IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Still kickin
10/29/17, 9:37 AM   #1
Still kickin
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Guess many of you who know me, Knew I was in a lot of trouble more than I did myself as I just wouldn't face up to how much I've smoked and ate myself into a world of trouble.

Last weekend I started feeling really bad, thought it was fibro at first. Swore off going to the Klash. Come Saturday night Im coughing a lot struggling to catch breath. Come last Sunday Night into Monday afternoon came a period of non stop coughing and bouts of unconsciousness. I drove myself to the urgent care two miles. They tell me, Not much we can do for ya, you need to drive to the hospital. Well Im not driving anywhere, I can't even stay conscious my blood oxygen was dropping under 85 So I have them call a ambulance.

Well I had the first case of Influenza A in Bethesda North, But that's not what almost killed me. My lungs are so damaged with COPD I couldn't exhale anythingdf>

After six days and five nights, Im home. ON oxegen if moving around. But told it's only temporary until my lungs start improving (Which they are) I started on Six litres of Oxigen, Got completely off at rest friday but means testing says I still need it when exercising for not..

Seven days without a smoke. Tomorrow will be 8 and so on. Some well balanced meals also took about 28pds off me in six days. I'll keep working on that as well.

Im taking it as a second chance. I've smoked two or more packs a day since I was 17. Never being off em more than a few hours at a time. I've been given a chance to start FREE of that scourge and I plan on taking it with the head start I've been given.

Hope you all are well. Know this had little to do with Racing even though Saturday Florence was a goal for me to get out of there. It wouldn't have happened even if I could have made it. I was beat from just a little work around here yesterday and in bed by 6

10/29/17, 9:49 AM   #2
Re: Still kickin
Sprintcarfanatic

Get better buddy & by spring you'll feel like a million bucks.

10/29/17, 9:50 AM   #3
PIT CART

People who have never smoked will never understand how hard it is to quit. Get well Charles 🏁🏁

10/29/17, 10:12 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
People who have never smoked will never understand how hard it is to quit. Get well Charles 🏁🏁
Its as bad as any drug, Just way slower in totally destroying you.

7 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, davidm, FishBurger, Kydehart, luckybuc97, racegal
10/29/17, 10:17 AM   #5
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Youll be in my thoughts pal,good luck. Abe

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, racegal
10/29/17, 10:59 AM   #6
PJ Wright

Glad you got a second chance. Losing weight and giving up smoking at the same time is real tough, but if you're determined you can do it. The rewards will be well worth it. I'm pulling for you.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

10/29/17, 11:02 AM   #7
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Get well soon, Chuck! You will be in all my prayers and I will see you next summer!
You can do it I know you can!

10/29/17, 11:06 AM   #8
BrentTFunk

Keep fighting. Sounds like things are getting better. I don't smoke, but do need to lose weight. I will try to be inspired by you. See you next spring. Think of all the extra money you will have.

10/29/17, 11:21 AM   #9
Stevensville Mike

Well, Charles, you used the old analogy "When you realize you are digging yourself into a hole, the first thing you have to do is stop digging". I quit smoking 21 years ago and to this day I will tell anyone it was the smartest thing I ever did. It wasn't that hard to quit. Hell..... I quit 42..... maybe 43 times! The problem was STAYING quit!

Once you get past the cravings, you'll realize how much better things are. I took up walking. Every time I wanted a smoke, I went for a walk. Walked three, four times a day some times. You have to occupy your time doing something where you are not going to want to hold a square in your fingers.

Sounds like you are on the uptick, though. Good job. It will only get better, bud.

10/29/17, 12:01 PM   #10
TQ29m

I guess I'm lucky, I started when I was around 12, quit when I was 47, smoking, drinking alcohol, salt, whatever the Dr had been after me to quit all that time, he said you can't do that, your body can't adjust to the all at once thing, he didn't tell me that! I was at least a 2 pack a day smoker, not so much on the beer, but enough, I couldn't believe how bad cigarette breath smelled, first Sunday in church, people 2 rows back from me smelled like an ashtray that sat in a tavern, don't know how I stood it, I turned 80, Sept 3rd, not going as strong as I did at 20, but I did change out my own furnace this week, I've lost a few pounds, have diabetes, but at least I know it, most folks don't till it's too late, but I manage it with diet, so hang in there, you have to be in control. You can do it, but you have to want to. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Still kickin