymore.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/24/18, 7:48 AM   #33
ossuks

Every year it is the same....Track conditions at Eldora, they run so late, blah blah blah...Stay home if you do not like it. My absolute favorite show of the year is the 4 Crown, I love the fact that you have to have talent and coconuts to win there. Flat, rubber down huggy pole is not for me, almost as bad is when you get a big, wet cushion and everyone hits the set up because it is easier to find ( bigger sweet spot) and it is just hammer down around and around and everyone "looks" like a driver!!

I will take Eldora like it is over any track, any time!! Fast enough to respect, tricky enough to take talent, and legendary enough to make heroes!! Look back at who wins at Eldora and you will find legends, men that won in Indy Car, NASCAR, ect...TALENT that went on to fame.... You like what you like, there are a lot of west coaster that love their wet tracks and that is great, there are those that love high banked asphalt ( me included), wingers and non wingers, stock car and open wheel.....I like them all, but if I could only watch one race a year my ass is watching Eldora, Earl built it and made it famous, Tony picked it up and not only continues the legend but had made fantastic improvements!

9/24/18, 8:57 AM   #34
Big Mike 7

The only thing that he is the best at is whining. As far as sprint car drivers, he couldn’t carry the best guys helmet bags.

9/24/18, 9:41 AM   #35
cletust2

Race Count This Year: 16

I don't think we need to tell racers not to come back. I don't think its good for the sport.

9/24/18, 9:41 AM   #36
Rpracing1

Always enjoy watching Robert race and even enjoy reading and listening to Roberts ideas and rants. He is kind of the "Jeff Burton" NASCAR type of Policeman for Sprint Cars, right or wrong. Just think at this point in time, he may be better off just worrying about his "Shock" issues and finding the car that is "Right" for Robert, and leave the track prep to others. JMO

9/24/18, 10:51 AM   #37
Therealether

Isn't that the nature of dirt track racing? It won't always be to your liking, so shut up and race. Hell, at Volusia this past Feb they had a giant hole develop in the first turn,and guess what? 3 or 4 divisions ran without as much ********. Even Gravel, who destroyed an chassis after hitting it didn't whine like Ballou.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
9/24/18, 11:10 AM   #38
Chase Hightower

Calling Ballou "one of the best ever" is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. The best ever drove and won on every type of track surface and condition. I liked his hammer down style when he came on the scene, and still has at certain tracks. But, he sure can't run dry slick, use patience, and isn't what I'd call "smooth" by any stretch. He definitely isn't bigger than Eldora, or the races that happen there, or the people that show up to watch the racing there, and will come with or without Robert. I'm pretty certain The Big E will survive without Ballou. Simple, if all you want to do is cry, complain, call out people, and don't run worth a sh*it at certain joints, then stay home. I liked the racing fine, and that's probably the best Silver Crown race I've seen. Ballou wouldn't know, he wasn't in it. Hopefully he enjoyed watching as much as I did.

1 member likes this post: Therealether
9/24/18, 11:50 AM   #39
tamati

I guess winning a usac sprint championship does not make you one of the best, Then I don't know what does.

9/24/18, 11:57 AM   #40
55fan

I simply prefer the smaller tracks. I don't like seeing anyone getting hurt or killed.

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ballou vs Stewart