IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora track conditions
5/13/17, 1:02 AM   #11
Re: Eldora track conditions
BrentTFunk

The USAC race was great. The winged cars continue to run lower and would continue to do so if it was wet. Think about it. If everyone is full throttle all the way around the track, the shortest way will be the fastest. I thought the conditions were pretty good for an Ohio track, but I was actually there. Nice run by Hewitt, reminded me of his run last spring at the Burg. Got no dust on me all night.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 5/13/17 at 1:03 AM.

5/13/17, 2:00 AM   #12
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

I too miss the old Eldora cushion, but the fact is the USAC feature was fantastic. The Outlaw races were pretty good too. Hard to complain when this is the only track that gives us fans both in the same night. $33.00 for a pit pass

Rich M

5/13/17, 2:44 AM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I wasn't bashing the track, just saying it's not the breathtaking speed plant it used to be (At least that's the way I see it) And that's the main reason I fell in love with going there.

As for dust? I always remember the place being dusty as hell, The difference was Earl would water the top with the fire truck before the features and the dust wasn't so bad the first few laps that you could still see turn four and half the front straight from the other end. Now you gotta wait till it blows off. Last years midget feature at the four crown I couldn't see turn four at all till about lap five or six.

Glad it was good and safe race. Got word that Sheldon says Jac is ok from his WoO wreck.
Can anyone tell me what happened to Chad? Im guessing brakes. But IDK.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/13/17 at 2:48 AM.

1 member likes this post: Boat
5/13/17, 6:40 AM   #14
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Track couldn't be to bad if Stockon starts 21st and runs 4th. Same for Hewitt who started 9th and went up to 2nd with a chance to win it. Others advanced as well. Andretti, Courtney etc. That stretch from around lap 15 to 25 was fantastic stuff up front. Passing on the huggy pole, in the middle and inches off the wall. I got way more than my money's worth. Was it dusty...for sure. Is it always dusty...for sure. Great night glad I went.

5/13/17, 7:09 AM   #15
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Eldora made full containment mandatory. It is not mandatory for USAC but Eldora's rules prevail.
Also five fasteners instead of three per wheel cover. Im not knocking the rule Im glad most drivers are using them.
Uggg! Those rules are why I left DLM. So racers have to buy special seat just for Eldora? That's stupid, I hare WRG, they want to be NASCAR of dirt... I think some of these FC seats lead to concussion injuries, like "shaken baby syndrome". We had some guys in DLM that got concussions on a rough track without even having a wreck due to the ping-pong'ing between the headrests... Concussions end careers and have lasting effects. No thanks.

1 member likes this post: R.Drang
5/13/17, 8:02 AM   #16
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcarjim View Post
Lighten up nate. Been a fan for 40+ years, just be nice to see a cushion every once in a while.
Wasn't trying to attack ya, just meant if you are going to Eldora you should know exactly what to expect.

That said, sounds like the USAC show was a great race even if it was dusty.

2 members like this post: dirt330, WinglessLovers
5/13/17, 8:57 AM   #17
cletust2

Race Count This Year: 16

Sat next to some Outlaw fans who don't know any non wing stuff and these guys were absolutely amazed at that a-main.

5/13/17, 9:07 AM   #18
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcarjim View Post
Lighten up nate. Been a fan for 40+ years, just be nice to see a cushion every once in a while.
Eldora has not been a cushion track for a long time. Earl said in his book that he refused to have a cushion anymore. This isn't a new thing. unless it rained, it has been that way since i started going there in 1982.

1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
5/13/17, 9:17 AM   #19
Backitin

breathtaking speed plant huh ? That's whats wrong with most of todays racing its all about speed, less and less about driving ability. If everyone is going around full throttle with no lifting the racing sucks, period.
as an example, woo.

3 members like this post: Bshort36, FishBurger, Jbaldwin
5/13/17, 9:28 AM   #20
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.P. View Post
Track couldn't be to bad if Stockon starts 21st and runs 4th. Same for Hewitt who started 9th and went up to 2nd with a chance to win it. Others advanced as well. Andretti, Courtney etc. That stretch from around lap 15 to 25 was fantastic stuff up front. Passing on the huggy pole, in the middle and inches off the wall. I got way more than my money's worth. Was it dusty...for sure. Is it always dusty...for sure. Great night glad I went.

did you enjoy the pizza burger?

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora track conditions